something neat happened

Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

something neat happened

I changed my car insurance, a couple of months ago, and the lady who signed me up is really nice. We chatted about a lot of stuff...my addiction, her husband just getting downsized out of a job and about her kids.

I just went in to drop off some paperwork and she called me in her office. She found out, 3 weeks ago, that her 21-year-old son has been using meth. He got in minor legal trouble and it came to a head.

So, we talked about it and she's done her homework. When I talked to her about enabling behaviors, she told me they HAD been enabling him (without realizing it) but have made changes. She has a counseling appt. for him and for her, and is checking out rehab.

She said she'd talked to a lot of people, but I was the first from the "other side" and I helped her out.

I HATE that another mom and dad are going through this, but I feel pretty good that I'm in a position to give a little ES&H....big thanks to you all!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Amy, I am so glad you were able to be there in such a wonderful way for this mom...it is great when we are given opportunities to give back...I love how your Hp connected you two up in this way..lovely..thank you for the smile...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

That IS great!

I thought you were gonna say "I just saved hundreds on my car insurance by switching to Geico"
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amy, you're making a lot of tangy sweet lemonade out of lemons these days and I'm glad you're sharing
Old 10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Amy, Thats so great that you can connect with this dad and mom and help them along the way....Hugs, Bonnie
Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Amy, That great that you were abel to help. I know how valuable your input has been to me.
A BIG thank you & a HUGH Hug,
Diane
Old 10-08-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The voice of reason, " from the other side"..........

You made a difference in someone's life.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Amy,

I'm a firm believer that our HP puts us in the path of other people who need our ES&H as well as putting people in our who can share their ES&H with us.

What a gift you are giving her just by sharing your story.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's wonderful to help someone else through this. I think we can read and read all we can but actually talking to a live person who's been through it all and shows us that there is hope and our dreams can come true helps even more.

You deserve to feel pretty darn wonderful.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you are in a perfect place to help others--parents too!

Wish you were here w/ me!
susan
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Amy,
It is wonderful that you could help them and I am sure doing it in person gave you good vibes for helping. I know that you help many here and I am one that will forever be greatful to you. Because I think knowing that you were there and have come a long way back gave me hope that my daughter could also. And so far she is doing good and I tell her about you and the things you have been going through good and bad.
And each day I think when i read your replies to people, it keeps me on my toes not to forget and start enabling again.
So Thank you for being so strong and helpful here to all of us. I could see you helping many in rehab with your experience.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Amy, when you manage to bottle your great attitude and positive feelings...please send me a XL sized bottle!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Hurting dad))

I owe my positive outlook, in large part, to my mom. When I was younger, I went through a very negative phase. Apparently mom got tired of me whining and complaining and made a rule that for everything negative I said, I had to find something positive. There were many days she laughed at me as she saw me struggling to find the positive before I could whine.

To this day, my mind automatically looks for the positive. Sometimes it's hard to find, but it's always there when we look hard enough.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

that is great... it's as though your pain and suffering will help so many people. :ghug2
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Able and willing

I thought about you yesterday, Ms. Impurrfect. My daughter had several check ups at the hospital and she paid a lot of attention to medical personnel and staff. She noticed who actually read her chart; who asked questions and waited, listened for her answers; who acknowledged not having definitive answers. If she were grading, no one went below a B. Even poor attempts at humor were given an A because they attempted.

When she said she thought she'd be a good nurse because of all her experiences, I thought of you. I've always thought if you went back to it, your patients would be relieved to have you.

Whether you decide to go back, go another route, or stay on your current one, it's your ability and willingness to share that will always have a greater impact on you and others.

It's more than recovery from addiction - it's also living, learning, and loving life. It's a purrfect blend of who you were and are now, willing and able to work with an impurrfect world on it's terms.

I just read something that applies to everyone recovering from life:

If you didn't find what you love, love what you find.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

amy, i just want to add my 2 cents. i think you are a wonderful person. you are good. i know that lady appreciated you. you are one of the miracles in life that gives me the hope that i have. hugs,