Revisiting the text message dilemma

Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Revisiting the text message dilemma

My daughter just does not get it that I don't want to pay $.15 a text message. She has a cell phone on our plan. She pays the bill for it. She added text messaging at 750 for $10.00 a month. That is okay by me as long as she pays for it. Since we have free mobile to mobile our calls are free. But my text messaging isn't and I don't like to text anyway. I have said it nicely, I have said it in anger and this is one boundary that she does not seem to want to heed. So today I stopped the ability to receive or send text messages from my phone. Even if I did not answer her texts (and believe me I have done that) she continued to send them at a cost to me. So my phone is officially text-free. Now if she wants something she will have to do it the old-fashioned way--call. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

this texting is such a part of their world, lol, good job on the boundary, Marle...
sometimes actions are more powerful than words, I love your style, mom...hugs, Grateful
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Marle)))

You did good. My niece is a texting freak, and I could care less about it. I have the capability on my phone, but by the time I could actually text a message, I could have had THREE conversations on the phone

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Geez Marle, I have unlimited texting as I use about 2000-2500 text messages a month. LOL! I guess I can look at it that I have lots of roll over minutes. But good for you in staying firm in the boundaries of no text messages. My mom says the same thing with me too. But I dont text her either. She knows if I text her its a pretty important reason. So she doesnt mind the occasional one.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh move over, Marle, I am sitting beside you here. I don't have texting because I don't text. What on earth would I want to text and to whom? All my friends work and it's now illegal in Ontario to use the phone or text in a car (thank You God).

Like you, I can e-mail or call when I get home.

Good for you for standing firm on your boundary.

Hugs
Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My youngest AD's stepmother was very kind and got her a cell phone 3 years ago for Christmas on their plan for an extra $10 a month. There was no texting.

When her old phone went bellyup and they went to buy a new one, her stepmother was kind enough to add text messaging for her, and I shuddered when she told me.

Three months later and $200 still left to pay on the phone bill to her stepmother (and that was an ungodly amount because she got 400 text messages free a month), she had pretty well screwed the pooch and her stepmother cut the cellphone off.

Growing up is a biotch!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My daughter knows that if she does not pay for the phone, I make one phone call, report it stolen and have her service cut off. I have insurance on the phone so I will then get a new phone and she will be out of luck. She still has a $736 in collections for the old phone so she can't get service on her own. So she makes sure that she pays. I really don't even have a cell. The cell that she texts me on is my husband's. When he was working she never texted because she knows her dad does not do the text thingy well Hugs, Marle
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I think texting is one more step in society to just not communicate in healthy ways. It also allows for one sided jabs, insults or remarks that may not be taken in the right or an appropriate way. Tears true communication apart. Email is almost as bad. Phones arent too bad, but nothing replaces face to face, calm, mature, rational discussion of a topic.
jmho
Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I was texting back and forth with my youngest son when we were at the camp in the Summer, he was here in Ohio. But he has to wait forever for me, cause I am so slow at it! Not my favorite thing to do.

I do not normally have text on my phone, and heck why pay extra if you don't have to?
Good for you Marle for sticking to your boundaries!

Hugs and happy Friday....
Old 11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love text messaging for simple Q & A that doesn't require an immediate response. "Need cat food" or "will be there by 2", that kind of thing. But if it's longer than one sentence or requires an ongoing conversation, I'd rather talk.

Anyway, nice solution marle
Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marle View Post
My daughter knows that if she does not pay for the phone, I make one phone call, report it stolen and have her service cut off. I have insurance on the phone so I will then get a new phone and she will be out of luck. She still has a $736 in collections for the old phone so she can't get service on her own. So she makes sure that she pays. I really don't even have a cell. The cell that she texts me on is my husband's. When he was working she never texted because she knows her dad does not do the text thingy well Hugs, Marle
And again, our girls live in a parallel universe. My daughter's unpaid cell phone bill is in the $700's too.

She is now on our plan and we had the same issues with test messaging charges above and beyond. And so we cut it off. All of a sudden, she has managed to live without texting.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, girls, I must be entirely out of the loop! I don't even own a cell phone. Still use the what is now termed the land line. First time I heard that I didn't even know what they were talking about. Land line? It is THE PHONE to me. LOL.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't even own a cell phone. Love it! You can't believe how wonderful it is to get away and not have the calls. I had borrowed one when hubby and I finally went on our first vacation. My girls, not even living with each other, had to call constantly about fighting with each other, the dryer wouldn't work, just stupid stuff to ruin out good time. There's nothing that can't wait til I get to it, just like the good old days. Love it.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Painter and Baxter, you ladies are my heroes, and a shining example that keeping it simple is really the best way.

My cell is for emergency use only. I pay cheap rates and use it, maybe 4 times a year. Same with Mr. Ann's except when he travels because then it becomes his only phone. He doesn't text either, couldn't if his life depended on it.

"The phone"...sounds so much better than Land Line.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think texting is a way to avoid having to talk to someone and get that emotional reaction (in the voice or in person.) Letters on a screen allow you to say more than you feel you otherwise can and to hide behind something that emits no emotion.

They had a special on a news show where I live, basically stating that kids are becoming more and more reliant on email and text messaging and not learning how to socialize in person/face-to-face as well as they should.

I send my mom a few texts a day, but always with a pic of my daughter so she can see her (they live 2 hours away.) Otherwise, it's rare that I text. It's just annoying.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cell phone and texting gets very costly. You all know that cell phone is a red spot in my life right now anyway with my daughter. She pays it and the other two phones she had on top of it. I think talking is easier but I know these are new times no matter what it costs them. Good for you Marle.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Marle,

It really depends on what plan you have. I know Verizon is costly if your paying for each text. The young kids are going crazy over texting now days.

They had a special on a news show where I live, basically stating that kids are becoming more and more reliant on email and text messaging and not learning how to socialize in person/face-to-face as well as they should.
I agree with this.

Cell phone and texting gets very costly.
Personally a prepaid cell has been a life saver for me in communicating w/ AH. I got my first one the end of July, and began texting in Oct. When communicating w/ AH can become emotional, and upsetting, text helps me detach much better. I can text 3 times for every minute spent, so it saves minutes also.

NH7
Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I have verizon and they charge me $0.20 per text and a couple of my friends are friggin text happy......they know I dont like texting and it costs me extra but they continue to do it !!!! AAARGH! !!!!!!!!!
Not to mention the $0.49 a minute when I go over the plan's allotted minutes !!!

Everyone should have verizon !!!
I just found out after 10 years that my brother has verizon and I could have kept in alot better touch had I known it !!!!!!!!
I swear he told me he had something else but I think it was just to keep me from calling when I was drinking and using or something......
Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Come on I txt all the time. I have kids that live on the other side of the world and I do not want the calls when it is morning there. So I have unlimited txt for 9.00 more a month and both my kids txt. Now a days it pays to have it. I also have a lot of roll over min. LOL. I now call my parents whenever I want to and it does not cost me a thing. but I cut off phones because the txting was costing an arm and leg.U have to admit, it will be helpful one day

god bless
Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by painter View Post
Well, girls, I must be entirely out of the loop! I don't even own a cell phone. Still use the what is now termed the land line. First time I heard that I didn't even know what they were talking about. Land line? It is THE PHONE to me. LOL.
You can count me out of the loop too!