Good News Today!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Good News Today!

Dear SR Friends: I heard today from my son in rehab that he will be allowed to come home for a visit this weekend! He has requested a 24 hour pass but does not know if that will be approved- it might just be for the day.

Brief Background: My son is almost 23 and was in recovery for about a year and a half- last spring he dropped out of school and asked to move home- also stopped attending meetings and ended up getting a DUI in May- was put on PBJ with the blower device in his vehicle.

In mid August we went on vacation and he decided not to go as his job as asst groundskeeper at a professional baseball field was very busy that week.

Halfway thru our vacation week sheriff calls in the middle of the night- son arrested for DUI, took one of our vehicles that sister uses and crashed it so he stayed in jail until we returned then went right to rehab. Obviously his license is gone for some time and he also expects to serve 30 days or so in jail.

ANYWAY- the really good part is the nice talk we had on the phone tonight about how great he feels and how he can see now through AA and the rehab how he kind of missed the point of AA the first time around and tried to work the program without actually going to the trouble of making any real changes in himself or his way of thinking.

I thought this was pretty insightful. He said the last time he ACKNOWLEDGED he was an alcoholic but that is very different from ACCEPTANCE. Hmmm- I hadn't really thought of it that way.

It was really nice to talk to my son whom I hadn't really spoken to in many many months!

It has also been really wonderful reading all the posts and information on this forum- so helpful and such a consolation
Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

This is wonderful news that your son is progressing and embracing recovery. He is going beyond temporary sobriety...to working a program and a shift in thinking.

You must be happy, hopeful and proud.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is great news. My daughter has said basically the same thing. First rehab she just did what she needed to do to get out so she could use again. This time she really listened. Enjoy your visit. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-19-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sounds as if your son my "get it " this time around. keep coming back & let us know how it is going & how u r doing. keep working your recovery & let him work his. it works if you work it.prayers for u both,
Old 09-19-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Snickers,

Thanks for the post w/inspiring news. I agree with everyone that your son seems to have reached a new level in his search for recovery. I will say a prayer for his continued awareness. Keep up your own work on yourself.