Woah, stop the presses, she IS drinking

Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Woah, stop the presses, she IS drinking

Couldn't help myself. Boyfriend is visiting friends next door. My daughter is passed out in her bedroom and so I decided to have a little heart to heart with the new boyfriend. He is a nice guy, has been through addiction with his younger sister. I think he is a big codie but he did admit to her drinking. I just told him that she is looking for her next enabler and that if he thinks he can save her, he has my blessing but he needs to know where this is leading. I know that I should stay out of it. And I know that she will just find someone else or go back to the ex-abf. But I needed to know for sure and now I have my answer. She will be given a choice of going back to the halfway house (on a scholarship this time), going to days on her job and go to AA or move. I don't want any addiction under my roof. Boy they sure think that they are sneaky, but we addiction-educated moms are even sneakier Hugs, Marle
Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

ah shoot...I know you feel uncomfortable about speaking to the boyfriend..but at least now you have the truth of where she is and you can be even clearer about where you need to be for yourself and for her....
sometimes our only tool IS the truth ...
Marle, sending prayers for strength and guidence for you and prayers for megan, that as she moves through this, her consequences eventually brings her back to the road of recovery... Grateful
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Marle,
You knew before you knew. And, if you're like me, knowing doesn't really change much. You saw the behaviors and knew she wasn't living a lifestyle of recovery... and you set your boundaries and are sticking to them.

YOUR recovery is shining, my friend. Do the next right thing and be sure to be extra gentle with yourself. This stuff takes a toll on us, ya know?

Hugs
Cats
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Boy they sure think that they are sneaky, but we addiction-educated moms are even sneakier
Haha, this made me laugh....

Good on you, stick to those boundaries, I'm beginning to realize had I stuck to mine no matter what the last few years I wouldn't have turned into such a mess

As a person who has taken many sponsees through the 12 steps my BS detector has become....very....practiced shall we say, as in I can smell BS a mile away, and it RUINED a relationship with a practicing/then newly sober alkie...she would sit there in front of me quack quack quack as I am learning to call it here, and I would just look at her with my mouth hanging open..and I'd say, for example, you know...I know you are lying to me, I have heard this crap literally 100's of times, but the problem began when I'd try to "prove" it, she'd get pretty angry and start with "but i'm different, I'm unique, I can control my drinking with willpower, I'm not like "those people" quack quack quack

Anyway, I'm (re)learning the tools, and I forgot the most important one

Vote with my feet, as in if I'm at your place, I'm gone, and if you are at mine, you're gone.

trying to compromise with that behavior ultimately just made me compromise myself, and not in a good way, things like my happiness, my integrity etc.

anyway, sorry to make this "about me" I just laughed about the "sneaky addiction trained" bit and it made me think of this

Good luck, you go get em girl
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Marle)))

I'm sorry she's dipping into trouble, but I'm so proud of you for the way you are handling it!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-05-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Marle,
Well..she thought she pulled the wool over your eyes, but you're one smart cookie. Can't blame you for having an innocent conversation with her BF....but I think you had the big picture, anyway.

Hugs........
Old 10-05-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She admitted it. We are working on a plan for her to move. I don't expect it to happen overnight. We are going to see what she can budget for different things. She has promised to come home after work and that she will respect our boundaries until she moves out. But she knows one more time and she is gone apartment or no apartment. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Marie..... way to keep your composure!

Peace xoxo
Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marle View Post
I don't want any addiction under my roof.
You've come too far to go back and good for you!

Prayers for your ongoing serenity and your daughters sobriety.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Marle - you're doing the right thing. That probably explains why she's been coming in late - either to avoid you while drunk or sleep off a hangover.

Good for you for enforcing your boundaries.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Marle,

I know this is hard but I also know that you know addiction and recovery. Take extra good care of yourself. You have my support and prayers as you go through this.

Love -
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BBD

I;m also so sorry Marle. She was doing so well....I just can't get it..But you did the right thing even though I know its a hard judgement to carry through. Hugs, Bonnie
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is what it is, and you're handling this just fine.

I'm not sure when it is, but there comes a point when we no longer need proof, when we no longer need our suspicions validated...we just know and that's good enough for us. You knew and when it was confirmed nothing changed, except that the truth was out in the open where everyone could talk about it.

Hugs to you and prayers for everyone.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Marle,

I'm sorry your AD is back out there and sorry you are having to go through this again.

Like the other moms have said, I always knew in my gut. Denial was the name of the game early on, but as time went on, that mama's gut didn't lie.

I'm proud of the way you are handling this. Sounds like boundaries are in place in order for you to maintain some peace and serenity. Good for you.

In the meantime, I'm keeping both you and AD in my prayers, praying that she will just get sick 'n tired of the disease controlling her, and praying you feel the love and support of your recovery friends here as well as the peace that working a program can give.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((marle))
Your recovery is shining (as usual), your daughter is lucky to have a mom like you.
I will say a prayer for Megan tonight.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cmc

marle....sending prayers & support.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry this has happened I was really hoping she would stick with it. It has to hurt but you are really showing all of us how to be strong. Sending prayers your way.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Sorry to hear about your daughter's relapse.
I hope she finds her way back to recovery.
You must be disappointed.
You obviously know what you must do.
Your daughter does too.
Wishing you both all the best.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
turning red!

((Marle))
she admited to drinking or did she actually relapse on heroin? (i know most here think it's the same thing as drinks usually is the first step towards DOC but i tend to be less dramatic -or more naive!)
anyway, you are both in my thoughts.
x
Carine
Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Marle

Big mom hugs for you:ghug

I'll keep you both in my prayers, stay strong, maybe she can pick up the pieces before they get scattered all over the place....