What Happened To the " War On Drugs"

Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rozied

What Happened To the " War On Drugs"

First of all I don't understand our country. Why do they let it go on? "The War on Drugs " my eye, who are they kidding, noone has ever really done anything to stop it. All you ever heard was rhetoric, empty words, but you don't even hear that anymore. Everyone can see what a destructive thing illegal drugs are to a countries youth, why is it not taken more seriously. Everyone here at SR that has a child whose life has been torn apart by the use of illegal drugs, has to know what I mean.
I sit here reading post after post from other mothers & fathers and I could just cry, because I feel so bad for them and their kids.
There has to be something we as citizens can do to make our elected officials take this matter more seriously.
I have been watching the news alot lately, and you never hear a word about our country's drug problem. All you hear are politicians that want to get elected sprouting off about issue after issue, and not one of them has even mentioned it.
I am just so angry.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I agree that the system is broken. But I don't think you would like to hear my solution.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

If it makes you as angry as it makes me you probably thought of the same solution I did!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

They were just talking about how the meth problem
in California is going to sky rocket again because
of the budget cuts, the people working on the
"meth problem" have all but been cut from their jobs.
Something like that, they basically gave a warning to
watch the meth problem because it is going to skyrocket
soon.
Nice eh...
Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rozied

Oh thats awful. there is NOT enough funding as it is and then to cut more is crazy.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yep, I think that's just another excuse!!..Funding, what funding, what did they do with that $$ in the first place.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rozied,
I kinda think that the fight goes on here all the time to stop drugs. I am in Florida and I have seen bails of pot in the keys when fishing. They are always catching people left and right growing stuff in homes. Busting ships that have smuggled in stuff. I am always greatful but it still isn't enough.
I don't know if drugs are as bad everyplace as they are here but you always hear about it on the news here. Someone is always getting killed I mean it is almost an everday occurance. I guess if thy could stop it from coming in the country totally it would help. But these guys are so clever when you watch to see how much trouble they go to, to pack the drugs secretly you have to wonder how desperate they are to make money.
No second chances I would say.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

This is a link to another thread I started on the "war"

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1900422
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh- I would like to hear your thoughts!!
I do know our federal tax dollars were just spent- 100 million of them to make Denver and St. Paul streets safe for a 4 day party!!
Wouldn't it have been nice- if they could have extended it 3 more days and used some of that money and special forces- to get rid of some of the drugs on the streets of those cities??

I will say it- pretty simple.. drugs are big money. No different than the days of prohibition.. That is where Joe Kennedys money came from. Just alcohol then- now it is, cocaine.. meth.. illegal RX drugs.
It is about money and power rozied. Billions made by some of those people you see on the society pages.
Corruption.
My question??? Hmmm I think that the world would be a different place if our federal and state employees- police.. prosecutors.. public defenders.. judges.. senators- congressmen... mayors.
A requirement of their jobs- heck.. pro athletes or olympians have to do drug tests!! For their jobs- Hair follicle test them and... hmmm that may change some things!!
At least it would be a start!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rozied, you don't know how many time I have said if only drugs were not on our street our children would be safe. The war on drugs is big, the authorities are working hard going after the "big guys."
Here is a link below that shows how hard they are working.
The Aug. 27th article is "Nine arrested for Violation of Combat Meth Act", A few of those arrested are in our town. Meth is being watched bigtime.

I would advise everyone to get educated about Meth, so that you can see the signs if it is being done in your neighborhood/town. Everyone can help win the war.

DEA, News Releases, 2008

NH7
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

They could legalize marijuana, tax it (as well as make use of all the byproducts for energy, clothing, paper, etc.), and use that money for health and education services, and redirect the ridiculous amounts of money spent to fight it towards drugs that are actually more harmful than alcohol.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by rozied View Post
If it makes you as angry as it makes me you probably thought of the same solution I did!!!
Angry isn't the right word for me. I'm more... I don't know how to describe my emotions attached to it. Maybe disappointment is a better word.

I'm all for legalization. Legalize and regulate all of it.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I used to be really big on the war on drugs until I saw how my youngest brother was drug thru the system.

Putting people in prison when they are addicts is not the solution.

The CIA is the biggest drug dealer and they are the ones bringing most of the dope into the country. The laws are set so that government gains more power over the people and that addiction will continue to be a growing problem. The gov. is the biggest enabler of all. Hello is anybody listening?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes splendra, I'm listening.....of course who really thought 'the war on drugs' was ever going to work; just look at who started it.....good ole tricky dicky....lolol

This country, heck, the world, has gone after the drug problem bass-ackwards from the beginning.....

You're right, splendra, look at the prisons.....I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd bet that way greater than 80% of the persons in prisons are there for drug-related offenses.....all the users gotta get the $$ to buy their drugs. Going after the suppliers is just silly; then the users will just have to beg/borrow/steal more and more to pay for their habits.....doesn't look like much of a solution to me.....

....and just try convincing a youth dealer who's making upwards of $1000.+ a week selling drugs to stay in school.....hah, he's already making more than his teachers.....and of course all kids are bullet-proof; the fear of death to them just isn't much of a fear at all.....

Now.....if we'd spend just a portion of the money we've spent on 'the war....' on a little preventive medicine....more rehabs instead of fewer; more after-care, sober-living facilities, half-way houses, etc.; more therapists and councelors instead of fewer.....heck, anyone in business knows that it's demand that drives supply....simple, and I so like 'simple' lolol.

NoelleR
Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We have been told that the reason there isn't more treatment options locally is because lots of the people in power are making to much money off the addicts. Not your street dealers but the higher ups that sell to them.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

YTD, the U./S. has spent $35.3 billion losing the War on Drugs.

Forbes estimated that alcohol absue costs the U.S., $185 billion a year.

There is no cure. At best, rehab and treatment can create a foundation for someone completely committed to sobriety.

I am one of those who does not see a difference between alcohol and drug abuse other than the latter is not legal. Most people start out with alcohol. For some, it becomes their DOC. Others move onto pot and from there to other stuff.

Either we either legalize and regulate the quality and tax the heck out of it, putting gangs out of business overnight or shoot to kill, as happened in China, in the 40's.

This middle ground thing is going to bankrupt the U.S. in more ways than financial.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostparent View Post
We have been told that the reason there isn't more treatment options locally is because lots of the people in power are making to much money off the addicts. Not your street dealers but the higher ups that sell to them.
Abuse of prescription drugs now exceeds the use of illicit street narcotics worldwide.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I imagine the state I live in is about the same as others. But here the local police don't do much of anything. It seems like everyone is on the "take" on way or another. At times you can go to the county jail and simply throw the drugs over the fence. Does not seem like much enforcement here. Had tenants a yr. ago-every weekend they had 5-6 cars at the house-a house full of dope smokers and the police did nothing. I was told to keep my nose out of it or I would have the police hounding me. I went balstic and told them to GET OUT. They did and left bags of pot, needles, etc. knee deep in their trash. I could go on and on with horror stories. These addicts are on welfare, etc. If they should happen to work-just go to the local $ stores-no drug tests there. They "live" better than hard working people. Heck, you can get script drugs on the street easier than going to your dr.

Just flat pi$$es me off. I will be able to move out of this mess one day!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

IMO....Someone, or lots of someones in high political status is making plenty of money on drug trafficking...payoffs, kickbacks, hush money.. the same with the cost of oil, and the people being abused by the price of gasoline.

It's the same with both...someone making a big profit, I sure can't see it changing anytime soon.

Sad`sad`sad
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

The drug laws in the United States are designed to INCREASE drug use among the population not reduce them. People, the social architects have been employing psychologists for decades to create effective propaganda and now the globalists are using them to completely dismantle society through the phony war on drugs. If you've read Brave New World and know a little back story on the Huxley family legacy the connection here should be fairly obvious. Why is the legal drinking age 21 even though I can die for my country at 18? Because the social architects know these types of policies breed addiction. Think about it, if you're taught to avoid something throughout your entire childhood chances are when the opportunity arises you'll get a little curious about all the fuss. That's why most people on college campuses today are alcoholics. Point. Blank. Because of my family's non Anglo-Saxon origin I've had small doses of alcohol since I was eight or nine. In fact, I would say my consumption was encouraged by my parents. At this point most people would be freaking out, but listen to this. I've never been drunk in my life because there's not really any mystique about it, at least in my eyes. Alcohol is just another beverage...one that requires personal responsibility. But alas, most families aren't like this and as a result they breed alcoholics. The drug laws are basically the same. Since the war on drugs began around 1970 heroine usage has doubled and cocaine usage has tripled and yet people still clamor that we need more government control. In a nutshell, the drug laws are designed to create dependence in the population to the point where nothing matters to them except consuming the drug of their choice...even if they lose their freedom in the process.