I'm leaving....

Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm leaving....

Because of some posts I have encountered with a certain individual, I am picking myself up and leaving the group. I want to thank you so much for your help and wish you all the best. I am becoming so very angry and do not like the person I can be when I am angry. I feel this is God's will to put myself in real physical meetings, and not just online. For those of you who wish to stay in contact, please message me and I will exchange emails.

God Bless,

Sharon
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((LB)))

I'm sorry you feel you have to leave, but we have to do what we feel is best for our sanity and serenity. I'm glad you're going to f2f meetings, and we will be here when/if you want to come back.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a shame you can't do both. It's a shame you are letting one person run you off of something you like. That person is renting space in your head and that's a shame. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Face to face meetings are the best! Real hugs from real people! BUT, SR has been a life saver for me too! Hope to see you posting soon. Take care!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sharon, there is an "ignore" feature that you can use so you don't have to read anything posted by anyone who gets your dander up. I hope you will consider using it and stick around.

I have reminded a few tonight and lately that it is important that we all mind our manners here and show respect for each other. Respect is part of the rules and one of the most important parts of recovery.

I ask you or anyone to click the Report A Post button to let a moderator know if disrespect is shown by anyone. It helps us see and review each situation because some nights we just cannot read every single post on every thread.

Give it some thought, Sharon, or take a breather for a day or so, but please know you are welcome here and that with a crowd this large, there will always be someone who makes your teeth hurt, but I've learned to just pay attention to the ones who are sharing or need recovery...that's why we're here.

Hugs
Old 10-02-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you are getting to some f2f meetings. I have found the combination of that and SR to be very valuable. I also found that if a poster or posters were triggering me, the ignore button option here was a fantastic feature. I didn't even have to know that post was around. Kinda wish I could use it on my boss in real life sometimes
Guess my point is, sometimes a little time off helps but no decision need be forever and you are most welcome to post any time.

Edit to add:
Guess Ann and I were posting at the same time...Gotta love that ignore feature
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sorry you feel this way, I too hope you use the ignore button and keep posting, but you have to do what you feel is best for you.

Big hugs and my prayers will follow you no matter where you are.

:praying:ghug
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree LB - stick around. Hit the ignore button, don't let one person ruin all of the benefits that you can gain from SR.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just agree with everyone above. Please don't let one person get the better of you. Ignore and just ignore some more.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AW Sharon...I'm so sorry to hear you're leaving.....but u have all my info so please stay in contact ...looking forward to hanging out and talking!!!

Smooches,
Denise
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sharon, please don't leave. You have helped me in so many ways, just by reading your posts and the few messages we sent each other. I hope u would just block the person who is bothering you.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish you wouldn't go. I stopped writing for a bit also because of someone here. Then others told me to continue.
I wish you would reconsider little bird.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't let others steal your peace. Try to remember...most people that post as addicts or alcoholics are sick. I know I am. That's why I'm here. People don't come into recovery peaceful and serene. It's an everyday thing. We are sick people.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

****{Littlebird}}}
with all that has been said, I hope you reconsider and hit the ignore button

and stay...I have really enjoyed your participation here... Grateful
Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just want to say that I am touched by all your responses. I did not know about being able to ignore someone on a message board so I will do just that. I will stick around, but I am making a physical attempt to go to face to face meetings. Just to let you know where I am… The boyfriend is in jail, my cousins' baby is being tested for cancer and someone very close to me is going through treatment for cancer. So you can see how some words struck a nerve… My life is a mess, and I am humble enough to admit it. I surrender myself to my higher power and to humanity....Just to give you a brief history so I can share with the group and any new comers… I stress my education level and employment at times to let you know that you do not have to be unemployed, or homeless to be at your worse… I was a party girl going to the clubs, and playing around. I sold, I sold to junkies, and doctors, yes, doctors. I would break even and thought what a great way to make money, and I did. I sold more to make money and did not use my supply becuase what I sold was not my DOC. While I played, I obtained a full scholarship and made dean’s list every semester… I never lost this and graduated, and no one ever found out. After 9-11 my anxiety became so bad, and not having medical, I self-medicated myself to the point I could not function without it. (I live in NYC and anyone here can tell you the terror and sadness was not just for that one day)…… I went to a facility where they told me I was an addict and I would need to become an impatient to detox. I was told that I was an addict and I would die. I was told I could not drink coffee. You want to laugh? The coffee comment was what had me walking out the door. I was not an addict or at least at the time refused to be seen as one. I took a few days off of work and stayed in my room. I have not used since, and that was four years ago. I have no desire to use, and look at it as being a club-kid who stepped a little too close over the edge… I found it does not stop. I met a wonderful man, who is an on again off again addict. Now my reason for being here, is this: Who am I? Who am I to judge an addict? I know where they are and I know what they are going through. I am on the other side of the fence, finding out that there is no fence. I created this border, because with me, there is no borders in my God’s world. We are all human and we are all so very beautiful people, who can laugh and cry, and at times it seems like the tears flow out of us more then the laughs. I am learning so much from this board. You hear that new comers? I would never in my life go to the self-help section. I wanted to diagnose the problem myself. I read Freud, Jung, quantum physics, Buddhism, Catholicism, Islam I read it all.... I humbled myself and picked up this book so many of you talk about... I am leaning that this self-help book, “Codependent No More” is what I need right now... I need to is stop thinking that I can do this alone. I recently heard someone say: “If God made us perfect, then we would have no need for each other.” Being together and in support is the basis of humanity… I will end it at that.

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((LB))

Glad to see you're sticking around I'm sorry for all you are going through, but I've found support (here and f2f) makes even the worst things bearable.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-03-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome back

V
Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
cmc

I'm so glad you have decided to stay.
Thank you for sharing your experience, strenth & hope.
You have come a long way, and your humility and willingness to change are inspiring.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I'm glad you are staying too!!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I got in on this late but wanted to chime in and say how really glad I am that you are staying around. I've had periods here too where some comments were really off-putting and made me feel like it would be a good idea to move on - I'm so glad that I didn't and am really glad to know about the block button.

I get so much from your posts so I selfishly am glad that you are here. The focus is on us as individuals and our own growth. Having an addict in/around/not in our life is really not the point....it's how we chose to live. For each of us that is going to be different.

I know that my F2F meetings help me a lot and I also know that being able to connect here helps me a lot too.

I am so sorry to hear of all of the issues surrounding you - especially the loved ones that are sick. Thoughts and prayers going out to you!