Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just found this site last night. My husband was in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago and broke his pelvis among other things. He seemed to get better then got arthritis and says he's in constant pain. So he began with Vicadin, percocet, and then oxycontin. His friends have noticed for awhile but I didn't want to admit it. Finally at the end of May we got a letter saying his dr would no longer see him because he didn't want to be liable for his od. All the while my husband is in CA with the Army and going to the hospital constantly for gall stones, and uncontrollable shaking. Gall stones were real but shaking was pre seizures.

Anyways, he went to detox the day after he came home, June 16. Found stuff in his bag and realized he had been shooting it. Since then this horrible nightmare hasn't ended! He's in an outpatient treatment, failed his ua last week, and is behaving like he's using. I don't think he is actively using but the mannerisms are still there. So now he has a week of sobriety and leaving again with the military. Before he had a prescription, so I don't think he can get them there, but before of course. This has been a constant roller coaster for me. He doesn't see the problem because he has pain. I'm obviously the one doing most of the work. I've been going to al anon three times now and just found a nar anon tonight. I definitely feel like I'm living in total chaos and can barely function. Any advice or words of encouragement/wisdom are appreciated!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you found SR - it has helped me so much to just read what others are going through and share. I've been on that roller coaster too....for a while now, and it has taken so much out of me.

Since you've been to alanon, maybe you've heard this: you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. When I first heard that, I "knew" it was true logically, but I didn't really accept it. Now I understand that I spent so many years fighting a battle that isn't really mine to fight. My husband had to be willing to "fight" to stay off the pills.

I'm sorry you are going through this and am sending hugs your way. Hope you keep going to alanon/naranon, stick around here and do some reading and sharing, and if possible do things for yourself, like reach out to loved ones you trust and/or do nice things for yourself. That's what's gotten me this far.

Take care.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Welcome aboard.
Sounds like you are on the right track by learning about yourself in alanon. Working the 12 steps through this program can transform you no matter what is going on w/ your husband. It takes time to determine whether to stay with an addict or not.

Great that you are taking the time to figure this out.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say hello you've came to the right place to find advice an support.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Hi and welcome to the place that will take a load off your shoulders.
I'm sorry you have to go through this, but you are among friends, we've all been there, and most still are. Knowledge is power. Take care of yourself and you may not lose your sanity. I am alittle surprised the army hasn't caught him. My son was thrown out because of a dirty ua. (my son is 6 months clean and sober this month) progam program program.

keep coming back and again welcome
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support! In reply to the last post, the Army hasn't caught him yet because he's always had a prescription until last month. he did fail a ua in Feb but it doesn't go against him since his dr gave them the prescription info. A few of his sgts know but are covering for now. But they randomly test and he will chosen every time since he had a failed one. Glad he will be held accountable! he left today so hopefully all goes well...
Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery.