What is a halfway house?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What is a halfway house?

I know I have heard of them but thought they were for run aways who had no place to go.
I know I have enabled my ad even making my own life uncomfortable thinking each time would get better and not steal from me. I think this last time hurt me so much I will never be the same inside again.
Even though she is going to go to rehab for a month I am worried after reading everything here.
Yesterday she left while I was asleep and when I woke up and found the note I went off inside.I jumped on her when she came home and she of course said aren't I allowed to go anyplace now? I felt guilty then but tried to justify it in my own mind. I mean I don't trust her, I am struggling financially because of her fun time. I wasn't expecting to be alone for a month after my hospital stay. I am worried because I am not allowed to drive yet and my walking isn't good cause my other hip has to be done.
When people go into rehab is it automatic that after they would go to a halfway house. Or come home and try?I read I believe a post where M's daughter was going into a HW House after rehab. So I am curious.
I feel like everything is falling apart or maybe it's just me.
I am sitting here and its the middle of the night, tomorrow at 9:30 am my PT will be here to walk me and exercise my legs and I will be exhausted. She is sleeping even snoring away. (lucky)

I try to ask my ad but she is getting a bit snotty with me or short so I don't want the house to fall apart before she leaves in the next few days.
Somedays I feel so strong and others I just am like a wet noodle. I think I am whinying.need to call :codiepolice
Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a 19 year old AD who is been in a halfway house. It was a place where she was given a bed, and food and it was actually not a horrible place but she was there with all other addicts who were "trying" to stay clean. Unfortunately my AD was kicked out as she used while there and after that she would have to pay $150 a week to stay where before she used she could stay for free. Now she is on the street only God knows where.

We all have good days and bad, don't beat yourself up darlin, its the life of a CoDep. Get to a meeting, its what helps me but I still shed tears. You are not alone. Drugs/Alcohol sucks. It has come into our child's lives like a thief in the night.

Meetings and belief in that: I didn't cause this, I can't control this and I can't cure this is all there is to keep sanity and its very true.

Stay strong. I also remember, while we the Moms/Dads of addicts suffer, our addicts are out partying and having a great time. I don't want to do that anymore so I go to meetings. Its helping.:praying
Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Seagrl17, at least I have a better idea what that is about now. Something you always hear about but don't know unless your there I guess.
I am waiting for my other daughter to take me to a meeting as I can't drive yet, I know they will help.
I pray things get better for you and family.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

a 1/2 way house is where the addict goes to learn out to live on the out side with out using. it takes a lot of work on the addicts part to stay clean where ever they live. this just gives them more time to learn how. work your program & keep the focus on you. it is as hard for us codies to do the things we are suppose to do as it is the addict to stay clean. take care of yourself & take it one day at a time. prayers for you & your daughter. we r here for you.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I was in a Home for Alcoholic and Addicted Women for my first 90 days. We were required to get a job, (any job, even if it was flipping hamburgers) and pay room and board out of our paychecks. We shared in chores and chores roatated weekly. There were 4 meetings a week held at the house, were folks in the fellowships came into the meetings and we were also required to attend 5 outside meetings a week.

We also had 'house meetings' which helped us to learn how to 'communicate' and air grievances without anger and resentment.

It was the first step in learning how to live sober and clean.

I think they are a GREAT way for anyone trying to get sober and clean to start their recovery.

J M H O

That was 27 years ago, and I have been continously sober and clean since then. The home I went through is still up and running, it has helped many many women over the years. I still get emails of current events and fund raisers. I also have several friends I still am in touch with that were there when I was and are also still sober and clean.

I really don't believe that your daughter will be of much help to you in your physical recovery, since she herself is so early into her recovery from addiction. That to is, of course, J M H O, but I remember how 'scattered' and 'confused' I was in those early days, and how my mind felt like 'mush.'

Just remember, she has to WANT RECOVERY, and a Sober Living facility is only as good as the person works their recovery program. They can be a 'Safe Haven' and 'Security' or they can feel like 'Jail', depending on the attitude of the person in recovery.

Please, please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing, we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The 1/2 way houses here are like a transition from rehab or treatment to living as they call it "on the outs"...they have strict rules, such as curfews...and they work a 12 step program. Usually the treatment center recommends on discharge that a person go into a 1/2 way house. I do know however here, they don't have any for kids under 18...
Old 06-16-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope Thank you for your input. I am seeing that this probably a good thing but yes, it would be hard to do the right thing here. But I have to learn to do it because it is important to me also.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

My youngest son was placed in a 1/2 house after he completed his 4 weeks in a free rehab. There was 7 other men living there, and my son was instructed to find a job, and pay expenses. If he could have lasted there, he would have been eligible for a 3/4 house, so I suppose it's a slow transition to reality for them.

Unfortunately, my son left the 1/2 house.

But...for today...he's sober.

Hugs,
Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Laurie that is a real warm story to read about you. I am already thinking if this comes up I wonder if my ad will think it is a good idea because she has been comming here when she has lost everything knowing I would let her in. However, I have threatened her this last time to get help or get out and she was begging for me to let her in and I didn't. Well not till that night when she called and agreed to go for the out therapy.She was getting help but obviously it wasn't enough. Now this time it will be her first rehab.She seems to want the help but you know...she is such a con artist that I just don't know what to think anymore.
No, she isn't being much help to me, it is just the physical things I needed her to do that I am worried about. But I am sure I won't starve or dirty the house that much lol.
Mush, you know what...that is a good word of how my mind is.
I just want to thank you all again for this place, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to come here and have people understand. ((HUGS)) TO ALL

Last edited by beegee; 06-16-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling