Language of Letting Go - June 5 - Combating Shame

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - June 5 - Combating Shame

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Combating Shame

Shame can hold us back, hold us down, and keep us staring at our feet.
-- Beyond Codependency

Watch out for shame.

Many systems and people reek of shame. They are controlled by shame and may want us to play their game with them. They may be hoping to hook us and control us through shame.

We don't have to fall into their shame. Instead, we'll take the good feelings - self-acceptance, love, and nurturing.

Compulsive behaviors, sexually addictive behaviors, overeating, chemical abuse, and addictive gambling are shame-based behaviors. If we participate in them, we will feel ashamed. It's inevitable. We need to watch out for addictive and other compulsive behaviors because those will immerse us in shame.

Our past, and the brainwashing we may have had that imposed "original shame" upon us, may try to put shame on us. This can happen when we're all alone, walking through the grocery store or just quietly going about living our life. Don't think . . . Don't feel . . . Don't grow or change . . .Don't be alive . . . Don't live life . . . Be ashamed!

Be done with shame. Attack shame. Go to war with it. Learn to recognize it and avoid it like the plague.

Today, I will deliberately refuse to get caught up in the shame floating around in the world. If I cannot resist it, I will feel it, accept it, and then be done with it as quickly as possible. God, help me know that it's okay to love myself and help me to refuse to submit to shame. If I get off course, help me learn to change shame into guilt, correct the behavior, and move forward with my life in immediate self-love.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Shame and blame are two emotions that serve me no purpose, like anger and resentments. They will eat away at my soul, if I let them.

It took time to learn to forgive myself, and forgive others, changing the shame to compassion for a sick mind.

Today I live as the best person I know how to be. I cannot change yesterday but I can make amends to myself by living well today and by continuing to learn along the way. When I know better, I do better, and can leave yesterday's lesson without regret.

Hugs