Recovery question

Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery question

If someone is going to outpatient rehab, and is relapsing weekly while in rehab, are they considered recovering, or are they still considered active?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow... excellent question.

I would say that if they are using weekly, they are still considered active, but that's just my opinion. There are a lot of factors that play into this. Are they enthusiastic about the rehab? Are they doing any kind of reading at home, either from the big book or some other literature that the rehab would have referred them to?

I guess the only person who knows whether or not they are really trying is the addict. Sometimes I think the labels we give them are less important than the actions that earn them one label or another... but I'm no expert on that issue.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hey crush,
just want to add my 2 cents, imo, sound like active to me. you know i've been in quite a few rehabs in my day and i have used my going to out patient kind of a cover up. on the other hand, he may mean well but maybe not quite ready to commit to working a program. its good that he is still going, i think, some get it quicker than others. i was kind of a slow learner but the more i stuck with it, the more the light of recovery began to shine through. its all up to him.

hope the light comes on for him soon, but if not, before long, his actions will tell the story. i don't see how he can continue to be commited to working his program and still use weekly. the program works but the addict has to commit to working the program if they want to see a change. still praying for you
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I'd call it active use. Limited use never gets better. It's a one way street when you're an addict.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Strictly my opinion....
If you're using routinely once a week...twice a week....what kind of recovery can you possibly be in?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still am reluctant to say my RAH is in recovery...

My AH now has over 19 months clean and in active recovery...

Sounds to me as if your SO is just waiting longer to use... I would not call that recovery.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My two cents, for whatever it is worth:

I call it using - it is like being pregnant, you either are or you are not. Either you are clean, or you are not.

It is a one day at a time program.

And recovery for me in Alanon is working the steps, having a sponsor, working with others, not acting like a codie (or at least trying not to act like that) - just as recovery is for an addict. There is a whole lot more to recovery than just putting down the drugs.

I've heard a saying "not using, not recovering" - it is an awful place to be.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you quit smoking a pack of cigarettes a day but still smoked on the weekends would you consider yourself a non-smoker? The same holds true with drugs. Crack use does not have to be daily to be just as destructive to your mental and physical self. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

Surprises me that the rehab allows this. I know my kids got kicked out for far, far less. Using was generally taken as a sign of non-compliance.

Do wish him the best, and hope he finds some lessons in this.

Do you attend any meetings yourself? I found the more I concentrate on the shortcomings in MY recovery (and Lordy, they are many!) the less "mind time" I have to wonder about my addict's recovery progress.

I do wish you well.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is OUTPATIENT they could care less, they just want your money. Some outpatient programs don't even test you, all you have to do is show up a few hours a day.