AS just called...stuff stolen while sleeping on street...

Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

that is a really nice thing to hear. I pray he follows though. I hate to say it, but the months are getting colder and colder, and I pray that he sees that this is not a road to continue on.... How old is your son?

Originally Posted by HurtingDad View Post
Thanks to all the wonderful folks with their advice and prayers. After I took a walk around work and a few deep breaths, all I did was give him some phone numbers and mailed him another copy of his birth certificate (which I had at work). He was thrilled with that and as soon as he gets it (today), he was going to start getting his S.S. card and ore. He also told me he had gotten clothes and was going to call the rehab places.

So...no big Codie here....and we're both feeling better.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

AS is 21 and it is getting cold here...he tells me that when I hear from him. Just another wonderful piece of news to add to the pain....tks again all
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

(((Hurtingdad)))

Although it doesn't get as cold, here in GA, as it does up there, I remember walking around on the streets when it was 15 degrees. The only time I got warmed up was in the dope house.

I didn't want to go to a free rehab. I didn't want to spend $40 of the money I was making (female crack addict on the streets..you can guess how) to get a motel room for the night, because I wanted to stay high.

We A's are a tough lot. I'm praying he uses some of that toughness to get into recovery.

I think you did a great job at not caving in.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-28-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I'm so sorry your heart has to bear this pain. i hope your son stays safe and getting him a new pack and new clothes is a good idea as well as the numbers he needs to get is id back.

speaking of homeless people and addicts that live on the street,
i was pulling up to wawa (for those of you in the midwest its like a 7-11)
anyway the "manager" is chasing a guy who has 2 coffees, to ready made sandwiches and a bag a chips in his hand screaming he didn't pay for it, well, she grabs him and just slaps all the stuff out of his hand, now I understand you want to catch a theif but for crying out loud this was food that he and probably someone else was going to eat, not sell. So i got out of the car and screamed at the "manager" told the kid to sit over there, pointing to off the wawas property and i went in and brought 2 coffees and 2 sandwiches out to him and told the manager I hope she never goes hungry.

probably overstepped the codie boundaries but i couldn't help myself, did she think she was a csi investigator or what.

back to hurting dad, you have a good relationship with your son even though he's on the street, I think it's great that he still calls you regardless of the situation. I'll say some extra prayers for you and him.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I disagree, Rahsue. There are certainly places where hungry folks can eat in your city, Phili. Times are hard, and you have to understand that the woman who works at Wawa needs her job. She probably works very hard at Wawa to keep food in her own kids' bellies. Would you have her lose her job by ignoring the shoplifting? Retail sales isn't easy work. Most fast food locations will actually give the homeless a sandwich if they ask. But they can't just allow people to boldly take what they want when they want it without paying. Where would that lead? It's not fair to expect it.
KJ
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
BBD

Thats wonderful news Hurting Dad. Hopefully with the weather getting colder your son will face what he doesn't want to do this winter and get himself into a rehab....prayers your way and your doing a great job..Smiles, Bonnie
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm don't know about the store's manager chasing the 'thief;' that can be way too dangerous.....but I must admit that I have given some food and drink to some homeless folks who used to sit in the parking lot of the gas station near my last home....

But, kj...yes most cities have places for folks to get food/meals; usually at shelters and the like, and for the most part, many of those places are not all that safe; I know because I've lived in a few in my time.....grrrrr

I've also worked for wawa type stores (7/11 and stop 'n robs) here in Houston, and they ALWAYS tell their employees to NOT go after shoplifters, to just call the police. ...and believe me, even if I hadn't been told, I know that my life if worth a lot more than my employer's 'stuff,' and who knows just what those shoplifters might have....a gun, a knife.....? (heaven forbid I chase after one and catch him/her.....lol)

Back to the original post, somewhat.....I really don't know what to say....Like I said earlier; I have lived on the streets (usually with all my belongings in the back of my truck in a campershell), but I can be a pretty mean presence....lol...and I always had 'something' in the way of protection...

HurtingDad....? The best suggestion I can think of is ..... just do what you feel is best.....for you, if for noone else....what you can feel good about.....I can tell you that I have been without ID, SS card, birth certificate, and I thank God that my mom knew what to do.....and used up all her 'patience of job' that she had at the time - she had to go down to the hall of records in my hometown and wait while the 'little man' searched and made a copy of my birth certificate (wouldn't you know it; mine was still on hardcopy; not on mifrofishe or computer yet.....too old.....lol)....and from that one form (which I then made copies of...lol) I was able, on my own, to get a state issued ID and a SS card.....whew, what a chore, tho.

I guess what I'm saying is, to me, some enabling is ok....yeh, I coulda gone through a whole lotta channels, long distance, and probably gotten my birth certificate (in about 3-7 weeks), so yeh, my mom probably enabled, but while she did that (in a couple of days), I was free to pursue other things....like find some kind of work, some place to sleep 'n shower, some food....so, yeh she enabled, and I'm sooo grateful she did.... (o:

What I've learned, HurtingDad, though, when helping (enabling...?) others....? I have to live with the consequences....(like, if I give them money....it's no strings and I have no right to complain how it's spent). So, just be careful, Dad, and don't leave yourself open to any future resentments..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad he got some clothes, and hope he uses those numbers. I am in your area (North Jersey) and know that the weather is indeed getting colder, today was a beast, and the wind and rain on Saturday was terrible. I don't know what I'd do if my son was on the street right now...my heart goes out to you.

Eileen
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i am the girlfriend of a crack addict, who too lives on the street, has no medical insurance. i can barely help him im only 19. no family with enough money to send him to rehab. its just so sad. i know where you are. my bf is on the streets right now, and all i can do is worry. we he doesnt call i can enjoy things in my life, but i love him so much, i can't help to care.