Language of Letting Go - Nov. 7 - True to Ourselves

Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Nov. 7 - True to Ourselves

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

True to Ourselves

This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou 'canst not then be false to any man.
--William Shakespeare

To thine own self be true. A grounding statement for those of us who get caught up in the storm of needs and feelings of others.

Listen to the self. What do we need? Are those needs getting met? What do we feel? What do we need to do to take care of our feelings? What are our feelings telling us about ourselves and the direction we need to go?

What do we want to do or say? What are our instincts telling us? Trust them - even if they don't make sense or meet other people's rules and expectations.

Sometimes, the demands of other people and our confused expectations of ourselves - the messages about our responsibilities toward others - can create a tremendous, complicated mess.

We can even convince ourselves that people pleasing, going against our nature and not being honest, is the kind, honest thing to do!

Not true. Simplify. Back to basics. Let go of the confusion. By honoring and respecting ourselves, we will be true to those around us, even if we displease them momentarily.

To thine own self be true. Simple words describing a powerful task that can put us back on track.

Today, I will honor, cherish, and love myself. When confused about what to do, I will be true to myself. I will break free of the hold others, and their expectations, have on me.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

By honoring and respecting ourselves, we will be true to those around us, even if we displease them momentarily.
It took recovery for me to get to know that stranger called "me". And it took time before I began to like her, warts and all.

Today I trust that if I am the best person I can be, even imperfectly, then that's good enough for me, regardless if it is good enough for anyone else.

And today I am able to stand in my truth, even when I stand alone. What an awesome gift of recovery that is.

Hugs