Can his OD change him?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting stronger each day

Can his OD change him?

Hi everybody. it's been awhile since i posted about my brother, because the situation has spiraled so far out of control that i couldn't even begin to put into words what he was doing to my parents. this past wednesday he finally overdosed. he's been in the hospital since then, and is getting out on monday.....but the odd thing is that his personality seems to have changed. he's turned back into the brother that i knew and loved 5 years ago. that awful, evil sounding, abusive and mean person who has been torturing my parents is no longer present in his eyes. can an overdose change a persons personality? he doesn't even know that he overdosed because he suffered some brain damage from oxygen deprivation and we have to keep telling him why he's in the hospital, so it's not like he's had some sort of spiritual awakening. it's just like somebody sent us back 5 years and he's that brother i loved again. is this common? i just am having trouble wrapping my head around the whole thing.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I don't know, but don't look a gifted horse in the mouth! I hope he remains the brother you used to have!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, brain damage can make people child like. It's likely that as his cognitive ablilities and his memory return, so will his desire to use and other symptoms of his addiction. Best to stear him into drug treatment upon his hospital discharge. You never know; sometmes overdoses do make people realize how bad it is and turn their lives around.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not familiar with ODs but want to send some prayers your way. Hopefully this is his bottom and he get the help that he needs. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Part of this may be due to the brain damage. My XABF's dad had a stroke and "forgot" that he'd ever smoked cigarettes.

I am glad you have your "old" brother back and he survived his OD. I don't have any advice as to whether this will last, but I certainly hope so. Maybe his doctors can advise you on possible treatment for his addiction.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no idea if that was the turning point for your brother.

My oldest daughter overdosed in front of her children, subsequently lost custody of them, and is still doing the same old same old.