Update on My Brother

Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Smile Update on My Brother

My youngest brother had a court date and we were all so concerned that he might get 20 years because of his past record.

Well he got 60 days in county jail and 3 years probation with 1 yr. intensive out patient rehab to begin as soon as he gets out of jail. He says he will start going to meeting while in jail just to help get his mind set right.

Mom is of course sad because he won't be able to celebrate the holidays with us. But we all agree that we would rather see him in jail than in a casket...

Thanks for all the prayers ya'll have sent out for my brother.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Splendra)))

I'm glad things worked out so he doesn't have to do 20 years. Yes, he will miss celebrating THIS YEAR'S holidays with you all, but hopefully he will get his act together and you will have many more years to celebrate with him.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

My brother has said he wants to work on getting and staying clean several times. He has gotten clean before. His G/F in in a 6 month inpatient rehab center. He will have to go everyday for a year and his g/f says she will go to meetings with him when she gets out so it is good. I am soooooooooooooo glad he does not have to do 20 years. It would have completely broken everybodies heart in my family that's for sure.

He seems to have a very good out look and seems to be thinking there really is a God who answers prayer...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear Splendra, so happy that your brother will not serve 20 years. Can't see where that would have served any purpose. Would not have helped him probably made him worse. My husband worked in prison system for 26 years and I have heard too many stories. But still what amazes me is that my AD is in jail now for shoplifting and will spend a month in before she even sees a judge. Commonwealth is trying to get her a year. I really freak out with the uneven justice that this country has. There should be a across the board sentencing. I have never believe in the one judge being in charge. What if HE has a hangover or fight with his wife, then the person in court will be paying.
But I pray that your brother will come out with a new outlook. Love to you and your family.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy to hear the good news. It is a good thing that he is doing some time and will have consequences. Could be his wake-up call. Sending prayers that it is. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-23-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

My brother has suffered a lot of consequences through out his life over drugs. He has been to prison many times.

The first time he was busted he was very young he was the youngest man in federal prison and was kept in solitary confinement for 2 years in Atlanta Federal. The people he got busted were professional men; one was a Lawyer and the other was a Pharmacist they were financing and making the dope while my brother sold it they did not serve one day while my brother served 6 years he was only 17 when he went in and got busted when he was 16. I personally have always felt a little bitter about that. The federal agent that busted him taught him how to shoot dope and did it with him.

He of course learned a lot while in the pen with all the real pros in the federal pen. He was young and very impressionable. My dad was very sick at the time and died while he was in prison. He was so sick that he could not even go to court with him or help him make legal decisions. They were very close but my dad was so sick that he could not help to guide him. I feel very much that the federal government stole my brothers life from him so many years ago....I think my brother deserves a break and I am going to pray everyday that he will be able to fight his addiction. There is more but I just don't feel like writing about it right now...Please pray some more for my brother he really is a sweet guy. Thanks for reading this.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Prayers for your brother, Splendra...
And for you... :praying
I'm sorry this happened to your entire family...

Shalom!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Splendra,

So thankful for the sentence he got. And only we recovery folks understand it when we say, "Oh great, he's going to jail!"

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A common misconception is that jail/prison will provide drug treatment. Many times the people come out worse than when they went in. Some prisons have inmates locked up for 23 hours a day with only 1 hour for exercise ect...

tiburon
Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

your mom should be gratiful that your brother will be home for the holidays next yr. & the next & ect. as long as he stays clean & sober. i am so happy he got another chance. i do not believe my son will b as lucky. i am sending prayers up for your brother & sending you & your mom a big hug.