how many addicts got high with their kids?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a HUGE fear of mine. AH has already started getting high with my nephew and sees no problem with it because my nephew is an adult now and was getting high already anyway--and why? Because his father has been getting high for a long time and more than likely he has gotten high with his Dad (which I too think is sick).

On the booze/drug thing--for me depends on the drug--but all of them are illegal (unless prescription). But booze and drugs all go in the same bag for me when it comes to addiction. I don't want my kids getting high with their Dad (and at least he has actually said out loud he would NEVER do that because he is ashamed of himself and would never want that for our kids). However he drinks a lot and I have caught him giving our older son a sip of beer-which I remember my Dad doing too. Our older son is VERY aware of his father's drinking but knows nothing of his drug use. Because he is hypervigilant he knows every ounce of alcohol that goes into AH's mouth--and it bothers him. Last night I met some friends I had not seen in a long time at a restaurant/bar--we sat outside. At a certain point my older son told me he wanted to leave because drunk people were there (not my friends but people sitting near us). So drunk = scary to him--probably because he has seen AH unable to control his anger when drunk and was also in the room once when AH almost hit me when he was in a blackout.

But, it still worries me. Our older son knows how I feel about all of it. My mom was an alcoholic and not one of those soft and fuzzy drinkers--cruel to the core. He knows I did not have a regular parent-child relationship with her like we have and he also knows that a friend's mom and dad knew my situation when I was younger and kept me out of my house as much as possible to my mom would not "be mean to me". So I hope that and the fact that his birthmom did not want him because she wanted to party will be a deterrent. I just keep telling him it is wrong, wrong, wrong and people get hurt bad in their heart when someone who they love drinks and uses drugs. Our younger son is only 3 so I have not had these conversations with him--yet.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My ex let my daughter have a party at his house when she was 15! I knew she was having a sleepover checked on them and everything. It was his weekend to have her. I found out because they took pictures and when I went to wash her coat a couple of weeks later I found them. He was in the pictures with a bottle in his hand, his arm around her and a bag of weed laying on the table. Ain't that something! His excuse, she was going to do it anyway, so she may as well have been in a safe place where he could watch over her. Craziest thing I ever heard.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

my nephew knows he likes the taste of cider, and he knows it helps him get to sleep, i have no idea if it was his mum or his dad who introduced it to him but he happliy tells me he used to drink with both of them, he's eleven, to me that is very wrong on all counts.