SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   What would a drug addict use a torch for? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/155312-what-would-drug-addict-use-torch.html)

Troubledone 08-09-2008 03:06 PM

What would a drug addict use a torch for?

I found a small hand-held size butane (or maybe propane) fuel cell with a torch end on it in my neice's bedroom.

she's in jail again for evading an officer and probation violation.

Could this item be drug paraphenalia? I can't think of what she would use this torch for. It would be way overkill to light a cigarette - it looks like it would be used for welding or something.

GratefulGirl 08-09-2008 03:17 PM

you can use a torch like that when smoking crack

marle 08-09-2008 03:18 PM

If she is smoking meth, she is using it as a lighter to heat up her pipe so she can inhale the fumes. Marle

Troubledone 08-09-2008 03:21 PM

Ugh - before she just used a lighter - is this some kind of upgrade to a lighter????

deezaldog 08-09-2008 03:24 PM

You may want to take this opportunity to thougholy search her room. Search where you would never think of hiding something. Addicts try to get clever when hideing their stuff. I hope I am wrong but I have read the posts and I agree. If you think it has no reason to be there then go with your gut feeling.

Taking5 08-09-2008 03:28 PM

They actually sell these at 7-11s, Circle Ks, etc. While you *could* use one of them to light a cigarette it is pretty well known what they are really used for.

scoob 08-09-2008 03:33 PM

I was going to say hot knives.

Done_With_It 08-09-2008 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by dgillz (Post 1864700)
They actually sell these at 7-11s, Circle Ks, etc. While you *could* use one of them to light a cigarette it is pretty well known what they are really used for.

Yup, very common item here in LA that is sold.
It is used to smoke her doc..

Troubledone 08-09-2008 08:01 PM

thanks to all for the information. This confirms my suspicion. I thought I was well educated about this stuff, this is a new one on me.

thanks

HopeandPrayer 08-09-2008 08:42 PM

Just a thought

My RAS used to hide his doc inside his table lamp, underneath his bed inside the lining of the box spring, or his all time favorite underneath my new sofa inside the line that he had cut.

If you are thinking of looking for more evidence of what she might be doing those are just a few of his creative ways to hide things from me. Hopefully, for your sake, maybe it is entirely innocent but IMHO where there's smoke there might be fire.

Hugs and prayers that things work out for you.
Barb

SlvrMag 08-09-2008 09:00 PM

Torches are also used to clean or blow glass pipes. Even "full size" torches that require a propane bottle the size you would need for a Coleman stove. The small ones like you found are butane.

Hangin' In 08-09-2008 09:02 PM

Looking for evidence is what made me crazier. Kept my focus all on what SHE was doing and concentrating on her and what she was doing never made ME feel better.

Maybe the only reason I'd look for anything else is to get it out of my house. Of course, along with that would have to come the boundary of not letting her back in your home.

Keep coming back, Troubleone. We all understand the anxiety and are walking this recovery road with you.

Hugs,
Hangin' In

NeedingHelp7 08-09-2008 09:18 PM

Hi troubledone,
I found stolen cell phones in my sons room. I turned them over to the police. You never know what you will find with an A.

NH7

Troubledone 08-10-2008 07:23 AM

My husband and I decided not to let her come back if she is released from jail. We are changing the locks (again). I told both her p.o. and her boyfriend that she is not welcome back here.

And - I think I agree with Hangin in... I told her boyfriend (she still hasn't called me from jail - I think she knows the score) that she can call us for a time to come pick up her things while we are here, but that she is not to come over without arranging this first.

And - incidentally, I had a dream last night that I threw her into a pool of water and she sunk about 3 feet below the surface. In the dream she wasn't even trying to swim (she is a good swimmer in real life). In thinking about this dream, I realize letting go is like throwing them in the pool - and she has to realize that "she's out of air" before she'll start fighting for her own life.

Until then, I can't keep resusitating her - it's dragging me down with her.

Thanks to all for all the support - I feel stronger and more resolved to live my life.

Live 08-10-2008 07:49 AM

DGillz,

I would just like to say that I use mine for lighting a gas range, the smoker outside that is fueled with propane, charcoal and bonfires,
AND cigarettes when in a high wind.

I know full well that they can be used as spoken of above, but the assumption that is what they are sold for seems a bit of a reach to me.

Live 08-10-2008 07:52 AM

What a fabulous and insightful dream!

ZombieWife 08-10-2008 09:19 AM

Troubled, very powerful dream. Jung believed water represented the unconscious. He also believed that addicts went too far into the "unconscious" and left the real world of ration in order to use. They embraced it too much. So, very interesting, very telling, very archetypal.

I never knew the whole propane thing until I read this. When I found my RAH's stash of meth, I remember also seeing this propane bottle/torch all the time. Now, I know what it was form. Learn something new every day.

Done_With_It 08-10-2008 10:18 AM

Great Dream!~~~