Other Book Suggestions?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Other Book Suggestions?

Obviously the AA books.
But I got really good advice on the "Codependent No More Book" by Melody Beattie. Got it at the library and loved it so much that I am buying it right now on Amazon. Any other suggestions?:codiepolice
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some suggestions should come up when you put that in your basket. She (Melodie Beattie) has daily thoughts (which Ann most of the time kindly adds to the board each day!). Good for you! It was liberating for me too when I started to "read" about me and all these doors and insights started flooding in!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got a Bible that I love called a TouchPoint Bible. I like the way it's set up. I bought it because I couldn't find a thing about addiction in my other one and people kept telling me all the answers would be in there. (BTW, a good friend pointed out that it falls under Idolitry).

Beautiful Boy is a well written heartbreaking story from a meth addicts father.

Get Out of That Pit is by Beth Moore. Christian principles, but like Melody Beattie, it gives you some great info in such a gentle way. Beth is very down-to-earth and easy to follow.

Anything written by Hazelton Press (Co-dependent publisher) is probably worth reading. Terence Gorski publishes through them and has written some very famous stuff. Also, Language of Letting Go also by Melody is lovely.

Hope this helps. It's SOOOO great when someone turns the corner and starts devouring info that helps them instead of their A.:codiepolice
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I post from Melody Beattie's Language of Letting Go most days here, because this book has been like a Bible to me, I have literally worn out copies.

And Codependent No More is a book I have read several times. It is amazing how many of us felt like she was looking in our windows when she wrote that, it's probably one of the best ever written on the subject. I'm glad you are getting a copy for yourself.

Hugs
Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addict in the Family put out by Hazelden.

Don't know the details of your situation, but this book does a good job explaining the behaviors of those with addiction, what's going on with their brain, and our reaction to all of it but then goes on to offer ESH on how to change ourselves in order to heal and to, hopefully, release the addict to reach healing him/herself. Written by someone who was/is the family member of someone with addiction.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IPT

Per a recommendation from a poster to one of my threads. I just started it and so far I really like it.

Emotional Unavailability : Recognizing It, Understanding It, and Avoiding Its Trap (Paperback)
by Bryn C. Collins
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Woman who love too much - is a REALLY popular book on relationship addiction. I brought it last year and read it 2x already and when be reading it again soon.

Confusing love with obsession - fantastic book if you want some serve emotional pain. Lol. I found it pretty hard hitting but good in terms of labeling my behavior for what it honestly is.

Al Anon have this great one called 'Survival to recovery' too.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Perfectly Imperfect

I was just reading everyone's posts and I had to laugh a little. I try to find humor in things if I can - it helps keep me sane. Isn't it amazing that we are not the ones with the addiction yet because we love and care - we put in sometimes far more work than the addicted loved ones. Not always - some of them actually go to meetings and take care of themselves as best as they can but not mine. He does nothing to help his addiction - I know more about it than he does.
I just found that a little ironic.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Tw of my favorites are

Feel the Fear and do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers
and
The Seven Life Laws by Phil Mgraw...

Yea, Yea, Yea, I know he has a bad wrap.
But I like him and I like his book, helped me. :atv

Susan Jeffers also has a great website...
Old 08-16-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
Woman who love too much - is a REALLY popular book on relationship addiction.
Just started reading this yesterday. Holy Moly, I see myself everywhere in that book. I wish I would have found it a long time ago.