OT - when the going gets rough

Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - when the going gets rough

Feeling a little bit stressed today.

Most of you know about the wreck I had in May, and found out my insurance had been cancelled because of nonpayment (the only payment of any kind I'd forgotten about in over a year ). Anyway, I got another car that I love, and things were going okay.

Just got a letter from the insurance company of the guy I hit...they want $1400. I knew this might come, and figured I would just make a payment arrangement, which the letter says they will (and charge interest).

My problem is, I still owe the $1600 in 4-year-old tickets in the town I used and they are locking people up for this. I'm 2 hours away, but still don't want this hanging over my head and want to get them paid. I HAD the money, until I wrecked and had to spend almost $500 to get my car out of the shop (still wrecked).

Work hasn't been busy enough to work extra shifts. I am making about $100/month LESS than that my bills are and gas for my car. These are basic bills...I don't spend money on hardly anything! I am paying for 2 credit card debts from years ago, have paid off a few creditors. I just don't see how I'm going to come up with any extra money for more payments.

On a good note, my dad had told me he would pay me for the trip where I wrecked my car, even though he had to come get me (I was making a delivery for him). He has been struggling with money, too, and I'd told him to just keep the money...it's just as important, to me, that HIS bills get paid since I live in HIS house!

He just came in and gave me the $240, and I hadn't even told him about the insurance company. With that and what I have saved, I may be able to pay most of the tickets off.

I'm looking for a better job, closer to home (driving 80 miles round trip is killing me with the gas), but it's not easy these days.

I'm NOT thinking about using...that's the last thing on my mind. I KNOW these are all consequences of my own doing, but sheez......I could use a break, ya know?!

I posted here, because you all have always helped me to see things I couldn't see for myself...even if it's just a reminder to have faith. I am very aware of the many blessings I have in life, and just reminding myself to put one foot in front of the other, and keep doing the right thing. The other thing that always helps me is to reach out to the people who support me....so here I am

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
I'm NOT thinking about using...that's the last thing on my mind.
Amy,

Just wanted you to know how beautiful those words are to me. As a wife and a mother of addicts/alcoholics - it breaks my heart when I see my loved ones struggle thru difficult times; it breaks my heart when I hear of your struggles. But as I was reading your post, and I read that sentence, I was overwhelmed with gratitude and tears of joy filled my eyes.

To have your reassurance that there is a place is in recovery that a recoverying A doesn't think about going back to the old behaviors makes my heart leap with joy, because it gives me hope that mine will truly someday find and embrace the solution that is available for them.

I pray that your HP will guide you to a way to ease your struggles, that He will pour out His Best Blessings on you for you and your life, according to His Perfect Plan.

Love & HUGS,
Rita
:ghug3
Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Impurrfect))
I sure know how you're feeling. I've been trying to take on a 2nd job (PT) in addition to my FT job - I am fully aware that my enabling of my AS has gotten into the financial situation I am in. I am willing and capable of working a second job and pray to God that he will put that there if that is what's meant to be.

Somehow, I've managed to pay enough on my bills to keep the phone on, electricity on, a roof over my head and food in my belly. But sometimes I begin to panic that it isn't going to stretch . . . I remember to turn that fear to faith.

Hope things get better for you!

Joan

If it can't be easier Lord . . . help me to be stronger.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Impurrfect - I feel the same as you. Right now I am working massive amounts of hours to make up for AH, my house needs tended too, kids need more attention, my yard is a mess, my kids are being shuffled around because I don't have and can't afford a constant babysitter so I can go to work, so I am relying on family. Things are very stressed for me right now. AH continues using on and off and is not much help at all right now.

But you know what?? We're doing it. You are trying to right the wrongs you've done, you're putting one foot in front of the other to get things done, keep up with bills. You're digging deep in these troubled times to find the strength to proceed. In the end when things settle as far as your debts, when you find a different job, when I make it to the other side - in the end WE DID IT!

Hang in there girl - you've made it this far, in reality this is just a bump in the road considering the long road you've already traveled.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy, sorry everything is piling up at once, but you will manage just fine. Have you thought of waitressing as a second job? You can make some serious cash.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

helpus- that's actually what I'm already doing! The problem is, when gas prices started going up, people stopped eating out as much. For the hours I actually work, it's good money, most nights. I work 3rd shift in a 24-hour restaurant. I've applied to numerous other restaurants, but they just arent' hiring. Talked to a girl who had 10 years experience, on her 3rd interview with a restaurant and she said she'd been looking for months for a job.

I'm not against getting a 2nd server (waitress) job, but I have to admit..it's hard work, and I'm not getting any younger
Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amy - I use to waitress while in College - have you thought about asking the restaurant that you work in for more hours hostessing, cooking or washing dishes? You're already established there, maybe they could give you more hours that way? Or have you thought about cleaning houses locally? Just something that popped into my head.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
krhea75

You have added such sage advice to those on this site. I was impressed when I saw the struggles you are having and you are still giving from your experiences and your time. I know this is a crazy thought, but how about going back to school? Or maybe some type of training so that you could get a better job. Yeah I know, the stress of that could send you over the edge. or it could give you a plan.
krhea
Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I don't blame you not wanting to get a 2nd waitressing job.
I was almost postal by the time I waited my last customer.
Your right it is a hard job. Doing two is a nightmare...

Have you thought about seeing if you can lower your payments
on something?
Or what about getting into something different?
I have heard from a lot of waiters here about the gas price
affecting their tips..

Have you also tried Craigs? Or th ought about adding osme
catering instead of a new 'waiting' tables job?

Or helping others do stuff is a great way to make money.
I'm not sure how big Craigs is where you live, but here
a lot of people make a living on it, and people are always
willing to pay people to do stuff for them..

I dunno, just a thought.

I'm NOT thinking about using...that's the last thing on my mind. I KNOW these are all consequences of my own doing, but sheez......I could use a break, ya know?!
It's great to get to this point, eh. I never really think about using when problems come about either, kind of seems odd I used to think about that
to solve problems.....
But it has taken almost 3 years for me to see some of the positive charma
of not using spill out into my life, kind of crazy eh...

Just remember it's all happening the way it is supposed to.
If you need more money now, there has to be a reason someone/thing is pushing you to go this route.....
Uncomfortable things/stess, etc. usually move us into a better place if we act on it.... eventually anway.. lol, 8

JMO..
:ghug
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're stressed, you have problems and you're facing them. You will find a solution because you've become the person you were meant to be. And I'm so happy for you! I will say prayers for a workable solution and your ongoing beautiful recovery
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

A credit counsellor may be able to help you, and there are many good ones who charge nothing. Make a list of all your debts and then also make a list of a workable budget showing every dime you make and what you must pay out for necessities such as rent and food and car costs.

If I read you right, your expenses exceed what you make. If you have included payments to creditors then they can be contacted and asked to waive interest while you make a payment arrangement you can afford. When I used to help clients with this, I would tell the creditors that my client was trying to avoid filing for bankruptcy (which would mean they get nothing) and that seemed to catch their attention. Creditors will often make a deal if they know you are trying. This may mean giving up your credit cards for now, but that's a pretty good idea anyway, and then just having one for emergencies later.

Check around and see if there are any credit counsellors who can help you. It's better to have someone like that involved and it makes your request appear (and rightly so) as if you are doing the best you can and getting help to meet your debt.

Filing bankruptcy is not an awful thing either, especially if your credit rating is already not so good. It would totally eliminate most debt and give you a chance to start over. It also give you a head start in rebuilding your credit, just by paying bills on time. A Trustee in Bankruptcy can help you without charge for the initial consultation, and then if they take on the bankruptcy they charge only a small amount and often let you spread the payments over one year.

It's awful to be over your head in debt or expenses and just tucking away pride and reaching out for help may be the answer you need to resolve this.

Good luck.

Hugs
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Amy!

I'm glad you are doing well and handling all the crap that has come your way. The economy is so bad all over, lots of folks loosing jobs or hours.

Just keep doing what you do, the next right thing. Things have a way of working out when you are doing that!

I think of you often and will say an extra prayer for you. Something good is coming your way!

Love ya friend,
susan
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Amy!!!

"when the going gets tough/rough...... the TOUGH gets going!" And I think you are an experienced and strong person..... and are using all the tools you have learned to help you get through this.

I was thinking about the debt for tickets..... have you gone to the courts to get them lowered? Or what about making monthly payments?

Sometimes debtors are good about lowering monthly payments for awhile that times are hard??

I like the idea of Craigs list too.... my brother and nephew have used it a lot... usually selling things. Or buying low and selling it later higher.....
(to be frank, I don't have the patience or the interest in doing it, but maybe you will?)

I actually don't feel right even giving you advice, because I think you'll know how to get through this... but I just wanted you to know I was thinking about ya!

It's wonderful that you are not looking at using as a quick fix..... that you are able to play that tape all the way through. That gives so many of us hope!

I like Done's response in regards to this being a motivating factor in the form of 'change' in regards to your finances.... it's interesting to me how we get forced into these changes without consciously asking for them!

Best of luck Amy... please keep us posted........ I'll be thinking of you
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Amy...lots of oggod thoughts here..I sure do hope you can find a job closer...can't imagine what you are paying in gas! All I can add is hugs and lots of prayers. I know you will get through this...you rock!!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Amy, you are a pillar of strength,
I agree with Ann that one of those credit councilers (SP) could help with the credit cards. also, the guy you hit can wait, write him a letter explaining the situation and that you will start paying him as soon as you can, don't send him any money until you are ready to make monthly payments. You are not legally bound to pay any interest unless you agree to it. And I know you'll come out on top anyway, You are so possitive that you can only recieve possitive back.

good luck
Old 07-23-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

((((AMY))))))
I am so sorry your feeling overwhelmed but I certainly understand why.
You seem to be such a strong person who gives so much on these boards to people. I am amazed you have time tp post here but happy you do.

It was nice your Dad helped you out a bit I think I could feel your gratitude for that. And I was very happy to read this isn't pushing you over the edge. Because stress or financial stress is so hard I think most of us are feeling it. Like you my bills now are more then what I make and it seems like years before I will see a frill.

Well, you have to be pretty exhausted working that shift with such a long drive on top of it. But what about things like Dog sitting or watching. That is a huge money maker here.My daughter started doing that when working in med field, seems the Docs and nurses go on vacation all the time and it would be under the table which helps.
I don't think the court house will give you a break with the tickets, I used to work there and the girls at the window had mercy for no one. But sometimes like stated above if you call the card places they can drop their rates just a matter of who you talk to.:wtf2 Not right but you know that is how it is.

Filing for bankruptcey is like 10 years with nothing for credit but they say that is getting difficult to do now also because of course times are getting hard and more and more people are filing. I was thinking about that with my AD because I know she is gonna be stressed out with all her bills now but not sure what she will do either.

Amy you have so many people here who love you and think so highly of you.And that doesn't pay the bills but it is a good feeling to have in your back pocket when your feeling stressed or down or anything.:ghug3
I know it is hard, I think the whole word is suffering now with the times so maybe the we will all get a break with gas or something going down. Call your credit card places, ask them it won't hurt. In the mean time keep your head up. Sometimes when we think we can't make it thru some thing always happens to get us thru and we sigh.......Prayers and (((HUGS))))
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You sound like such a strong person. I'm sorry that everything has piled on you at once. Your advice has helped me many times on this site. I look forward to your postings. Your strength, and courage is quite inspiring. Things have a way of working out. I dont know why they come all at once maybe it is a test. Sounds like you are a very hard worker, maybe returning to school is a good idea. There are many colleges that offer on-line course to work around your schedule. (((( hugs)))))
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks SO much everyone! Things are already looking up a bit.

As far as the outgoing bills, 2 of the accounts I pay are past due credit cards, and they are charging NO interest, and one of them even knocked off $1500 off the amount. I pay one $100/mo., the other $50/mo. and that's "doable". I have been paying extra on my car payment, and can go back to just the amount due if I have to. Once I get my vacation pay, I should have MOST of the money for the tickets and they will make payment arrangements for the rest. The insurance company, of the guy's truck I hit will also make payment arrangements.

Things may be improving at work. I was told last night that I now need to stay until day shift gets there (instead of getting off at 3-4 a.m.). I was furious at first...there were NO customers in the restaurant for 5-1/2 hours. I have heard a lot about my new GM, most of it bad. I felt like he was wanting me to do production work, but at my lower pay.

So, I started working at really cleaning the place (after I had a mini temper tantrum) and decided I really need to talk to him, anyway, to find out FACTS. Turns out he's pretty cool. From what I gather, he is going to give me a higher pay rate, and I will work 40 hours/week, which is more than I've been getting. He is flexible...I can come in early (when I would make more money) but may have to take a break so I can still stay until morning.

The thing is, I can tell he trusts me and depends on me. We think a lot alike in how things SHOULD be run, and aren't. Some people I work with are in for a rude awakening. I may end up with more hours than I know what to do with, because some may quit (or get fired). He is a clean freak, and wants us to even clean the legs of the booths...like get on the floor!! I told him to forget....I get down there, I'll still be stuck there when he comes in in the morning 'cause I'm too damn old to be playing on the floor...he just cracked up laughing.

I got to thinking yesterday...many of you know how gung-ho I was to move out. I'm glad God decided to make it more difficult. Dad and I get along SO much better...he's not had one single anger episode since I told him if he ever did it again, I was out. We're helping each other, and he's learning quite a bit from MY codie recovery..tells me how proud he is of me all the time. If I had gotten the apt., I would have lost it by now because of the finances. He's been trying to sell his "big" truck, and someone is coming to look at it today. If he sells it, he will loan me money to pay the insurance company back. He also told me not to worry about the rent for a couple of weeks.

I know I am truly blessed. I have the best friends a person can ask for, several of them here, and a family that loves me. I have my furbabies (who are trying, right now to eat my KFC chicken!) I'm going on 17 months clean, and that, in itself, is my biggest blessing.

I'm going to continue looking for another job, but my gut says to stick this out a while longer, and my gut hasn't let me down yet.

Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate you all!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
krhea75

your post added a smile to my day, amy. I hope my son will come to his recovery soon.
krhea
Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!! Thanks for the update Amy!!!!!