What Happened To the " War On Drugs"

Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I have worked with teens professionally for yrs.
In my observation it is clear that drug/alcohol abuse + addiction are at epidemic proportions. Lots of things are on the rise:
anorexia, cutting, ADD, ADHD, oppositional behavior, violence, high school drop out rates, depression, etc.
Younger and younger ages are inclusive.

What is going on with society, families, gene pools, morals, etc. ???
It is not simply a matter of the government fighting the drug war.
What is driving the demand for such a large supply and the acceptance of youth
to be zoned out ???

No answers from me, just lots of questions and observations.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
I'm of this thinking also.
If I had the answer, I'd be SCREAMING it from the rooftops.
The "right" would say better parenting...the "left" more rehabs.
Neither work unless the person is willing.

Let us not forget those who are "responsibly" addicted due to legal methods. A time bomb waiting to blow.

As a society we have come to rely on instant gratification. Its a problem that spent generations in the making.
How the heck do you "fix" that?

JMO...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
rozied

Boy was I surprised at all the responses I recieved. Also I didn't expect such a diversity of opinion......
First Off, EVERYONE who recieves public assistance should be drug tested, and they are not!!! If you have to be drug tested to get a job the same should be true for people on welfare. I have written to more public officials than I care to remember about this. Never once have I recieved an answer.
All public officials should be drug tested, and I don't think they are since I read one of the above posts. Boy is that ever hypocritical. I just had to edit to add that. I never realized this before.
There is so much more I want to comment on but I'm just too tired tonight. I have to reread them and write more tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cece1960 View Post
As a society we have come to rely on instant gratification. Its a problem that spent generations in the making.
How the heck do you "fix" that?
Level the playing field and then take it all away. With the national debt over $9 trillion dollars; more bailouts and foreclosures; a recession or depression constantly looming; it's possible we'll see that level playing field in our lifetimes.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

1. Get tougher on our boarders.

2. Get tougher on hard drugs.

3. Get tough as hell on doctors who make side-script money on things like oxycontin, vicodin, etc.

4. A justice system that doesn't just force one "drug/alcohol" class after another. They rarely work. People don't take them seriously. When someone is on their 4th DUI and they're just taking the same alcohol class again, there's a problem.

That's a start. But, it's such a bad, nasty problem. Sometimes I feel nothing will ever fix it as long as there's a market.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I will repeat this again....The drug laws in the United States are designed to INCREASE drug use

More laws is not going to cut it. Addiction is a public health issue and should not be treated as a criminal offense.

If laws worked for this there would be less addiction not more!!!

Liquor prohibition caused more crime which is why they had to end it.

Families of the nations addicted individuals and of school aged children have got to understand the psychology behind the drug laws that they were specifically designed to make addicts and more crime. If drug laws that we have here worked we would not have prisons full of repeat offenders learning more and more about crime.

People who do not have criminal records are having a very difficult time getting jobs at this time and with a criminal record it is almost impossible to get a job especially now days. These laws are working against us.

Please understand the addict mentality that wishes to defend it's position and rebel like a child that is not getting what it wants. Prison and legal battles glorify this in the mind of an addict....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
YTD, the U./S. has spent $35.3 billion losing the War on Drugs.

Forbes estimated that alcohol absue costs the U.S., $185 billion a year.

There is no cure. At best, rehab and treatment can create a foundation for someone completely committed to sobriety.

I am one of those who does not see a difference between alcohol and drug abuse other than the latter is not legal. Most people start out with alcohol. For some, it becomes their DOC. Others move onto pot and from there to other stuff.

Either we either legalize and regulate the quality and tax the heck out of it, putting gangs out of business overnight or shoot to kill, as happened in China, in the 40's.

This middle ground thing is going to bankrupt the U.S. in more ways than financial.

In Indonesia they still shoot to kill.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by NeedingHelp7 View Post

I would advise everyone to get educated about Meth, so that you can see the signs if it is being done in your neighborhood/town. Everyone can help win the war.

DEA, News Releases, 2008

NH7
Long Beach kids' store owner busted in meth raid

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - The owner of a Long Beach store catering to low-income children has been arrested for allegedly dealing methamphetamines out of his Happy Moms and Kids Nutrition store.

Benjamin Enrique Vega, a 42-year-old father of three, was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly selling drugs out of the store across the street from St. Mary Medical Center. He's in jail with bail set at $30,000.

Police Sgt. Paul LeBaron says undercover officers began tracking Vega about a month ago and repeatedly witnessed drug buys amid the store's inventory of baby formula, diapers, milk and eggs.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

In my observation it is clear that drug/alcohol abuse + addiction are at epidemic proportions. Lots of things are on the rise:
anorexia, cutting, ADD, ADHD, oppositional behavior, violence, high school drop out rates, depression, etc.

to be zoned out ???

I have as well, and I have noticed the same trend, it's now almost the norm
to cut, have an ED, etc. I was a freak when I did this stuff.
I don't know, it's crazy, makes me wonder if they are right about 2012
sometimes.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

yea it really is a real problem, a problem most want to ignore. i've really thought of calling and reporting the drug house my b/f used to go to b/c they are huge in our area...and i resent them so much. i dunno.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rozied View Post
First of all I don't understand our country. Why do they let it go on? "The War on Drugs " my eye, who are they kidding, noone has ever really done anything to stop it. All you ever heard was rhetoric, empty words, but you don't even hear that anymore. Everyone can see what a destructive thing illegal drugs are to a countries youth, why is it not taken more seriously. Everyone here at SR that has a child whose life has been torn apart by the use of illegal drugs, has to know what I mean.
I sit here reading post after post from other mothers & fathers and I could just cry, because I feel so bad for them and their kids.
There has to be something we as citizens can do to make our elected officials take this matter more seriously.
I have been watching the news alot lately, and you never hear a word about our country's drug problem. All you hear are politicians that want to get elected sprouting off about issue after issue, and not one of them has even mentioned it.
I am just so angry.
Just my take, ymmv, The War on Drugs! is an absolute farce. Treating what should be a public health issue as a criminal issue. Making addicts criminals, putting big $$$ in the pockets of dealers and government. And in the meantime, very little left over for treatment. Not to mention, glamorizing street drugs for the kiddies. In the 60's, the issue was much clearer, with doctors routinely prescribing heavy meds to anyone that had the money. We tried the whole thing way back when, treating alcoholism as a criminal issue, and failed miserably that time around, you wonder when folks will start learning history rather than repeating it.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
rozied

WOW, Did this raise more questions than it answered or what.
I think everyone had something valuable to say but naturally there are no answers.

I totally agree that addiction should be a Public Health issue, and not a crime.
If it was handled that way it would stop illegal drug trade and there would be money for treatment.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

"The Highest Virtue is achieved through non-action. It does not require effort, "because virtue is natural to people.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

In my opinion our whole country is being run by pharmaceutical companies and where there is money to be made involving drugs they'll put all they have into it. I started researching them, Johnson and Johnson, mainly, when they were beginning to implement "smoking bans" and I still owned the bar. Startling at what studies they do.
As far as smoking went they had created their Nicoderm, and other like stop-smoking aids. Spent lots of money on creating them. What they found out was that they really didn't work for long term but did the job as a nicotine replacement. Now, they did studies and found that if they could implement smoking "bans" people would more likely than not buy these "aids" to use in places where they could not smoke.

They have done the same thing as far as cholesterol medicine. They have been the ones to set the level of "safe" cholesterol and will keep lowering it and lowering it until every single person is on one of their drugs. They're even starting to put kids on them.
You say it might cause liver damage, heck they have a pill that will cure that.

They do the same thing on drugs, legal and illegal. They want drugs on the street, they want people addicted and they want to be the ones to sell the drugs to make them "clean".

They want people depressed to sell anti-depressants, they want ADHD and every other disorder out there to be full blown so they can push some drug to make it better.

They even create illnesses, such as restless leg syndrome.

They do not want to find a cure for the common cold because of the billions of dollars made on OTC medicine's.

There's very few laws on the books that Johnson and Johnson hasn't at first made a product for then lobbied to make a law forcing people to purchase it. Right down to car seats for infants.

Law enforcement only makes a half hearted attempt at the "war on drugs" to keep us pacified, while the rest make money off of it.

Yep, you're right, no answers.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I think your assessment is "spot on", baxter. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

A memorial to known causalities in the war on drugs....

In Memorium
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

to be zoned out ???

Your post has haunted me for the past 24 hours.

My sense is that as a society, we have lost resilience, the ability to bounce back, stronger than ever.

Instead, when the going gets tough, we go shopping, pop a pill, open a bottle of wine, order another round, bleed to feel, eat or restrict.......whatever it takes to give us instant gratification instead of coping with the here and now and knowledge that this too will pass.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

What is driving the demand for such a large supply and the acceptance of youth to be zoned out ???

It's everywhere, TV, Movies, Songs, Billboards, The Internet, My Space,
Friends, Parents, Concerts, Sisters, Brothers, where do you not see
that drugs and alcohol are cool. By the time you usually catch on to
that it's because you are looking for a way to quit.

Every see Gossip Girl, Privileged, Weeds, 90210 all these shows makes it seems
like you are weird or abnormal if you aren't a party person.