SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Can Crack Addicts quit using on their own? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/158222-can-crack-addicts-quit-using-their-own.html)

tawhite 09-20-2008 11:18 AM

Can Crack Addicts quit using on their own?

Does anyone know of a Crack Addict that has actually quit using without going to rehab? My ex-husband actually went to a Christian Rehab Center in Texas for about 3 months. He came back healthy had gained so much weight but was back out there using again in no time. He claims he doesn't need rehab anymore, because he knows the program. The last time I talked to him he claimed he was not using crack anymore and used more when he was with us. I don't believe him, but I was wondering could it be done.

devastated 09-20-2008 12:35 PM

Hello

My son is also a crack addict. He has never been in a rehab only prison! Too bad they never forced him to get into a rehab it may have helped him pick a tool here and there.

I really don't know if they can quit on their own; however, I know after my so was in prison for 6 years when he came out he was clean and productive and actually happy for 5 years then started using again!

I think this drug is mentally addictive!

I'm sure there are many recovering crack addicts around. Anything is possible when you WANT to do it! In other words, they have to want to get clean.

All we can do is pray.

Hugs, Devastated

Done_With_It 09-20-2008 12:49 PM

I believe with a lot of hard work anyone can quit any drug on their own if they work a good program. There is so much help out there now it is almost impossible not it "IF" you really want to quit.

There is a plethora of recovery choices, online support, free support, you name it. But it is not easy, and you have to want it.

Me personally I stopped a bad meth habit, a bad cutting habit, a basically a lifelong eating disoreder purging/starving all on the same day.
I think most would say it was impossibe for me to do on my own, especially considering I was two minutes from suicide. Actually the hospital I went to get help at, said I needed intense in-patient, at the very least, full time day patient or I would die, they also said I needed insurance and/or a lot of money.

I did it without rehab, just used any resource I could find to help me, that I felt did help me in the way I needed. That is what worked for me, not saying it can work for everyone. Just my experience.

I think the most important thing is to keep yourself healthy because that is the only thing we know the truth about and can control.
:ghug3
Here is a huge list of help for him and that may help you as well.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...i-recover.html

lightseeker 09-20-2008 02:11 PM

my husband went to 5 rehabs and he went right back to using 5 times. Then, he finally decided that he was ready and put everything in place that he needed to get and stay clean. That was 2 years after his last stint in rehab.

Everything that he learned during that time is what ultimately helped him to "do it on his own". I don't think that he really did it on his own as much as it was on his own time.

He just wasn't ready until he was ready. But he sure did know what it was going to take.

BTW - he has now been sober from all drugs (crack abuser x20 years) and alcohol for 3 years and counting.

Impurrfect 09-21-2008 08:13 AM

I'm a recovering crack addict. Years ago, I was abusing opiates, went to meetings, IOP (intensive outpatient treatment) and had no problem quitting the opiates. However, I met the man who introduced me to crack.

I got locked up for almost 6 months, came out and stayed clean for a good period of time, but I still kept it in the back of my head that I could use at some point in the future. I relapsed, for a week, and hit a new bottom.

This was 18 months ago. I don't go to meetings, but am forever grateful for all that I learned there and still apply the principles. I rely, heavily, on SR and the many friends I have met here. I have a few family members who are very supportive of me. Basically, I do what I need to to stay clean, and live my life in the best way possible.

I also know that if doing it "my way" starts to not work, I will do whatever it takes to get back into the recovery form of mind.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

devastated 09-21-2008 09:14 AM

Thank You

Lightseeker, Impurrfect, anvilhead for sharing your success with us. I pray each day that my son will finally have had enough.

I think he always thinks he can do it just one more time. Let's see what happens this time. He's been clean for 3-1/2 years (prison) and gets out next month.

There you go, Tawhite, success stories. Isn't this forum the best??? Just to remind you and I there is always hope!

Hugs, Devastated

helpus 09-21-2008 10:25 AM

One of my daughters friends was a crack/herion addict. She found out she was pregnant & hasn't touched anything since. Same with her boyfriend. They have been doing very well so far. The baby is now 4 months old. They did it on their own, no program.

devastated 09-21-2008 12:03 PM

hELPUS

Just shows to go ya, when you're ready, you're ready! Good for them for not bringing another "crack" baby into this world.

Hugs, Dev

littlebird77 09-21-2008 03:02 PM

I have to also say, when they are ready. I have a friend who quit it on his own. I think a lot of his recovery was his faith in a Higher Power became greater and greater.