What can I expect at a NA meeting?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What can I expect at a NA meeting?

I've located a few and would like to go to one. I'm really nervous though and just not sure what to expect. Does everyone go around and tell their stories or what is expected of me as a newbie. Do I call ahead of time or just show up or how do I handle that? Thanks so much for your time.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Just show up and listen if you'd like. That's what I did for my first meeting. You don't have to say anything at a meeting if you don't want to. I would suggest to get a phone list/meeting schedule while there--maybe ask the chairperson before/after the meeting. My group welcomed me with open arms, very supportive--I also chose to get a white keytag at my first meeting--I was totally beaten by drugs--was willing to try just about anything to get clean/sober. Well--that was about 4 months ago>I haven't had a drink/drug since. Just go,observe, absorb what all is being said--soak it up like a sponge--share if you like, but no>you are never required to share/speak in a meeting unless you choose to.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Am I looking at the wrong thing? I am not the addict, my husband is. Is that a different group? Sorry to be dense here -
Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually go to Celebrate Recovery which is a christain based recovery program like NA or AA. I go to the group for loved ones of Chemically dependant. You dont have to say anything at all. Alot of people come into our group and cry the whole time. I still cry the whole time sometimes and I have been going every Friday night for almost a year now. We have one woman that has been coming to our group for about 3 months and has never said a word.

I have found that I have made some of the best friends in my group. Very supportive loving people.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Well--that is what he can expect then...sorry. I just saw you posted about an NA meeting. Are you talking about Naranon---friends/family of addicted ones?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Callie, Are you talking NA or Naranon? NA is for the recovering addict, although open meetings are open to all andcan be a great source of information and hope. Naranon is for the families of addicts. I attended the first one or two NA meetings with my daughter when she was first in recovery as a show of support and to help her not feel so fearful of going into the unknown alone. But after that, it was her recovery and up to her to go or not go. I believed it would make it difficult for her to share honestly with me in the room (and I suspect I would have felt the same about her goign to my Naranon meetings)
At NA, there are different formats for different meetings and people share or don't share as they like. As a non-addict, you would just be listening since this is a program for the recovering addict.
If you go to a Naranon meeting, you can choose to share or not...totally up to you. I found it helpful to sit back and listen for a few meetings so I could gain more understanding. I did find that I was welcomed with open arms and that memebers of my group stayed after meetings to chat and spoke with me one on one whenever I wanted. I also use the phone list to talk between meetings if I need to.

The most important thing...Keep coming back
Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry...lots of post clarifying that in between when I read your first post and posted a response

Also...if there aren't any Naranon meetings in your area; try Alanon. That is technically for friends and family of alcoholics, but there are more Alanon meetings and lots of folks go there when they can't find Naranon. Since the focus is on ourselves and not the addict and the program is the same, it really doesn't matter if it is Alanon or Naranon.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I guess it's Naranon that I'm asking about - for myself as a non addict. Thanks so much for the input.