Language of Letting Go - July 25 - Keep At It

Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - July 25 - Keep At It

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Keep at It

Keep practicing your recovery behaviors, even when they feel awkward, even when they haven't quite taken yet, even if you don't get it yet.

Sometimes it takes years for a recovery concept to move from our mind into our heart and soul. We need to work at recovery behaviors with the diligence, effort, and repeated practice we applied to codependent behaviors. We need to force ourselves to do things even when they don't feel natural. We need to tell ourselves we care about ourselves and can take care of ourselves even when we don't believe what we're saying.

We need to do it, and do it, and do it - day after day, year after year.

It is unreasonable to expect this new way of life to sink in overnight. We may have to "act as if" for months, years, before recovery behaviors become ingrained and natural.

Even after years, we may find ourselves, in times of stress or duress, reverting to old ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving.

We may have layers of feelings we aren't ready to acknowledge until years into our recovery. That's okay! When it's time, we will.

Do not give up! It takes time to get self-love into the core of us. It takes repeated practice. Time and experience. Lessons, lessons, and more lessons.

Then, just when we think we've arrived, we find we have more to learn.

That's the joy of recovery. We get to keep learning and growing all of our life!

Keep on taking care of yourself, no matter what. Keep on plugging away at recovery behaviors, one day at a time. Keep on loving yourself, even when it doesn't feel natural. Act as if for as long as necessary, even if that time period feels longer than necessary.

One day, it will happen. You will wake up, and find that what you've been struggling with and working so hard at and forcing yourself to do, finally feels comfortable. It has hit our soul.

Then, you go on to learn something new and better.

Today, I will plug away at my recovery behaviors, even if they don't feel natural. I will force myself to go through the motions even if that feels awkward. I will work at loving myself until I really do.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Then, just when we think we've arrived, we find we have more to learn.

That's the joy of recovery. We get to keep learning and growing all of our life!
It is not a shortcoming of the program, but a gift, that we never seem to be finished growing in our recovery. Even after years of recovery, it is always an awesome feeling to me when another light goes on, another epiphany touches my soul.

Sometimes I need to refresh my program, maybe by reading a new book, maybe by starting a new way to connect, like walking or riding a bike through nature paths or by the shore...sometimes just taking a break from my routine and making a new one helps. It always comes back renewed and ready to lead me down more good paths.

Hugs
Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

Thank you Ann.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. Ties in nicely with yesterday's thought for me. Again, it's hard for me to take my time, take care of me and not get stuck. One step at a time.... new day every day.