SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   After 8+ months clean, son has relapsed and disappeared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/158998-after-8-months-clean-son-has-relapsed-disappeared.html)

HurtingDad 10-02-2008 09:38 AM

After 8+ months clean, son has relapsed and disappeared

I haven't posted since May. My son is somewhere in Manhattan, living again on the streets and I'm heartbroken.

While not naive, I was extremely hopeful. He had a good job as a waiter in a restaurant that he liked, a nice 3/4 where he lived and things seemed good. I've heard from him twice in about 4 weeks, the latest was yesterday where he informed me that his Hep C, which was in total remission is back fullblown. Of course he could be lying as a sympathy trick. I haven't forgotten how addicts lie.

I've been following the posts and as always there's good news and bad news. My prayers has been going out to all who are suffering, addicts and families.

I know what I'm supposed to do and not do...but damn it...it's tough.

Impurrfect 10-02-2008 09:41 AM

((Hurtingdad))

I'm sorry he's relapsed. For most of us addicts it takes more than one try to "get" recovery.

It's not much consolation, but a little bit of recovery can mess up his high. We can't totally get rid of the voice inside our head that says "this is not living".

Hugs and prayers that he'll get back on the road to recovery soon.

Amy

Freedom1990 10-02-2008 09:43 AM

I'm sorry for your pain.

I work really hard to live in the moment. My oldest AD has never ever gotten into recovery. Her denial is like a thick steel wall.

I have faith that God has a plan for her, and find peace in that.

:ghug

JMFburns 10-02-2008 10:20 AM

Dad,

So sorry to hear about your son relapsing, but am glad you came here where you knew you'd get comfort and support. None of us want to be here but I'm dang glad I've got you all in my life!

caileesnana 10-02-2008 11:14 AM

Sorry for the news, but keep praying. God answers prayers and there is hope. This board is full of it!!

sincerely, another parent,
susan

HopeandPrayer 10-02-2008 11:19 AM

Keeping you and your son in my prayers:praying
Barb

laurie6781 10-02-2008 11:44 AM

Dad, I am sorry you are hurting, but................unfortunately this is what some addicts and/or alkies have to do a few times and some more than a few to reach their bottom.

I know what I'm supposed to do and not do...but damn it...it's tough.
This is the HARDEST THING you will ever do in your life, whether it is a child, a spouse, a sibling, or a parent, I know, I have been on both sides of the coin.

Although I had to take my addiction to the max and have the TOD put on my ER chart, my recovery from addiction these last 27+ years has actually been easier than my recovery from Co Dependency the last 24+ years.

My addiction recovery is pretty darn good, and even if under stress the thought flits across my mind how a drink or a drug would sure help right now, that's just it, it is just a THOUGHT and I don't desire or have to act on it.

Now, let my Codie side rear it's head, and One More Time "Ms. Fix It" wants to get in there, wherever there is at the moment and FIX IT. My sister and I are working together keeping each other AWAY from her youngest son, yep he's back in active addiction, it's too the point now, his number is blocked on our landlines and our cells, and if it's a number neither of us recognize we let it go to voice mail. But DAMN it is hard! So I and the others on this board know exactly where you are at.

So, Dad, please come and share here. You can vent, rant, rave, scream, cry, yell, and even laugh............................................. ............just :codiepolice

We do care very much.

Prayers going out for HP to watch over your son.

Love and hugs,

BBD 10-02-2008 01:04 PM

Hi Hurting Dad, I hear your pain. We've all lived through this and hopefully your son will get some help when he's hit bottom. It's too bad thats what has to happen while we sit around in so much pain. Hang in there and know we're all here for you. Smiles, Bonnie

marle 10-02-2008 01:28 PM

Sending prayers that your son will want recovery again soon. And prayers for you and your family that they may find some peace in the knowledge that his HP has a hold of him. Hugs, Marle

Jody Hepler 10-02-2008 01:52 PM

Many of us have lived through this - but the emotional pain is really hard.

As long as there is breath, there is hope.

Keep posting - we are here for you.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

:Val004:

littlebird77 10-02-2008 06:24 PM

I work in midtown. I promise you as I walk on the sidewalks, I will say, "God please let this man's son that is walking on these streets walk towards your grace."

sleepygoat 10-02-2008 11:45 PM

8 months is a good long time and that amount of clean time actually bodes well for his giving recovery another try - he now has something to compare the using life to.. I know it isn't much but it something... so keep the faith (as they used to say back in the day).

12platoon 10-03-2008 01:14 AM

dad, sorry to here about your son, my mother has been there lots of times with me, but she kept her faith in me, so don,t give up

ur in my thoughts
12patoon

rahsue 10-03-2008 05:45 AM

first I want to agree with impurrfect, in most cases it takes a few recovery attempts for the addict to finally get it. keep the faith and hope.
my RAS is alittle over 9 months and i worry about relapse quite often. We can only do so much and i know you know that but try to concentrate on good things. i believe your son will come around. it will take him to get healthy just be there for support when he does.

mooselips 10-03-2008 05:55 PM

Sorry dad that he relapsed.

There is one good thing though, he has tools in his recovery toolbox, and it should be alot easier for him to seek sobriety.

Hugs to you...

TTOSBT 10-03-2008 06:11 PM

My prayers are with you both!

lightseeker 10-03-2008 06:46 PM

Hi - just wanted to let you know that I am sorry for your situation and hear/understand your pain. It's so disheartening when this happens. However, your son has some serious clean time under his belt and he knows how to get it. Hopefully, he is also learning more lessons about how to keep it. HP will hold him tightly - as you will be held too....although the path can feel awfully lonely at times.

Just sending thoughts and prayers.

sistergldnhair 10-04-2008 07:00 AM

Sending prayers and support your way. I know how very hard this is for you, and I come here often to vent, or just read to know I am not alone.

grateful2b 10-04-2008 07:09 AM

****{Dad}}}
I am sorry for your pain, do not give up hope, there is always hope,his clean time was well spent.... my prayers for you and your son; that you will find some peace and understanding and he will seek out recovery again....remember he is in his Hp's hands .:hug: Grateful

Hangin' In 10-04-2008 01:54 PM

Dad,

I'm sorry for I know this pain.

And I am thankful you know what to do. Yes, it's very hard, but now is the time to get out of the way (in case he calls trying to lure you back into the middle of all the mess OR if your codie side kicks in and you ty to contact him).

Love the page in the One Day at a Time book that says (paraphrased), "Get out of the way so their HP can get to them."

Very hard but everytime I do it, it really is the best thing to do for my RAD and me.

Hugs and prayers for both of you,

Hangin' In