Hepatitis C scare...

Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

Hepatitis C scare...

Congratulations to my ex-AGF whose been sober from cocaine one year today...

Hmmm... however she called me today to tell me she's tested positive for Hepatitis C and that I should get tested as well.

It's funny when you think you've finally broken free from all of the drama, all of the pain working through your own recovery and making new strides every day... it amazes me how somehow "that life" always manages to rear its ugly little head.

I'm scared sh--less!!! It all sucks to me that my only crime was loving too much, trusting too much, and sacrificing too much for a person I couldn't cure, I couldn't help. Even today, though she may be clean and now due to her diagnosis, no longer drinking, she still has no grip on reality. Her problems, her drama never ceases.

What if I have it too? How can I forgive myself for being so stupid in the past for not leaving sooner? How can I forgive her? For she assured me that she was getting tested regularly for STDs and now this bundle of joy has shown up!

I'm so angry right now, I don't know what to do... I'm terrified.

Anywho, in all honesty, I hope every one else is fairing a little better then me. Up until this point, I've been doing fine. I know my forum family will help me get through this trial. Thanks again and God bless
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It is very rare that Hep C is transmitted sexually. Instead, you're more at risk if you're exposed to contaminated blood — through needles shared during drug use or through blood transfusions.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same thing happened to me, I got tested 3 months after he died, I found out when he was in a coma when he od'd..it was appalling, I couldn't believe it was happening to me...Im a nurse and have very good insurance but I didn't want to go to my doc as I didn't want to put it through my insurance and have the results follow me around the rest of my career. I went to the public health dept, they were so kind with me..the testing is done anonymously, they schedule you to come back in a few weeks...I was negative, it isn't that easy to get it through sex, more from blood. They didn't even charge me and they have a program if you do test positive that gives you free treatment...My thoughts are with you..Im sorry you are going through this...Marian
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let me grow up.

I read that it's rare to get it sexually. But you can get it through sharing a toothbrush or a razor or other personal item. She suggested I get tested for all types of Hepatitis as Hepatitis C can make an infected person more susceptible to other types. As I was a participant of a long-term same-sex relationship, I'll be getting tested for all three.

I've already tested for Clamydia, Syphillis, HIV, and Gonorrhea. I get those results tomorrow...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, some heavy stuff. Sending good mojo to you about all the tests. At least she called to inform you--even if it seems dramatic.

/hug
Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know you're scared, but be grateful that she did let you know.

My ex-husband called me out of the blue 13 years after I left him to ask me if I had ever been tested for HIV because he was in the clinical stages of AIDS.

Fortunately I had been a few years prior to that when I was pregnant with my youngest.

He felt he needed to let me know, and he had an idea of when he had gotten it, but couldn't confirm it till he talked to me.

He got it sharing needles with a female while I was in rehab.

Had I chosen to go back home instead of moving as far away from him as possible, I have no doubt I would have contracted it too.

Keeping you in my prayers.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

newblue,

Hope the tests all come back with good news.

My ex had unprotected sex with other men at bathhouses. He told me about it a year later. Needless to say, I know the kind of panic you're talking about.

(((newblue)))
Old 08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sending lots of postive thoughts your way. I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hugs
Old 08-10-2008, 03:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My EXAH was diagnosed in 98 with hep c.
I was tested twice and was negative.
Hoping the same for you.