How long

Old 10-04-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How long

Just wondering if anyone has any time tables on how long it takes for crack users to start getting their brains cells to start working again? I know that sounds silly, but you know what I mean!!! Ad has been in jail now for three weeks and I was just wondering when the brain starts to heal. I still have not heard from her but have been told that she has been taken to doctor. She is fine and was told that she is expecting twins and they are due in Dec. I am still raising her two kids. We are fine. God help the little babies. She goes before the judge on Oct. 14 to find out her sentence. Everyone else thinks the judge will let her out. I am not so sure. Guess we'll see. Love to all.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have an answer for you Painter, but I want you to know that you, your daughter and your precious grandbabies are in my prayers. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

In my prayers too, Painter. Bless the little grandbabies too.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No answers from me either about brain cells. If my sister's brain ever starts to work again I'll be singing it from the mountaintops... but I'm sending good wishes for you and the little ones too.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
krhea75

Sometimes it does feel like their brains have been replaced by mush, doesn't it? Bless you for taking care of the babies.
krhea
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

painter, from my personal experience( ah is a crack addict for 15 years) the one and only time his "brain" seemed to function "normally" was after he had bottomed out, lost the house, went to jail and was actually clean for 6 months. At that point he started to take recovery seriously, take better care of himself and his responsibilties etc. Basically it was the ONLY time I had a "normal" husband. Unfortunately for him, it did not last long and he has relapsed. IMHO, I really think it depends on many factors and individual addict. It seems to depend on how much/often they use, for how long, how bad their "bottom" was/is, and whether or not they are done and willing/ready to accept help and be serious about recovery. Not sure if this helped at all, just my experience with crack addiction. I'm sure others will be along with some input too. My prayers go out to you and your AD and her children.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i read somewhere that it takes about a year ..your body is producing new cells each day and it takes about a year for all the cells to be replaced with clean ones (that is if they dont use in between that time)
Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

when my AH was in treatment the therapist told me that he wouldnt come out of the "sick" thinking for at least 6 months and basically said dont take anything to heart for at least 6 months because his brain is still in a fog................

but truthfully because of the addiction, and because it never leaves it can only be put into remission ~I'm not sure it ever really goes back to normal but then again what is Normal

so sorry for what your going thru prayers for you, your daughter and all her children both born and not yet born
Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I takes longer when there is no treatment for the disease, for sure. Jail is not treatment, so maybe the judge will mandate her to treatment. Ya never know.

Crack was not my drug of choice, but a lot of my friends in NA were crack heads. They are all leading normal lives, fucntionning normally now. Don't know exactly how long, but the good news is, there is no permanant brain damage from crack, though there may be permanent heart damage sometimes.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all!!! The new news is that I heard that ADBF is doing pretty good. He is moving into a town house and has started to get furniture for it. Has gotten twin beds and some other furniture. At least that is what his family is telling me. But I was so upset tonite. Their aunt and other grandmother took them overnite. When they bought them back tonite, both were in the same clothes they took them in, had not even washed their little faces the whole time. But the kids came home and were crying after them. Hurts me so much. Maybe when they are older they will realize . But this means that I can't even get a little break without worrying. Ughhhhhhhh. Thanks all.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Painter -

Well, you've got to figure that the brain automatically starts healing from the moment of the last use. It just takes a long while. The 90 day mark is an important one as is the 9 month mark. The science behind all of this continues to see noticeable healing up through 18+ months. My sober crack using husband seemed to plateau around 18 months. He used for about 20 years and the micro vascular damage that his use did is now what is causing problems.

This is a nasty disease. Hope that her pregnancy continues to go well. Thinking about you.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been where you are with the AD using and expecting. Sometimes the babies can be a blessing from God. I pray she wakes up and realizes the gifts she has.

Prayers for you and yours,
susan