SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Putting one foot in front of the other... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/159032-putting-one-foot-front-other.html)

itisatruth 10-02-2008 08:21 PM

Putting one foot in front of the other...

Led my first alanon meeting tonight!

What I realized as I sat listening to others share about the topic I picked, was that I am making progress!!! Now, people have told me I was, and I kind of knew it, but tonight I really could see it.

Not sure how, but the extreme anger I felt for a long time is not there. It feels good to not be mad or resentful so much.

I am getting better at letting go -- which feels great -- you know, not trying to do everything and fix everything -- that controlling I am so adept at.

AND, most importantly, I am beginning to really forgive myself and accept me for who I am.

All this is not to say I don't still have things to work on, but sharing something positive for a change feels good. I also heard so much of "me" when other people shared....further proof we are not alone in this thing.

None of it would have happened without SR (it started here) -- Thank you all so much!

Impurrfect 10-02-2008 08:26 PM

Way to go!!

I don't see my progress much, until I see someone who is still where I was. I think we ALL still have things to work on, but isn't it nice to see how far we've come?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

itisatruth 10-02-2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Impurrfect (Post 1931598)
I don't see my progress much, until I see someone who is still where I was. I think we ALL still have things to work on, but isn't it nice to see how far we've come?

I think that's what it was.....hearing others helped me see where I was - I remember that place but feel the change at the same time....I know I still have a ways to go.

BayAreaPhoenix 10-02-2008 09:25 PM

(((itisatruth)))

I had a similar experience tonight - listening to someone else share the "unique" story, looking for a little guidance (she's thinking of going to Alanon), etc. I listened, and listened, I understood exactly where she was coming from - her story echoing most of ours and I realized, even tho I have these blips where I'm so worried I might be slipping backwards, I'm actually further along than I thought.

Yeah for you for seeing your own progress, it is something to be proud of!

Here's to more progress (not perfection!)

:ghug3

itisatruth 10-02-2008 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by codeinewife (Post 1931659)
(((itisatruth)))

I had a similar experience tonight - listening to someone else share the "unique" story, looking for a little guidance (she's thinking of going to Alanon), etc. I listened, and listened, I understood exactly where she was coming from - her story echoing most of ours and I realized, even tho I have these blips where I'm so worried I might be slipping backwards, I'm actually further along than I thought.

Yeah for you for seeing your own progress, it is something to be proud of!

Here's to more progress (not perfection!)

:ghug3

Good for you too CW! The progress - not perfection - concept is a great thing to remember as well. We do the best we can. Hope your friend gives it a try.