Oxycontin... your opinion please?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxycontin... your opinion please?

I'm looking for some opinions about the use of oxycontin as a prescription painkiller. My sister is currently in a residential treatment program for her drug addiction to oxycontin as well as multiple street drugs.

Earlier this morning she told me she is planning to leave the treatment program because she considers herself to have completed all she can in treatment. This means she has stopped using street drugs while living in treatment house (a total of just over a month now).

However, she is still taking oxycontin. The doctor she saw most recently, while in treatment, was horrified by the amount of oxycontin she has been taking and recommended stepping down over time to none, and said he would give her something else, non-narcotic, for her pain.

Shortly after that she switched treatment centres and now claims that the new doctor says she should continue taking oxycontin because she is in pain and may need back surgery. According to her this doctor says she can't come off the oxycontin because her pain won't be controlled properly by anything else.

I'd like to talk to her doctor myself - but I'm also trying not to control or interfere with her - for my own sanity. However, I'm really struggling with this one.

I have her daughter... and she wants her back yesterday. But the director in her last recovery centre said that she needed to get off the oxycontin or she would undoubtedly abuse it.

Am I crazy here for thinking that she needs to be off oxycontin? Or is it really possible she'll have to take this drug longterm, condoned by a doctor?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Sister,
I think you have every right to be concerned.
You have the child in your custody because of your sisters addiction. If the Dr. in the rehab felt she was taking an extreme amount of Oxys...then that probably is your answer.

I doubt that your sister will be honest if there's an out, and the pain management sounds like her out. There are many who need long term pain management, but if your talking from the inside of a drug rehab...well, there's a good chance the problem already exists.

My son "kicked" his heroin habit. He then was in a car accident, followed by knee surgery, and seems to need pain meds (of the narcotic type) far more and far longer than the average person. He wouldn't even CONSIDER something of a lesser strength. He often displays all of the behaviors that came with the heroin addiction, just has a better cover.

Regardless, the child's welfare is what is important. Maybe you could sit down and really ask yourself "has anything really changed?"

I wish you the best in this difficult situation.
((((Hugs)))
Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your thoughts, and especially for your hug... which I am very much needing right now!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my husband also took oxy for pain. He went to detox for oxy only. his dr refused to see him anymore because he told him despite the pain, he was taking way too much. It has always been prescribed to him. Since detox (month ago) he's relapsed, on an amount that he knew wouldn't do anything for his pain. he has a new dr now who knows about the addiction and he has given him non narcotic meds. my husband says he knows it probably was alot more withdrawals and cravings than pain for awhile now. don't get me wrong, he was in a really serious motorcycle accident. Broke his pelvis, ruptured his spleen, stopped breathing. But 2 years of narcotics clouded everything. he also dr shopped where he had several different drs and they were all giving him meds, till the insurance called them all. And we spent many nights in the er with him getting pain meds and them not being able to find anything wrong. your sister very well could need the meds, but my feeling is that if the one dr said no, then the dr who's giving them to her now doesn't know the whole story. Drs get pretty freaked out about that because they can be held liable for overdose, which is why my husband's dr dropped him. Just my experience.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Generally speaking, Oxy is prescribed for short term use after surgery and/or longer term for cancer patients. Anything in between seems to run a high risk for addiction.

I know it is common for addicts to exaggerate their pain and visit multiple MDs until they find one who will prescribe or increase their dosage. On the other hand, I do not know what it's like to live with chronic pain and need relief to function.

Like you, I would be very concerned. 30 days in rehab is a blip of time and she decided to leave and locate an MD who would respond.

You are in an especially tough spot, given there is a child involved and my heart goes out to you.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

No words of advice, but just dropping off
Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Something sounds very fishy here about a doctor in a treatment center giving her Oxy's.

I have chronic pain conditions and I'm a recovering addict, doc opiates. I seriously doubt that any of the doctors I have ever seen and have told that I was an addict would even consider giving me Oxy's.

Please don't think I'm calling your sis a liar, but I don't honestly think the whole truth is coming out somewhere.

And I do believe that 30days in a tx center is just the beginning. After only 30 days, one's mind is just beginning to clear and the fog is being lifted. This is when all of the feelings that your sis was using to control begin to surface with a vengence.

I would do everything in your legal relm to not let her have custody back of her daughter yet. It's too soon, in my opinion.

God Bless You for taking that responsibility on . . . you're a wonderful sister and by caring for her child while she gets help has got to be a huge relief for your sister.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with what everyone has said and also believe since there is a child involved, you have reason for concern. While you can not stop your sister's path, you can make necessary inquiries to be sure the child is protected.

Sending hugs...I know this isn't easy. Thank you for beign there for your niece when her mom is unable.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

((((Serenity Queen)))))
Is this a happy 3rd birthday for you? Congratualtions!!!! Thanks for all you share here!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everyone, thanks so much. My sister is really REALLY smart and sometimes she's so good with her words and explanations and lies (hey, you're not going to offend me by saying my sister is a liar; unfortunately, she is a liar) that I get to wondering if I'm the one who's not making any sense. She is extremely charming to anyone who has just met her and it is only by knowing her for any length of time that people begin to realise that she just takes people for what she can get out of them and then moves on to someone else when that person is all used up. I am always worried because she talks such a good game that people tend to believe her at first, and by the time they realise they've been screwed, she's on to someone else.

Thanks also for the support about looking out for my niece. I'm struggling a lot with that. Talking with my sister makes me so upset I feel nauseated whenever she calls. So for my own health, I don't want to deal with her at all... but at the same time I want to do what's right for my niece and she loves her mom a whole lot.

I love her too, dammit, or at least who I feel she has the potential to be. Unfortunately she has been addicted to something almost her entire life and so I hardly know her clean. Still, hope springs eternal.... (wonder why).