Stuck in the nightmare

Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Way back when I was 18-20, it seemed like everyone I knew was into drugs and/or substantial binge drinking. Back then, we did not think of it in terms of addiction or alcoholism.

The uncertainty of their lifestyles , endless poor choices, chronic unemployment and perhaps most of all, drugs and drinking as the only form of entertainment and socializing, eventually got to me.
Your post brings up something I read the other day: don't marry the person you love, marry the person you respect.

I met my husband when I was 19 and within two weeks I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. We weren't even dating yet. My reality was the same as the one described but this guy was different. We both liked to party but it was always in moderation. We were both responsible and wanted, worked a good life. I respected him before I loved him, though it's only in hindsight that I know this.

I had asked my grandma how she knew my grandpa was the one, because they were together until death and they were happy, content. She said she looked at the kind of person he was first. He was responsible, hard working, respectful, conscientious, etc. She never described lovey dovey types of feelings because those are the things that grow between you in a relationship. She was all about look before you leap.

Love is such a precious gift. Why give it away to someone who doesn't even know how to respect and love themselves?