Update on my daughter

Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on my daughter

She's snoozing right now, before we head to the ER.

She's officially out of pain killers and withdrawals are going to start soon. Not a good thing when she's still having legitimate pain (acknowledged by the ortho dept) and her jaw is wired shut for at least two more weeks. If she vomits from nausea during withdrawals they have to cut the wires, then do it all over again.

Every dept. I spoke with that treated her has said they can't prescribe any more pain meds because of her addiction. The follow up psych doctor the trauma team referred her to has been gone from this hospital since the beginning of summer. No one knows why this doctor was referred in the first place and can't figure out who would replace her.

So here we are, in the eye of the hurricane. Caught between a rock and a hard place, as the ortho team said. All they can suggest is that she goes to the ER for more pain meds and take it from there.

On a really bright note, she didn't abuse her meds even one time, and still wants to detox when her legitimate pain is gone. According to just about everyone, that is in about two weeks. Can't find any sense in detoxing when she's still in pain.

If you have any extra prayers to spare, she could use them. I'm praying for the correct solution, whatever it may be.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))

Definitely sending out some prayers for you and your daughter. She is REALLY working her recovery, despite being in physical pain, and should be proud of herself.

I think it SUCKS that she was honest about her recovery and they are basically using it against her. I think those doctors need some re-training!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hate hearing about how the medical professionals are handling this. It makes me really upset. I am sending lots of prayers to all of you.

Donna
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She has a plan B - methadone - but they can't take her in until Monday. She's limited in what she can take because of the wires; it has to be liquid form. She hates methadone too but is willing to do whatever it takes. She just has to make it through this weekend without causing harm to her jaw.

I feel so bad for all the opiate addicts out there, who have been in my daughters shoes or will be. No wonder so many of them don't make it
Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Chino, prayers from here continue for you and your daughter..
what about putting her on antiemetics during her withdrawals..to help with the nausea?
I am so proud of you both Grateful
Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She has anti-nausea meds because of her jaw and drinks it religiously.

Unfortunately, she'll still have legitimate pain to deal with (beyond OTC's) if she detoxes. That's a setup for failure and will prolong healing. What a mess.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BBD

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. She really is in a hard place and seems to be dealing with life pretty well right now. Having her jaw wired has got to be painful and the thought of no food to gain strenght just sounds heartbreaking. Walmart has a real good protein drink that I enjoy....well wishes! Your both doind so well. Keep up the great work. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chino, Sending prayers for your daughter. It is tough when they are in pain. My daughter slipped Sunday night and fell at work. She bruised her ribs. She did not go to the ER until Monday night. She also had a severe asthma attack and they needed to put her on a Pred pack so she could not take the non-narcotic prescription pain relievers. So they gave her 10 Ultram. Said that only a very small percentage of people get addicted to them. I have read otherwise. The doctor also explained that since she was an opiate addict over the counter pain relievers just won't touch the pain. So I understand the bind that our daughter's are in. So hugs to you as you go through this with her. It does sound like her head is in the right place and that she will do the next right thing once her pain is gone. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Marle))) and (((Chino)))

Healing thoughts to both your daughters.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-17-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, how tough. I know you are proud of her and I admire how you are handling it too. I am sending tons of prayers for you and your daughter, and Marle for you and Megan too. Gentle hugs
Old 10-17-2008, 11:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The ER docs were great, I think they're used to this stuff a lot more than the trauma unit. By the time it was my daughter's turn, her blood pressure had dropped to 80 over 55, was freezing and shaking. They got her started right away on a drip and blood work, then listened while I talked because my daughter no longer could.

They just kept shaking their heads and said she should be in pain about a total of six weeks, meaning four more weeks of this at most. They said they'd call the psych unit Monday and try to negotiate getting her into pain management before the usual month. They dosed her and gave her a 10 day prescription, said to come back if no one can or will take on her pain management before then. They were so kind and understanding it was almost surreal.

Now the challenge is filling this prescription, because hardly anyone outside of a hospital pharmacy carries large quantities like this. Being the weekend, almost all of our local hospital pharmacies are closed!

Marle, if your daughter is still on subs, I hope the ER took that into account. The ER docs tonight were horrified when they saw how many narcotics were being pumped into my daughter in the trauma unit before the subs were gone from her system.

Prayers for Megan, I can almost see her pain. I saw it on the face of my daughter.

I have to say it again, what a mess!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad you both got the help you needed! I'm really surprised an ER would be so understandiing; your higher powers must have had a hand in it.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Chino, The ER doctor knew about the subs. She is down to 8mgs a day. He called poison control to see if there was any interaction between the subs and the ultram and they said that there was not. On Tuesday she is getting Toriadol (sp?). It is what they gave to those with pain at the rehab. Supposed to be non-narcotic and non-addicting. The doctor told her that she could have pain and spasms for 6 weeks. She has to work and her work as a waitress means carrying and lifting and a lot of walking so she needs something to take the edge off. I sometimes wonder why our daughters needed to be challenged so early in recovery, but I guess that is life and maybe it is a lesson on how to live it clean. Once again sending prayers for your daughter that she will heal quickly and completely. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Chino))))

I'm SO glad your daughter got the help she needs and that they were understanding. Most pharmacies, if the can't fill the whole prescription can fill it partially, and you can get the rest of it filled when you need to.

(((Marle)))

Toradol is non-narcotic and non-addictive. I've been given it for back pain and it does help. Another good thing about it, is it's really good for rib pain. We used to give it to people in the hospital with chest tubes because the tube would bump against the ribs. The toradol worked much better for that than the narcotics. Of course, we gave it IV, but I still think the oral will help.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sleepy, I'm still surprised at the ER and when I woke this morning, I was smiling and said "Thank you God!" I know they've heard it all before but they bothered to check her records. I also brought in her discharge papers from the trauma unit, and showed them where it said to contact a doctor no longer there. I think more than anything that proved plans for pain management were in place. They told me that doctor is in her own practice now and out of state. That was the one time I saw them holding back disgust and it wasn't at my daughter's expense. When that ER doc said we're going to find a solution that involves logic, my jaw literally dropped.

Amy, I've learned a lot about pharmacies! To do a partial fill they have to be able to restock in the time you need it; the big chains restock only once a week because of contracts. If you fill with a chain with whatever they have on hand, you lose the rest of the prescription if they can't restock in your time frame. But surprise of all surprises, I found a local pharmacy in my small town that can do a partial fill. They laughed when I said, oh my goodness you're a real pharmacy!

marle, I think you're spot on about it being a lesson in living life clean. My daughter has been so frustrated about this entire experience, beyond the physical trauma. She said she's mad at herself for being in this predicament in the first place. She always knew situations like this were a possibility and here it is.

She's learned about patient advocates now, the complexities of a humongous teaching hospital, and pharmacy limitations. She's also learned a lot about herself.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((Chino)) - glad you found a "real" pharmacy

It's good that your daughter is mad at herself for getting in this predicament. I had to go through that, it reminded me that I don't ever want to get myself in that position again.

I've got to go to a workman's comp dr. next week (if I can get an appt) and will be going through the "I'm a recovering addict" thing all over again. If they give me a hard time and I need some backup, I'm going to call you

I think you and she are doing an awesome job of getting through this.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-18-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amy, you made me smile. Last night I was thinking about the assistance I've given my daughter and any family or friends who have needed it. I used to do in home volunteer work with senior citizens, and always found great satisfaction in helping them accomplish things they couldn't manage themselves.

Right now, staying focused on myself, I'm asking what I have learned from this entire episode? The answer is know my abilities and limitations, respect my own boundaries. My daughter and I shared a precious smile last night when I told her "you know I'd do that for you if I could" when withdrawals kicked in. I held her hand instead and did what I could -- pray for both of us.

I'll help anybody if I can and I've finally learned to help myself, too
Old 10-20-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

so glad your daughter is showing recovery despite the circumstances. Praying for you and daughter to make it through this storm unscarred.
susan
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for you all in your time of need. (((HUGS))))