addicts and their trashed cars

Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addicts and their trashed cars

Was talking with a friend today whose daughter is an addict. We got to talking about the crashed condition of their cars and the reasons our addicts give - which we both as moms consider to be lies.

Which begs the question - just how do these cars get so trashed? If my son was lying about somebody from the second floor balcony dropping a brick that happened to land on his windshield, just how does this stuff happen???

And how is it that one of those spare tires ("donuts") that, according to the owner's manual should be driven no more than 50 miles, has now lasted four months??
Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love the subject matter of this thread.
my last car was trashed by my AS and he didnt even drive just always busting stuff up and hitting things.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

as a former addict, I can only say how MY car got trashed. I let another idiot crack addict drive mine. One was totaled 1/2 mile from my house, as he ran it into the ditch on the way to get crack.

One was stolen, because I "rented it out" to a friend (dope boy aka dealer) and he got locked up and another idiot stole it. It was finally found with back window smashed out, stereo gone, and steering wheel messed up. While that one was being repaired, I rented a car and "rented IT out" for 3 days to my XABF's son. He kept it for 3 weeks..got in high speed chases running from the law, put a whole in the back quarter panel, scraped all down both sides.

Needless to say, since I've been in recovery, the car I have now is in pretty good shape I will admit to a few scratches, but they are minor and have come from my own lapse in judgement (thought I had enough room).

I was really surprised that I could get insurance with the same company I had to report 2 stolen cars and 1 totaled within 6 months.

Thanks for another reminder of why I don't want to go back there

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if I would even like to be a fly on the wall to really know what took place with the trashed car...my husband had this really nice truck but through his armed robberies he had to sell it to obtain a fee to get a lawyer. So he replaced it with this old ford mustang...kind of a pale puke yellow. Not days after he got this beauty did he not come home with the windsheild all cracked up. Well the beauty had a knew name... The Crack Mobile!

I did witness one of the crashes...he wanted money from me and I would not give it to him, so he backed the crack mobile down the driveway and drove it as fast as he could up the driveway right into the side of the house....have to say he did more damaged to the house than he did to the crack mobile...only smashed out the headlight. The next time I saw the car the frontend was all smashed it, claims he hit a deer.

He was picked up one night by the police, the crack mobile went missing and stupidly enough of me I had it insured in my name...so I was panicked as to who had it. So the search was on for the crack mobile, it was spotted so we called the police....what a sight. There was this guy driving it and a girl in the passanger seat, they had the sun roof out, just cruising like they were in a Caddy. Oh, plus they had a pot of cook carrots! They were higher than kites. The guy told me that my husband had given him the car, because he owed him money, I told him that the car was not my husbands to give that it was registered in my name. Not that I wanted the gem, but it was in my name and I was only to lucky that something terrible had not happened while my husband or his buddies had it. So the Crack Mobile ended back up at my place. Word got back to my husband in jail that I taken the crack mobile back and he got a few punches...I guess this is what they call insider trading!

While the crack mobile was at my house I was taking the boys to school and my car was out of gas, the three of us stood there and I looked over at the crack mobile and the boys SCREAMED NO! I said we have no choice we have to take it...off we went, I had to stop at the corner store and when I came out I could not see the boys in the car, they were laying down so know one could see them in it.

He got out of jail, I took the gem out of my name and from there one I have no idea just what happened to the Crack Mobile.

Rose
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Before I knew what was going on with AS I co-signed on a sharp car (stupid)

It was a sporty thing with low profile tires and a quick accelerater (stupid)

He went through the front tires in one month, saying it was because it was front wheel drive, and low profile, and they were bad when we bought it. I believed him (stupid stupid)

I bought new tires (insane)

He went through those, put a deep scratch up the side, cracked the headlight and casing and said he was side-swiped in the parking lot while he was in the movies. I believed him (insane - senile)

I made five payments and insurance that he had promised, and went just about broke ( off my rocker)

Ivan took it in a flood and I got the money to pay it off ( thank heavens...should've learned)

So I went right out and bought him a beater (need I say it again?)

Of course...thats before I found SR
Old 10-23-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This could be a whole new forum - all those poor defenseless vehicles need some support too. take some time for yourself little honda - get an oil change or a new paint job.
- i hope you're all laughing a little when your write these because i have tears in my eyes right now and I cannot tell you how much i needed to laugh. If you werent laughing .... uh sorry for being insensitive

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are right Winnie...this subject could be a forum of it's own!
The smashes and stories that go with it....!

Rose
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love this thread!!

Don't worry Winnie...I was laughing even as I typed.

I recently went back with the insurance company I'd had before. All the "old" stuff came up, but I had already told her about my addiction history and the old stuff was more than 3 years ago, so it didn't count against me. The only thing that DID count was when I totaled my car in May...totally clean and sober, but the GPS fell down on the floor and I reached to get it and ran into the back of a truck.

Bad news was, I had forgotten to pay my insurance (another company) and nothing was covered. Good news is, the only thing that counts against me is the ticket I got, and not the wreck.

Now, I worry more about the other idiots on the road

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

For some weird reason, I had a habit of hitting stationary objects when driving while high. The house, garage, poles, parked cars, etc.

Never once hit another moving object though.

Must have something to do with those pesky stationary objects not getting out of my way.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know if you have bait cars in the States like we do in Canada, the police put them out and wait for someone to steal them and have a video going inside....they have showed the videos, most times it is someone high on drugs, but they are just driving petal to the metal, screaming yelling....smoking thier pipe!

Rose
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my ex borrowed my car. and I didn't get it back for a week. he wouldn't take my calls. he wouldn't return my calls. when he called me he wouldn't tell me where he was. it was pure torture. I took the bus to work. Finally, I found the car, by chance, less that 1/2 mile from where I lived, parked in the alley behind the dope dealers house. You know what was stupid? I let him borrow my car again and again and again and again. He used to run drugs in it. The last time he went to jail, my car was full of drugs and money and it was impounded. It cost a bunch of money to get it out.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OMG - hilarious stuff!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a great thread..

I am surprised that all the stories are different and yet they are the same. This could be another one of the symptoms they list for "how to tell if your loved one is addicted to drugs".

It could have helped me out a long time ago.

FYI - my niece has had one car stolen, returned, totalled, and repossessed.
Another impounded and lost
Another impounded, returned, parked at a repair place and left there for a year until they had it towed
Had another forfeited because she fled a police officer and in my state, you lose your car if you do that

And these are just the vehicles I know about.

Thanks for a fun thread...
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

as Jeff Foxworthy may say,

"if your loved one has had a car wrecked, impounded, totaled, or 'lost' more than once....they may be an addict"
Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah my EXAH and his EXAGF,

He has had 10 cars impounded, 15 car towed. Then he met his girlfriend and he had another 6 cars impounded, 1 car repoed, and 6 cars towed. He know owns 1 car, 1 truck and a motorcycle.

We had 1969 Impala that I was rebuilding and taking care of the 2 yrs he was in prison and two weeks after he got out he got the thing towed, and I was offered 10K for it before he got out.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My daughter had a Jeep that we bought her for graduation. A year later she ran off the road on the way to college to take her finals and did major damage to the front end of it. That was the last time that she drove that car. Since we made the payments we repossessed it and it became mine after the damage was fixed. She has not had a car since and that happened in 2005. She was recently talking about getting a car but after seeing how much car insurance would cost her for a junker she decided that she would settle for being a rider right now. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This thread is hilarious in a sad sort of way. Just think of all those lonely cars destroyed by drugs... My ASD had 5 cars in 4 years, yes she loaned them out in exchange for drugs. Several years ago in this saga the funniest and scariest thing happened. She went on a 5 day crack binge and her car was down in drug land. So we went to find it and when we did there were several people sitting on the car and little kids sitting inside. They were eating fried chicken and throwing all over the in and outside of the car. We got the h--- out of there and said forget it it wasn't worth the risk or the 1500 dollars we had paid for the car. Even worse we bought her more cars after that, can you say codie???
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Addicts have cars?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((out to lunch))) after the one car that was totaled, and 2 cars "stolen"...I didn't have a car until I got in recovery
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a funny thread. AS got a junker (first car) that died. I was getting a new car, so gave him my Blazer to use. I was still making a few more payments on it, and he "told" me he dropped his cell phone and ran into a guardrail. Totalled.

Then he cashed in a 5,000 CD that my dad had left him when he died, for college. Bought a used BMW. Piece of crap car, died. So then I co-signed for a used LIncoln LS. Beautiful car. One month later, car accident...totalled.

Then he got a junker for 300 bucks that died, and when he went to rehab, I had given him my 2005 Honda to use, as I was getting a new car. Now my lease is going to be up, car has burn marks in the ceiling, WAY over the mileage, crack in the front bumper...that I'll have to get fixed..if I even want to turn it in, which I probably won't. I'll owe them so much money for that car.

Yes, I'm stupid too. Also by the time I left, the cops in our town know the Honda and pulled AS over everyday searching his car. Then he began to borrow my car to run somewhere so he wouldn't get stopped. Kicker,,,,I let him...DUMMY:codiepolice