Ahh moment: Putting the focus on myself

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ahh moment: Putting the focus on myself

I became a part of the al-non family in April, 2007. I attended a handful of f2f meetings, but came here and to other message boards quite regularly for ESH. Last month I started attending f2f nar-non meetings and I feel very much at home there. I've read about the steps, the slogans, and the principles of the program.

I started to apply what I could to my life, but have always felt like I was just going through the motions and not really 'getting it'. Trying to keep the focus on myself and not the addict in my life, well that was hard. I thought, 'How is that possible when you are faced with it everyday?' But, I kept coming back.

This morning I was reading about patience from a book I received at one of my meetings, Nar-anon Sharing Experience, Strenght, and Hope. And it hit me..... ahhhhh, I think I get it. There are things about myself that need improving, one being my patience with others. I know that my lack of patience is possibly caused by living with my AH, but that does not make it acceptable.

I really do need to put some focus back on myself, I have let myself slip and I have blamed others for it.

Gee, sounds like someone else I know. (Yeah, I know that was uncalled for.) Progress, not perfection, right?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most excellent post!!!!!

Absolutely it's progress not perfection!!!!! There is power in patience.

Right on about attending the naranon meetings..... there is only one here and it's a ways a way.... and only once a week. So I do the al-anon meetings and have been so fortunate to find a group that I feel comfortable with. I'm actually looking forward to when I can share to open the meeting.... tell my story.

Recovery has not only saved my guys life, but has and is saving mine. I was just as sick as he was if not more. The beauty of recovery for me is that should he falter... I still have mine! That gives me a lot of strength. It helps me look at myself more and less about him. Although, I am his biggest cheer leader and am so proud of him for what he has done in his recovery. We are both babies in recovery...... so it's all new.... but just that we have come as far as we have - I am so impressed and experience more serenity than I have in years.

Not taking it personally has been my new found tool. I'm embracing it on so many levels!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you are making excellent progress in your recovery. I think sometimes we have a harder time seeing the change in ourselves, but others around us see it. Sometimes now when I have gone through a challenge in life and look back at it, I realize I handled it in a much different way than I would have 3 years ago. That's when I see my growth the most. But what I love about the program is there is never a point when I am "done." At first that was daunting, but now I find it exciting. Because recovery is about self awareness and spiritual growth so each new day in recovery is a wonderful opportunity. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.