Pyschotic Drugs from Rehab?

Old 10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Pyschotic Drugs from Rehab?

Ok - so apparently I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment, because I haven't severed the ties with my A(ex?)GF just yet. There's been some small communication between us since I caught first hand, a nasty nasty outburst from her. Now she's suffering massive pain due to her monthly curse (she has endometrosis - and says that besides extreme physical pain - it also messes with her mentally) - so any "real" communications are pretty much nill. She can't talk - because it makes her feel worse . . . (of course, my guess, not being a psychiatrist - is that "dealing with problems" is the very reason for all the drug use).

In a nutshell - we'd been dating for 4 months or so - and then, suddenly, it was like she woke up one day - and see's me as the bad guy. It seems that she can no longer stand me - and so suddenly, when, up until one morning it seems - she couldn't stand to be away from me. I honestly don't have anything tangible to back up the change; things were, I thought, going really well between us. I'm a pretty good dude. Haven't cheated on or lied to her, dn't resort to name calling or being mean...I really believe I was not only being a "good man" - but a damn good boyfriend.

There were plenty of words & actions of affection going between us too - at least until about 2 weeks ago when I felt a "switch" flip or something. Ever since, when I've tried to talk about things with her, it seems to just make her angry, or "stressed", and - then the major episode this past weekend where she was just obliterated on God knows what drugs.

My question is - at one point - I was helping her "clean the house" - and we were going through the many different pills and capsules we found (this was the day after an attempted detox for percs). When I looked up some of the drugs - about 4 or 5 of them stated they were used to treat psychotic behavior or something like that. She said she got them when she "went away" - to rehab a couple years ago. Said they kept her very drugged up.

Does anyone know if this is true? Do they give anti-psychotic drugs to you in rehab? Or - am I possibly dealing with a WHOLE other set of issues here with her, seperate from the addiction(s)?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sknyfats View Post

Do they give anti-psychotic drugs to you in rehab? Or - am I possibly dealing with a WHOLE other set of issues here with her, seperate from the addiction(s)?
Some do, especially those rehabs that specialize in dual diagnosis.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's possible, but does it really matter? I know how much I wanted all the pieces to the puzzle to fit and to check out everything my addict said to confirm truth or lie. But the reality is addicts lie. Not always, but if they don't want to deal with reality, it's much easier. If the pills came from rehab several years ago or she bought them off the street last week, it doesn't really make a difference to you and where you are at.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, they can and do prescribe anti psychotics if she has a documented DX which calls for it.

Self medication to deal with depression or psychosis from an underlying mental health issue often co exist.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anti-pyschotics are non addictive and are used for various mood disorders. It is estimated that 30% of alcoholics/addicts have a co-occuring mood disorder.