Crack School

Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crack School

Someone please tell me something about crack that I wont' find on line such as what it smells like, how long are you high if you smoke it, how long are you high if you inject it? If you're on methadone, can you get high from it?

Thanks guys. If it's not one thing it's another. Just when I think I've mastered one addiction and all the signs, symptoms and behaviors, I have to go back to SR school.

:wtf2
Old 06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let It Begin With ME

Crack is one of my AH's drugs of choice. One thing I can tell you is YES you can get high from crack/cocaine when taking methadone, cuz AH is on methadone. So it really ticks me off to pay 80.00 a week on methadone clinic, and hes just using something other than opiates right along with the methadone!! UGGGHHH
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you and I are going to be great friends. I've been following you around all day it seems like!!! :ghug3
Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,
I know what crack smoke smells like because I lived with a crack smoker. It smells like burning electrical wires to me. Maybe like an electrical fire. I didn't know that I was smelling crack smoke. So if you smell it whomever is smoking it will probably tell you that you are crazy. I was tested for a hidden siezure disorder because a doctor asked me if I ever smelled things that nobody else could smell. I said yes all the time...and was tested for something medical. I later told my XABF this well after he left and he said...............sorry...........
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Holy cow!! That is terrible. I've been watching the vinegar bottle and keeping a nose open for that or lemon juice but I didn't know what burning crack smelled like. Hmmm. Thank you for your input. I appreciate the information!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Let It Begin With ME

Originally Posted by MrsMagoo View Post
I think you and I are going to be great friends. I've been following you around all day it seems like!!! :ghug3
And Ive been following you too...lol I could use a friend or two!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The high from crack is pretty short...anywhere from 10 minutes, to an hour at the most (my experience). As soon as you smoke it/shoot it, within a short amount of time, you are absolutely obsesssed with getting more. For me, I wouldn't stop until I ran out of money. If I could go about 2 hours without it, I would stop obsessing but it would stay in the back of my mind "when can I do it again".

Because of the short high, crack is pretty expensive. I easily spent $200/$300 a day on it. When I got my income tax, me, my now XABF and a friend went through $1500 in one night.

I'm glad loner told you what it smells like. I'm sure that sounds crazy...a crack addict doesn't know what it smells like? I do, just didn't know how to describe it.

For anyone living with a crack addict, I highly recommend making sure they have no access to money (ATM's, credit cards, checking/savings account). A crack addict will rent a car out for dope (good luck getting it back), sell anything they can for it (my XABF emptied out my house in 4 days while I was in jail), and the addiction usually progresses pretty fast.

I've seen a few of them maintain a house/job, but most eventually lose it all..and drag down those around them.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amy, I'm glad you responded. Thank you. I thought your DOC had been crack but I wasn't sure.

Yes, AH has pawned about everything he owns that is pawnable, including his golf shoes. He is starting in on my stuff so I carry my jewelery with me now and plan on leaving it at work. I also have my checkbook and checks with me. Fortunately, after the last break-up/relapse in Feb., we opened seperate accounts and have left it that way.

His new best friend has pretty much done what you said about "renting" the car in exchange for drugs. Some guy has had his BMW for weeks now and was supposed to bring it back to him two days ago. Apparently he wrecked it yesterday on his way to return it and the was impounded because the tags were out and there was no insurance either. I'm sure there's more to the story than that. This is really scary stuff.

He looks and acts normal and I was surprised to read how short lived the high is. Sounds like it would be cheaper to huff gas or paint or glue or something. It's equally deadly right?

Back in the day, I used to snort cocaine. I had tons of energy and got so much done, especially housework.

What kind of high does crack give you? Is it energy or nodding? AH's DOC is heroin so I'm not quite understanding why he's turned to cocaine except that he's taking methadone. He likes the downers not the uppers.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just for the record, crack is a speed-up drug, but basically just made me not think of anything, other than getting more.

Anvil's right, though. I never did heroin, but I know of a lot of people who do both. They "why" doesn't really matter...he's using to avoid life.

Crack will bring him down hard and fast. It will bring you down, too, if you allow it to.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-28-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsMagoo View Post
Awwww, that exchange made me smile! My AH has recently been shooting/smoking crack/cocaine and I know from following you two, that was your DOC too so....I am thrilled to see such a postive exchange of gratitude because there IS hope and there IS light and there IS recovery from this monster drug.

Thank you for the thread Can You Hear Me and Amy, thank you for your gratitude too!
Awww sweetie, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Your reply took my breath away, I wanted to cry the minute I read it. I hate how selfish addiction is, and how it hurts innocent people. I know it breaks your heart to watch some one you love be consumed by this and some times it feels like HOPE is the biggest lie of all. There is nothing wrong with wanting more, so keep looking around here, maybe you'll read something that turns your life around. It's not about him, it's about you. Know matter how hard you try, you can't fix this. He needs to be the one looking for hope, and you can't find it for him. I know you think if you can just make him really hear you then maybe a light will come on inside him somewhere. I'm sure sometimes you'll see a flicker of hope, but you have to understand that until he creates his own hope that light will be like it never happened.
He has to look around himself and realize he loves himself. I really don't think he's there yet, because he's still lying to you. He's still protecting his right to get high. Like Anvil said, it doesn't matter what drug he's doing, it doesn't matter if he's getting worse, all that matters is he's an addict. He won't put any thing above his desire to get high. I know it sounds like I'm saying he's a bad person. I'm not, I'm saying he's an addict. He can't feel your pain. Recovery can only be found inside himself,and he has to find it, nobody else can.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

mrs magoo - i completely understand your need for info/understanding of your ah's doc. my ah's doc is also crack - i think he may have tried heroin and other stuff at times, but usually just stuck to crack. i was obsessed for years with finding out as much as i could about drugs/addiction/his "other" life etc, but eventually i found that no matter how many answers i got, i would NEVER completely understand it to the point where it made any sense. you've got some great answers above to your questions, but my question to you is - did they help you?? or are your still left trying to understand it all?? the best advice i got on these boards, was to stop focusing on ah and his addiction, and focus on myself and my kids, it took me a very long time to realize that that is really what was best for me. i still struggle with "detachment" from ah every day, but boy what a relief it is for me, to not constantly worry about what hes doing/where he is and obsessing over trying to understand it all. take care of you first!!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i think it has to do with someones chemicals in thier body, when my ex boyfriend would smoke, he had this sweet smell about him, and he never had bo like many of us do, i could smellit on his skin,hair,etcc....i just alwaus thought his natural ody smell w as sweet smelling, to only find out he was on crack
Old 06-28-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i agree with what Anvil said... you already know he is using, there is no need to confirm it. if you have lived through this with him before, you know the signs. this is someone you love and care about and they are doing things and acting in ways they never would in their right mind? they are using. you say he looks and acts normal, but addicts have a way of fooling us that is absolutely believable.

what's more important than learning about the drug is learning ways to let go of him and his decision to continue using. sticking around and making it easier for the addiction to take its course will only make things harder... for you and your A. do you really WANT to have to hide your jewelry, your checks, your ATM cards? i know i didn't. contact a family member or a close friend and ask for help if you need to. there is no shame in trying to move forward, even if you do need a little help doing it. another thing is, don't feel bad about what you've already helped him get away with or what has happened between you two. you can not change the past but you CAN decide what you will do with your future.

good luck
-M
Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((Mrs Magoo))
I hope what everyone has said has helped you, I know it really helped me.

The stuff about renting the car out hit home with me. My AS has my car right now & said the fuel filter or fuel pump went out. I told him I have no $ right now to fix it but now I'm betting it isn't broken. ARGH! And now I got a stomach ache and am shaking...

Focus on us, Focus on us, Focus on us - I have to keep repeating it and reading it here from all of your wonderful folks helps each day.

We'll all get through this together Mrs Magoo
Joan
Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Joan))) - a word to the wise...if he has your car and you don't physically SEE it, and your name is on it, tell him you will report it stolen. If your car has been rented out and is caught in any illegal activities, it could be impounded.

And in the future...don't let him have any access to your car, or know where the keys are.

Not trying to scare you, but make sure you cover your a$$. "renting" out cars is very common.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-28-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My RAH did the car rental all the time. I use to think that it was something peculiar to him but apparently not. My brain always seeks to understand too and I always want to learn everything that I can. Not that anything that I have learned about crack has ever made any sense.

Video Junkie by Rick Kirkham (comes on HBO sometimes) is a great documentary that helped me to understand the whole thing better in a nutshell ... if you can understand something like that. He used to work for Inside Edition (thus the video) and was a crack addict. He filmed his saga - very interesting. He lost his job and his family but he has been sober now for about 7 years I think.

Sorry this is going on in your life.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((MsMagoo))

I call it the other woman syndrome. I needed to know everything about his other woman "crack". If I learned enough about it, maybe I could learn to accept his other relationship, after all, at least he wasn't sleeping with it. Maybe by knowing, I could figure out why I wasn't enough for him. What was it that she "crack" was giving him that I didn't. If I became an expert on the subject, then maybe just maybe, I could see the signs in advance and prevent it from happening again. The more I learned, the smaller I felt, until I stopped looking. I would wake up in the morning smelling that weird smell from the bathroom and would just start my whole day off hurt and angry, and I would loose that day of my life to his world of addiction and my world of why wasn't I enough.

In reality, I was enough. But I had to decide if I was willing to share him with "the other woman". Did I really want to know what her perfume smelled like. Did I really want to know when he had used her. Did she make him feel better than I did. Did she laugh with him when he and I only shared tension and hurt feelings.

So I ask you, do you really want to know? Will it change anything?

You are enough, and you deserve to be happy.

Hugs and Prayers
B
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MrsMagoo;1813352]
His new best friend has pretty much done what you said about "renting" the car in exchange for drugs. Some guy has had his BMW for weeks now and was supposed to bring it back to him two days ago. Apparently he wrecked it yesterday on his way to return it and the was impounded because the tags were out and there was no insurance either. I'm sure there's more to the story than that. This is really scary stuff. "

My NAW used to rent out our car(s). We've been through 4 of them since her addiction to crack. My truck was involved in a fatality, and that caused a big problem with me since the truck was in my name. We got it sorted out in the end, took alot of lawyer time. I always knew whent he car was "rented" becase it came back with all of my stereo presets changed, seats pulled back, small bits of burnt brillo embedded in the carpet, and this last time, all four of my tires were replaced with used bald ones. This last time my NAW made a copy of the key, broke the ignition, so now you don't even need a key to start the car anymore... (yeah!!!!) About a month ago I was driving to lunch in Galveston (I work in Galveston and that was also her place to binge) with a friend (who was an off duty narcotics officer) in the car with me, a man came up the the car at a stop light and told me to get out of his car, and that my "b**ch" of a wife owed him for the last deal, needless to say it was an interesting lunch.

Get the car keys, sleep with them if you have to, keep any jewlery, guns, family heirlooms, that can be pawned in a safe or a deposit box, don't even leave change around. My NAW cleaned out our daughter's piggy banks one time. Leave if you have to.... As for the smell of crack, I always thought it smelled like burning rubber, or burning plastic.

Keep looking to your HP for help, you will get through this... God Bless ya...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistercm View Post
Get the car keys, sleep with them if you have to
A word to the (not so) wise: a couple times I slept with the car keys & my wallet in my pillowcase. One morning I woke up with a hole cut into the corner of the pillowcase just big enough to slip the keys and wallet through! I was 8 months pregnant at the time, so sleeping pretty soundly when I could sleep.

I kept that pillowcase for a long time to remind me of how desperate my husband can be when he's actively using. The moral of the story? I'm not sure yet. More will be revealed. Good luck Mrs. Magoo.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My 21 AS crack smoker has mastered every manipulative tactic. Before we asked him to leave my life was under the wheel well of my jeep jewelry etc. I slept with the keys, even took the keys with me to have a shower. Some day his moods were off the wall, he would fly off the handle at nothing. He sold his dads leather coat, and told my spouse he must have missed placed it. We moved to a new home in January we had a brand new refrigerator in storage in one of our out buildings sitting on a skid, on moving day we asked the movers to load it, it was gone. Unbelievable! They will steal anything at any cost to get high. The final straw was I went to get up for work and no vehicle in the driveway turns out he had a spare took my car out in the middle of the nite. he was speeding over 50k and the police impounded my vehicle for one week. ( that wasn't his fault either) I would never let him live in my home again way to much chaos.