Drug counselors

Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug counselors

Does anyone know of any 800 numbers that I could call and talk to someone who knows about drug abuse and can explain this whole process to me? I need to understand things because I feel if I can understand it I can accept and move forward. I have so many questions running in my head that I just need to talk to someone. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know your situation cassandra. There is an unlimited amount of information on the internet. Or maybe you can call a local womens shelter or treatment center or maybe even your own doctors office.

Also try naranon or possibly an open NA meeting. They probably have meetings in your area. Just look on the internet. There will be lots of information there.

I'm thinking you probably already know what you need to know though. Acceptance is difficult. Understanding is damn near impossible. Especially if you aren't an addict. Once you find and read enough information about addition, it's a good idea just to focus on setting personal boundaries so you don't get trampled on by addicts.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you look in your area phone book in the white pages under drug abuse, there should be something.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BBD

I called social services in our area (Buffalo, NY))) and found an addiction councelor to talk to first so I could understand addiction. Then I found a councelor for myself....I needed the help and it was great!! So, go for it!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Look up the NA hotline in your phonebook. If your area has a 211 the community resource line, you can give that number a try too.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember when all I wanted to do was figure out or understand this whole addiction thing ( and I'm a nurse so I already Knew the clinical aspects) but still I had this pressing need to "understand"

I think that its helpful to learn all you can about addiction and a good place to do that is the internet~~~try looking up the national institute of health I found alot of good info there. Be cautious of site that claim to cure addiction because its just not so and I would hate for you to be scammed.

Also I think it was HBO that did a long series on addiction you may be able to find information on their site

Learning about the disease is a good step, but I am afraid that if your anything like I was your just looking for a way to fix it or stop it and I'm sorry to say thats not something thats in your power.

There are a few things that help me today more than anything and I have to repeat this to myself over and over

This is a disease, its not about me, it isnt a reflection of his love for me or his family

these things remind me that the man I love is in there, many times hes hidden by the symptoms of his disease but hes there
and I have hope that he will survive his disease BUT I have to focus on me and the kids and MAKE sure that we survive his disease

and I do this by working on myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

hugs to you!!! I know how difficult this is but yopur not alone many of us know exactly how you feel and it feels like it never gets better but little by little it can and it does
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Yes.. HBO did do a series on it and you can watch it online.. it was very good.. I forget what website I watched it on because it was linked through another site but I bet if you go to HBO.com you can view it...