SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Did he leave because of Crack or the Other Woman (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/158653-did-he-leave-because-crack-other-woman.html)

hello-kitty 09-29-2008 12:26 PM

Love can compete with crack. Crack will always win. It is an obsession. It takes over an addicts brain and they can think of nothing else but doing crack. There is no room for love in the life of a crack addict. Only for manipulation of those that love them.

lisa1235 10-04-2008 06:12 PM

hello-kitty i can agree with some of that but love can conquer crack..its the love and respect i have for myself now that keeps me from using.i dont think anyone else could have loved me enough to quit though.thats something i had to get myself and many many meetings later.

Neverwanted 10-20-2008 08:30 PM

IS it likely or possible that we are used to expecting a miracle that the smallest of good deeds or victories - are so overrated (for codies) that we rejoice a lil too damned much and get back into the YES YES YES! HOORAY! adrenaline rush for the small victories that we repeat the cycle with them??????? I am not saying the small vicotries are not essential to the bigger picture and survival of all affected by addiction..,but I wondered if those small victories can be celebrated with some reserved happiness so we dont appear to be such suckers and let them falsely think they have us where they want us for further manipulation. I guess that is part of the CD cycle with the addict?

rose 10-21-2008 09:59 PM

Tawight,
I had to reply to your post, as the same thoughts and mind games played on me. My husband became addicted to crack after 18 years of marriage and 2 sons together who were 11 and 14 at the time he became addicted. My husband was 42 years old and ran off with an 18 year old crack prostitute.

The thoughts that haunted me of what I could have done better for him, how could he leave me for this type of life....but he didn't just leave me, he left his 2 sons as well and he loved them so much. That is when I really realized just how powerful this drug is and at any cost or loss, the crack comes first!

Rose

NeedingHelp7 10-21-2008 10:20 PM

I am not saying the small vicotries are not essential to the bigger picture and survival of all affected by addiction..,but I wondered if those small victories can be celebrated with some reserved happiness so we dont appear to be such suckers and let them falsely think they have us where they want us for further manipulation. I guess that is part of the CD cycle with the addict?
A definite rollercoaster ride for sure.

outtolunch 10-21-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by tawhite (Post 1924450)

He made me feel like it's because of me...that he left.

Let's turn this around. You allowed him to make you feel like this. It's all about choices, his and your own. I don't even know you and I know you don't deserve this crap.

outtolunch 10-21-2008 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by frankly (Post 1925766)

What I realize now, is that I had it all along...inside me. When I started loving me again, I found what I was looking for in him. That gaping lost feeling in my soul, started feeling filled again.

I no longer try to hide my sickness behind his addiction. I am co-dependent. I have to work on that every day, one day at a time.

Love and Hugs to my fellow brothers and sisters.
B

Thank you for sharing this. It's a powerful message.

hope213 10-22-2008 03:43 AM

welcome to S.R. it is the codie in us that makes us feel & do the things we do. an addict is a user of drugs & other people too. he got what he wanted from you,whatever that was. do not let him lower you. you think you love him but there is so much more out there.so much better. focus on good things,focus on things you like to do. do them, live your life.keep coming back here. prayers,