Sadness lingers

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Do you ever get over an alcoholic/pothead...or do they just keep popping into you mind at random points? I realize my alcoholic/pothead quickly replaced me with another and the bottle/pot. So why does he pop into my head at the least expected moment? I am learning to just divert the thoughts and go on-but I don't understand the whys of it.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Because we allow it

Part of the behavior of a bottle/pothead partner is the way they work it so that we believe we are the ones with problems. Even after we leave, something will happen and everything they programmed into us pops to the surface. That is why alot of us have trouble leaving A's. By the time we realize that something is wrong with the relationship, we are brainwashed into believing we are worthless and deserve all we get from them.

Part of recovery for codies, I have found, is reversing the brainwashing. Changing the bad person thinking, for the good person thinking that I know I am. Until I am able to completely get rid of all the toxic BS that was implanted many years ago by my exAH, I cannot have a healthy relationship, which my second marriage proved, and I refuse to repeat again. I don't plan on getting into another one until I am finally rid of all toxins. When we stop allowing them to enter our heads, that is when we know we are healthy, IMHO.

Hope this helped, seem to be rambling today, You are on the right path, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Barb
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Part of recovery for codies"

What, might I ask, are codies? I am guessing this stands for codependent presonalities types, but I would like to clarify. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Chic,
Yes, codies are codependent people. And around here, that's often what we are. In a nutshell , a codependent person is one who takes on other peoples problems and responsibilities as her own... someone whose moods and feelings are really intertwined with someone elses.

I also wanted to share a good book I bought : The IDIOTS guide to Healthy Relationships. I realized I really had no idea what a healthy relationship looked like. It's not demeaning in any way. (The Idiots guides are like the For Dummies books - just a style in which they are written that is easy for me to read and understand.)

The book has been great and I can honestly say I've learned a lot.