Looking for advise

Old 11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for advise

Hi there I'm new here and looking for a little practical advise from people who are in the know. I suppose I should start by telling you good folks what I need advice with.

I have a buddy of mine who I've known since he was in the 6th grade. We're now well in to our 30's and after a good deal of time apart, I've come to find that for a long time he had been using pretty much anything he could get his hands on. A year ago he "quit" doing the "hard stuff" (ie, coke, heroin, crack and who knows what else) and remained with weed and booze. As of a month and a half ago, he quit doing the weed as well.

Now.. He's a smart guy. No, really I mean that, he's a damned smart guy. He knows full well that the drugs are not only driving him straight in to a hole in the ground, but also effect the lives of everyone around him. He is, however, stubborn and bull headed when it comes to something like - say - going to anything resembling "meetings" or getting in with groups like NA or AA. I can easily say as well that any kind of group with a strong religious theme would also drive him away screaming horribly in to the night. Not to offend anyone, but being Agnostic, this is a point that we both agree on.

I'd like to see him get some help in a non-denominational group somewhere but I'm just not familiar enough with this sort of thing to know what to look for in this area.

I also wish to be there for him in whatever capacity I can be for him and hope to offer sound advice touched with wisdom in a way that I can not only reach him but help him to understand that he's on the right track. I, however, lack such knowledge. This man is like my own flesh and blood. I care for his health, safety and sanity as much as I would my own.

I want to help him. I'm just not exactly sure how to do that. I talk to him regularly and he has called me in the past when he's felt weak. I'd like to believe that talking to him helps put him at ease and keeps him assured that he's on the right track. I know these things take time and patience. What more, if anything, can I be doing to help him out?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ReverendSmitty,

Others will be along soon to offer their experience, but you might want to look at the Smart Recovery Site. It is a secular recovery program. There is a meeting listed in your area. There are lots of articles and a message board.

SMART RecoveryŽ

SMART RecoveryŽ - Meetings

SMART RecoveryŽ - Articles and Essays