Best way to handle this?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best way to handle this?

Hubby and I are going out of town in a few days and will be gone for about a week. This is a long time to me, as I never get to go anywhere lol. This is also the first time since we got our house (my first one) that we are leaving it for more than 24 hours at a time.

Having said that, and not knowing how tempted my sister may or may not be to come out here and do a little "shopping" while I'm gone, what would you do? One of our neighbors, whom I'm friends with, is going to get our mail. And this person knows about my sister and her addiction. So, I'm almost tempted to tell her what my sister's car looks like, in case she happens to see her. But then again, what can I possibly do from several states away if she DOES do anything? Or does that make me sound super overly paranoid?

I guess my other option is to take all of my jewelry with me... but I really hate to do that, as I've always been funny about leaving anything of value in the car, hotel room, or anywhere else... I'm a bit sentimental, and most of my jewelry is stuff that my husband has bought me, so I would be that much more upset if something was to happen.

I know this sounds silly, but I wanted to see how others would play this one out. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you trust your neighbor, then she could have her hold your valuables for you. You go and have a nice vacation. You deserve it. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Before I actually had a security system, I had a ss sign in my front yard...purely fake but turned out to be a great deterrent! Have fun!
Susie
Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Lady

This is an easy one. Get a safety deposit box at your bank. Problem solved!

Once you have the deposit box your worries are over.....well, at least worries about jewerly. LOL

I would tell the neighbor what her car looked like just in case she decides to visit you.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anvilhead as always nailed it. Why on God's green earth would you even let her know you are going to be gone?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It would be very wise for you to remove valuable jewelry from your home and put them in a secure place while you are gone. The safety deposit box idea is a great one, as well as asking a trusted friend or clergy to hold it. Your "spider sense" is right-on... trust yourself and protect your valuables.

You might consider making sure any documents with credit card, bank numbers, etc. are also secured. Also, you might consider placing the hard drive of your computer somewhere else in case there is sensitive information on it that might be used to access your private information, etc.

You are not being paranoid, just going through life with your eyes open.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Anvilhead as always nailed it. Why on God's green earth would you even let her know you are going to be gone?
It was a temporary lapse in judgment. I was excited because we had just booked the hotel, and I was telling mom and dad about it, not realizing that ras, who I thought was asleep, could hear me. I know, I'll have to be more careful from now on.

I don't have to worry about the computer because all we have is a laptop that will be coming with us. Glad you guys mentioned the account numbers, though... I'll be sure to figure out a place to put those too.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lady,
I hope you have a wonderful trip. Lockbox sounds great while you are away and good neighbors watching your house for anyone is perfect. Have fun, enjoy and relax!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rozied

You go & enjoy yourself. Having a neighbor watch the house is a good idea. Isn't it horrid when you can't share good news with someone in your own family!!!
Prayers for your AS that she reaches her bottom soon.
Diane
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Lady,

I'll hold your jewelry for you...

Your friend,
Hangin' In
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lady, not much to add to the advice already given. I hope that you can
leave your worries behind and enjoy your trip! You deserve it!