SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Rehab Costs $$$$$$$!!!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/159441-rehab-costs.html)

littlebird77 10-09-2008 07:44 AM

Rehab Costs $$$$$$$!!!!!

I just read a thread about a rehab costing 30K!!! And a while back I think I saw 2K a week...OMG!!! I never knew this and does it get me upset. The addicts I know had medicaid, so I was unaware of the real costs of this. I'm just opening a thread on this to see if maybe some people can share what they might have done to go around things...

Chino 10-09-2008 08:03 AM

Even with my daughter going through withdrawals from subs, our insurance declined coverage for rehab. We paid for it out of pocket, with money left over from last years personal profit (we own our own business). We told her we can't pull a rabbit out of the hat at will, so embrace the experience because we weren't going to save for another one.

I know other parents in my world who don't have that ability to help their children and my heart breaks for them. When they heard how much it cost it was like all the air had been sucked out of them :(

Callie 10-09-2008 08:14 AM

If AH would have stayed the whole time, it would have been around 16K. His 8 day stay was around 3K. They did have assistance for those without insurance though.

jerect 10-09-2008 08:16 AM

The rehab that I spoke with and will admit my AH into when he is ready is 30K. It's steep especially when the insurance wont cover anything other then detox. Most rehabs including this particular one have a payment plan that they will set up for you once you put down a deposit. In my particular case, I would have to put down a 13K deposit and then the rehab facility would then set me up with an intrest free payment plan.

I picked out this particular rehab because it was very highly recomended, it was 2 hours away from home, and the rehab included 6 weeks stay, counseling, meds, food, and other amenity's. The only thing extra that I would have to pay would be for my husbands ciggerettes and his AA material if he did not already have them. They also have an aftercare program that he and I are supposed to attend together once he is out of rehab.

I remember the day I got off the phone with the lady at the rehab facility after she told me what my insurance covered or rather what it didn't cover, and what my payment options were. I felt like I had been punched in the gut. I'm fortunate that his mother is willing to help us with the costs because there is no way in heck that my husband and I can afford to spend 30K on rehab.

There are some lower costs rehab facilities, you just have to call around and see what they offer.

One day I hope to go to Washington and lobby for affordable treament for addicts. No family should have to suffer because of the costs of treatment. It's frustrating because I pay out a lot of money every month for insurance and it wont cover the one thing that I need it to.

TTOSBT 10-09-2008 08:18 AM

Wow! Here in California I know that you can often find rehabs that bill CA state disability for their costs. Of course that means you have to have payed into it by working...
It has been a lot of years but when I went through rehab, disability paid them and then there was quite a bit of money left over. They held it for mw and when I got out of rehab I had 2k to go get a place. Now this was back in 94 but it sure was a sweet deal at the time.

justanothrdrunk 10-09-2008 08:43 AM

I work in the insurance biz (so that means I really know what I'm talking about here ;)).

Nationwide, figure roughly $1,000 per day. This is for a medically supervised, residential (inpatient) stay. Medically supervised means the facility has physicians (M.D.s) on staff. In this regard, a residential facility is no different than a fully functioning hospital except that the rehab facilities specialize and don't have the resources to deal with most other health issues aside from routine/uncomplicated health issues.

$1,000 per day includes medical care/supervision for detox, prescription medication (including medication for any mental health issues), mental health assessments, psychotherapy, psychiatry, counseling, and R & B. Many incidentals are included where available, but not always. These would be on-site fitness centers, swimming pools, art rooms/supplies, additional reading material, etc. Some facilities also offer some alternative care (equine assisted therapy comes to mind), this would usually be extra.

The alternative to the above (usually much less expensive) are those facilities who do not offer any medical care/supervision. Some facilities operate without physicians on staff. In this case though, insurance companies will not cover these facilities because there is no medical staff available.

I do know of one such facility locally that is more in the range of $1,000 per week instead of per day. But like I said, insurance generally does not cover this place.

And, since it has no medical staff available, they do not offer detox services. Patients must be detoxed before being admitted, which would mean a stay in a hospital or other detox facility, costing some more there.

littlebird77 10-09-2008 08:53 AM

This is just crazy... I know these people need to get paid, but most social workers and CASAC's make much less then what is being paid in, and the cost of the facility is not going to be as much as what is put in... I just feel that it is going into someone's pockets and that disgusts me.

SlvrMag 10-09-2008 08:57 AM

The rehab I was in (for 3 days) charged by a persons income. We have very little so it was decided $6.00 per day. It was not a dump either! It is a great place, great food, great people, beautiful views. I liked it.

TTOSBT 10-09-2008 09:02 AM

See, that is what the place I went to was like Slvr!
But there was a physician that went around to their 5 facilities in the county but there was no one on staff. But then there was no detox there either. In fact, if you asked for an aspirin for a headache, they told you to go drink a couple glasses of water and meditate. ;) The place I went to was ALL about no self medicating. In fact, we only got coffee with caffeine on Friday night at the meetings.
Glad I was a lot younger then!

Done_With_It 10-09-2008 09:03 AM

It's not just rehab, it is health care in general. I hate to preach about voting but this is one of the reasons why we need to get out and vote, our country is to the extreme when it comes to health care among other things.

Without insurance I used to be able to get some low cost health care but the låst time I went a few weeks ago, I gave them my card and since I was there to get my appendix checked they said NO, it has to be in your vagina area. (her words not mine) hu?
Well ..... I don't know are you pregeant?
NO??? wtf? then we can't help you anymore, sorry budget cuts.

It's across the board health care, Our country does not care about people's health anymore.

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

outtolunch 10-09-2008 05:38 PM

I agree with " justanotherdrunk". Most inpatient medically supervised rehabs run about $1000 a day. My AD had no insurance so I paid out of pocket.

Rehab #2, Hazelden, referred her out to rehab #3, a dual diagnosis place, that doubled the cost, not including medications. Her meds ran about $3K a month. We are able to claim these as medical deductions on our income taxes.

At the end of the day, I know people can get sober in the Salvation Army just as well as they can at high end celebrity rehabs. It's not the place, but the addict's motivation.

Ann 10-09-2008 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by outtolunch (Post 1939630)
At the end of the day, I know people can get sober in the Salvation Army just as well as they can at high end celebrity rehabs. It's not the place, but the addict's motivation.

The Salvation Army offers a very good program, and like outtolunch said before me, the success rate at any rehab is directly related to the addicts willingness to get well.

I am grateful that in Canada, most rehabs are absolutely free to the resident, even those financially well off. It's funded by the Ministry of Health who funds our hospitals too. Sure, it all comes out of my taxes, but I think it's a worthy cause and am happy to contribute.

I hope the U.S. gets healthcare soon, it is just wrong that any addict seeking help cannot get it unless he has money.

Hugs

lightseeker 10-09-2008 08:33 PM

Amen to the place really doesn't matter as much as the motivation. My husband went to five different rehabs....the last one that he went to was for 90 days and it was $1000 per day. Guess what? He stayed clean those 90 days and a week after he was home he used again.

He got clean when he was ready and he did it by going to NA.....what? 1-2 dollars a meeting if you have it? Granted, he learned a lot (whether he realized it or not) during his various rehab stents.

It is expensive to run programs but it's more expensive in the long run to have unrecovered addicts around. Sure do wish that the health care reforms are going to include treatment for addictions. It is a travesty what is going on and how difficult it is to get treatment.

Spiritual Seeker 10-09-2008 09:24 PM

Some of the rehabs I have talked to will reduce their fees when asked.
The rehab my son is currently in agreed to a reduced monthly fee. Even so, it is still
very very expensive -all paid by me.

Even though the AMA acknowledges that addiction is a disease, Health Insur.
does not give parody for mental illness or addiction.
Insurance paid for His 1st rehab a few yrs. ago for one month, but insur.
only approved one week at a time. Each week the rehab and I had to contact them and jump through hoops to get them to pay for the next week.
If I hadn't been persistent and spent countless hrs. on the phone they would have
wiggled out of paying.

veruca211 10-09-2008 09:29 PM

my AB did a month at Valley Hope in Phx, AZ for a month at roughly $7,000. Look in to it, it was a great facility

stefanie 10-10-2008 05:29 AM

My xah went into Cottonwood de Tucson for a month a few years ago. His parents paid over 30k for 28 days. It was a great place, but he relapsed after
doing the 90/90. The problem wasnt the rehab- he just wasnt ready to stop using.

beegee 10-10-2008 06:08 AM

The one we found out about was also about a grand a day but they detox someplace else then go when they are clean for 2 or 3 weeks. They also charged according to if she was working and of course she wasn't and what I made. I was very happy there was help for practically nothing for a change.

PeaceTrain 10-10-2008 07:12 AM

An update on Canada's medical system and rehab. I have tried to access the free rehabs, run by the Ministry of Health and they have three to six month wait times.
The need is great and the resources are very limited. Both times my daughter went to rehab, we paid out of pocket and got one quarter of that money reimbursed by our universal health care system, when we submitted our taxes. I took a line of credit to pay off the rehab and for those people who do not have that ability, I have genuine empathy because in addiction, time is of the essence.
My prayers to all in getting the much needed help in fighting this disease.

littlebird77 10-10-2008 08:15 AM

I wonder if the rehabs get lawsuit attempts from insurance when the person relapse. Maybe the cost is so high to cover such attempts? I know that is why hospitals cost so much money, or at least one of the reasons. To cover all the malpractice suits... Though I know some of these malpractices were just an act of God, but they still sued and the people got millions.

SlvrMag 10-10-2008 09:16 AM

I think in rehabs' you sign something releasing their responsibility for relapses...I would think.