OT/ Going To Ck Out A Gym

Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rozied

OT/ Going To Ck Out A Gym

Today I am going to make time to do something for me. I am pretty unhappy with the way I look & feel. I need to be stronger & work at it to get some tone back into my muscles. For quite a few yrs I was lucky I could walk ( I couldn't without walking bent in half at the waist) let alone excerise but its been 3 yrs and 1 month since my Spinal Revision & I feel I could do some things. I am very active but it doesn't help tone up your arms & abdomen.
Gravity does a job by the time your 60.
Sunday I did a Google Search for Strength Training in my area & there was 1 not a half mile away & it looks like a really nice one. I want to go there today & ck it out.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! I need to get myself moving and back in shape too. Am almost ready to that and make the commitment to stick to it... hope you like the place you found!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Rozied

I really appreciate you bringing this up. I need to be exercising. Since I started this recovery process I haven't been. Spending most of my free time reading. Exercise is a great way to take care of ourselves and clear our minds. I always feel so much better when I do. So why is it so difficult for me to get started? I too need to work on my core.
Good for you!!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Rozie)))

SO glad you are taking care of yourself! Exercise is a HUGE boost to those "feel-good" endorphins.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

I'm with you on this one girls. I have also spent way to much time worrying about my son and not taking care of myself properly. I move all day but the time excercizing is so important. Puts me in a good mental mood for the day. My hubby gets up and runs every morning. While he's doing that I guess I'll hit the treadmill....Bonnie
Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Rozied and everyone else moving from thinking about exercise to doing something about it. I agree with Amy...it is HUGE in making one feel good and less depressed...really gets those endorphins going.
Rozied, I have lower back problems too, although not to the point of surgery. I started an exercise program when I started recovery and make sure I don't miss more than a day at a time so I don't get out of the habit. (it feels great, but for some reason, once 2 or 3 days go by without exercise, it is much easier to stop and harder to start again.) I started small and now walk 3-4 miles daily, run and work out at the gym 3 or 4 times a week. With a gradual build up of endurance and strength training, my core muscles are now in good shape and it makes a major, major difference in my back. When muscles support the area, it is less prone to get messed up. I also love that I can wear tank tops and not feel like my arms are flapping I just had my drivers license renewal and my new pic looks younger than the old one, which is a nice feeling.

Enjoy and way to go with taking care of you!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you, Greet! I hope to be able to say the same thing by the time I renew my license!!!! One step at a time, literally!!!!! Let's keep each other posted everyone, the support (and pressure!!) helps!

: )
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
rozied

Oh Greet I am so jealous..............I always took excellent care of myself & always was in really good shape but being disabled for so many yrs sure took its toll on my poor body.
I did ck out the gym. For a Personal Trainer to wk with you it would cost $40 a session.
The regular price of the gym though is not bad at all. If you sign up for a Trial Membership for 1 mt it is $55 but if you sign a 3 month contract it is $50 a month. I have to think about it then decide. I don't want to waste money like I did with Weight Watchers. I pd $55 for a membership & think I went to 2 mtgs.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband and I bought an exercise bike and a glider and I do 30 minutes every day. It really helps to lower the stress level and it helped to strengthen the knee that I broke a while back. I also walk 2 miles with the dogs a day and since Megan has been home we have added an extra walk, so I figure that I have that part covered. Have fun at the gym. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rozied, sometimes the gyms have guest passes...It may be worth checking to see if you could get a pass or 2 to see how you like it.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanx Marle. Greet I will ask about guest passes........great idea. Thanx
Old 08-05-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes, most gyms have guest passes. The one I go to offers you 7 days in a row. Going to the gym is wonderful...I need to start going again. I used to wake up @ 5am and go everyday. My ABF is going to get a guest pass and we are going to start going together, which will be good for both of us.