As if things couldn't get any worse....

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As if things couldn't get any worse....

I get a call tonight from local police department..."Your son may have been involved in an overdose...you must get to the hospital". I FLY

Turns out..DS #2....who was and is soooo torn up about AS and his addiction...shot heroin today, blacked out, fell down the stairs. Police and EMS says he was not breathing when they got there. But had a pulse. He was intubated, got Narcan, and they brought him back. The cop said from a scale of one to ten, he gave him a 3 that he would make it back. And the boy is now on my couch, released from the ER, throwing up (Narcan side effect? or head injury? Not sure?)...and I am so thankful.

First thing he said when I got to see him, all boarded and collared..was I am so sorry Mom. He said he was real upset (he's 20)...he broke up with his girlfriend, is having a heck of a time finding a job, took the EMT class all summer, only to find out his name is flagged by the state, until a background check clears (a disorderly conduct charge from when he was 16). He said it was only the second time he ever did it. All his friends attest to this. The person he was with was someone he never sees anymore, and he talked to her today. I'm at a loss....I feel so whammied by the universe.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SO sorry to hear about this but I'm glad he made it through. It's so hard at times when they're young to tell them, or really have them understand, how fragile life is. I hope this is the last time for him and you both will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wow, sweetie, I don't know what to say. I've been a little stressed today, and can't think straight and feel terrible that I don't have something to say that would make you feel better.

I'd really like to be able to give you a huge hug, but will have to send it cyberspace:ghug3

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Sure hope your son learned a lesson.
His life was spared from the equal opportunity destroyer.

Take care
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope the fall down the stairs was his bottom.

Prayers for your serenity!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rozied

I am so sorry. I am glad he is alright. I also hope & pray this will be the end of it.

Addiction is a terrible disease.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My son did something similar a few weeks back. It blindsided me because its been years since he was involved with that drug.
The thought of him having to be revived stayed with me for quite some time.

As hard as it is, I'm trying very hard to look at it as a gift. He was spared and given another chance. I was given my son back. It wasn't his time.
I believe his HP has better things planned, right around the corner.

Prayers your son has similar plans
Big Mom ((((Hugs))))
Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your pain. As a mother of a son that experimented dangerously with drugs, I truly understand the agony you must be feeling. HUGS to you AND your son.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cece...hugs to you as well
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the hugs. Equal Opportunity destroyer...wow, that's a good one.

We made it through the night. He was throwing up a bit, and I slept in the room, because of his head injury. I felt they should have kept him the night, but who am I but the mom??

We'll talk today. He did tell me last night at the hospital..Please don't tell Matt (AS). I said I wouldn't. First off, I don't want to cloud AS head in rehab. He'd be worried, and not focus. Plus I told him that AS would probably want to punch his face in, first for being stupid, and second, that he was so against AS drug use, and wanted him to get help that he should go and do the same thing??? So we'll talk. I truly believe this was an isolated incident. The thought that if his friend who was with him (was doing rescue breathing on him when EMS got there), had freaked and not called EMS right away, is soo soo scarey.

Sad thing was, on our way home, we stopped at the girls house so that my son could get the car keys and his things from in the house (cell phone, jacket) and a cop pulled up. The girls mother was outside. The cop came to my car and asked if he could talk to my son, as he got no cooperation from the girl earlier. Cop said that this was the second OD in two days, that the person the day before didn't make it. He said that they wanted names where this was coming from. This is a small town with a HUGE heroin problem. But that maybe this was tainted? or so pure? I don't know.

Anyway son talked to the cop, and the girl came home from work, we were standing outside and she came up like "What's going on", and I asked if she was Veronica, and she said Yeah. I said "That was really stupid of you two today" and she was like what are you talking about? I helped him. and the mother was like "What's going on?" I said they were doing heroin in your house. Girl denied up and down. The mother said so he shows up high and he comes in and falls down the stairs? So the cop talks to the girl also. Girl denies everything. Cop says to her, how was he able to get high, and drive all the way over here, not black out in the car, and does it here? Didn't make sense.

Girls mother starts to harass my son, saying that's it, once you did it, it's in your system for life. You need help, or you'll be a dope addict forever. I was like WOAH....Son said, I did something real stupid here tonight, I know about addiction, I've seen what it did to my brother....
Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Was your son willing to talk to the police officer?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am wondering the cop said it was the second OD at the girls house. That would of been easy to tell if she would roll up her sleeves. Your son is okay right. You need to get him help now, before it happens again. He went to drugs because he broke up with a girl and could not find a job. He is reaching out for help and I hope he finds it. soon.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, my son did talk to the police officer. He told me that he did tell the cop who gave it to him.

No, it wasn't the 2nd OD at the girls house, just in the town. They said they want to find out where it's coming from (of course). And it would be scary if it's bad or tainted..cause it will still happen.

The girl told the cop that he could search the house, and he did, but no dogs or anything. But I'm sure she would have cleaned up anything or got rid of anything, if she offered to do that.

Anyone know if Narcan will keep them vomiting for a long time? I've tried to look it up on the internet, but don't see anything. He is so nauseous and don't know if it's that he banged his head, or a side effect of the narcan.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's a good sign that he willingly talked to the police officer. Hopefully he'll continue talking and not internalize his issues

Call the ER and ask them about his nausea. They are considered his doctor right now. Be sure to ask if they did any scans since he fell down a flight of stairs or noted any signs of concussion.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Here is a website that gives the reactions and side effects. But if it gets to bad call the doctors and find out if you need to do anything else.

Narcan facts and comparsions at Drugs.com
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

so sorry for your son, but so glad he survived. many do not!

prayers he learns to take life on lifes terms, and prayers for a loving mom,
susan
Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry about your son. I am so happy though he made it and feels sorry about it. I hope this is his bottom.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
watching the clouds roll away

I'm so sorry you are having to experience this but truly thankful that your son made it through. Please know that my thoughts are with you at this time.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry that you are going through this but grateful your son made it. I'm very glad he spoke with the police. I lost my daughter when she went back out and snorted tainted heroin. Just one hit was enough to kill her. I wish I knew the source too so that others wouldn't have to die. Please thank your son for having the strength to tell the truth. Hugs...I understand how scary and stressful this is.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh, dear, what a story. incredible what we moms go thru on a regular basis. I do wonder (and don't scream 'cause I really don't know) but is it possible your son is actualy going thru heroin withdrawal as the cause of his vomitting and just has not been honest with you regarding the extend of his using?