Need a book review...

Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a book review...

I have picked up this book from the library, "Get Your Loved One Sober (Alternatives to Nagging, Pleading, and Threatening" by Meyers and Wolfe. It says it's a Hazelden book. It says it's based on "CRAFT" the new proven intervention program. Has anyone read this, and if so, what is your opinion?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

The only intervention book I have used and highly recommend is avail. from amazon for ten bucks:

Love First: A New Approach to Intervention for Alcoholism and Drug Addiction (A Hazelden Guidebook) by Jeff Jay and Debra Jay
Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Book Review

I wish I had thought to go to the library before I bought my own library of books to cure my spouse.

If you're at the point I was and need to get as much information as you can to deal with your nightmare, "The CRAFT Approach" was one I read. There was a segment on HBO's addiction series regarding it and when I got ahold of the book I just knew it would contain the secret to solving his problem.

At times. . . well, most times his binges began, there was a point when it was hard to tell who was the most out of their mind, him or me.

"The CRAFT Approach" will certainly give you some good ideas on how to handle yourself during stressful days. If you haven't already been told this, anything by Hazeldon Press is worth reading. Terence Gorsky anything is pretty good.

It took me too long, but I finally read "Co-dependent No More" (also from Hazledon). I don't really know how to explain how it helped me, but I haven't read a book for HIS benefit since I read that one, and I never read books twice, but may read that one every other month for the rest of my life.

If you're like me my philosophy was knowledge is power. Understanding what's going on calmed me at times, I thought. However, each book and pamplet and whatever I read (for him) prevented or posponed me from doing something for me. I could not have understood that statement until I read "Co-dependent No More".

Hope this helps!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The funny thing is I actually went in the library with the purpose to check out the "Co-dependent No More" book, and all the copies were out. I had to put one on reserve.