he doesn't know what to do with himself

Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

he doesn't know what to do with himself

My RAS is still doing very well, but I see him getting either depressed or restless because all of his friends go out to clubs on the weekends, none of them do drugs but they do drink (they are all of age) Joey has gone out with them and not drank but I think he sees it now as a pain in the butt or maybe even temptation so he doesn't go. Now he is doing nothing but talking to people in chat rooms and stuff on the computer. So Mr. Rahsue is getting worried he will relapse from boredom. I must say I don't like seeing him bored either. at 23 its hard to find new friends let alone ones that don't go to the clubs and bars.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does he go to meetings? My sons got clean and sober at 14 and 15 - had to leave all their old friends, etc. Meetings were their salvation. And the men took them under their wings, they were the youngest in our area of the state. The 14 year old celebrated 25 years sober last month and will be 40 years old this weekend. It is possible.

And their mother - me - celebrated 25 years in Alanon!

These days there are lots of young people in AA/NA - and there are Young People's meetings. And they are very active in all types of fun stuff outside of meetings.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

oh yes he goes to meetings at least 3 times a week and plays hockey 2 nights but the weekends he looks so bored. He works 10 hour days 4 days a week so forget going out too much during the week he's too tired lol it's the darn weekends.
and congrats on all the time clean and healthy!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Sue, I will keep him in my prayers , that he will be inspired to get over this little hump, he sure does deserve it by the sound of things..my Ad suffers in the same way, has for some time....tell him for me to keep hanging in there and big hugs...grateful
Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rahsue,

My son is in a similar situation. He sobered up months ago and also stopped pills and pot 2 months ago on the suboxone program. He goes to counseling and groups 3 times a week, still hasn't found a job, and is home 24/7 rather than hang out with all the old friends. He has been playing X-Box online steadily and watching a lot of TV and driving around with job applications, resumes, and to employment agencies, and sleeps a lot. He'll do anything I ask around the house and is grateful for my letting him live there. But absolutely no friends. All his friends, it seems like, are pretty party-hearty, and he knows better than to go that route. He says he's doing better every day, but I also feel bad for him that he spends so much solitary time, not talking with other young people, and watching all his cousins and sibling have "fun" in their lives. Granted, this kid had WAAAY too much fun for way too long, but I still wish he had someone with whom he could just hang out besides people online

Let me know if your son finds anything sober and cool to do! Mine is talking about going back to the local college in the fall and has registered. Maybe he'll hook up with some sober people there.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Icypaa

International Conference of Young People in AA - great organization - pronounced icky paa.

There is one in PA - PICYPAA.

Look online - http://www.pennscypaa.com

Also, there are regular young people's AA meetings in your area - probably NA also.

One of the characteristics of the disease of addicition is isolation - that's why meetings are so important - to be with others like himself.

Good luck.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

thanks for the link, I'll show him. Mr Rahsue is going to see if he wants to go golfing or fishing saturday (he likes both) so that'll give him one day on the boards.

thanks all