Keeping the babies heads above water.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I do believe that you are entitled to a 12 week medical leave if you have custody of the children. Check with your employer. My daughter just recently entered rehab for heroin addiction. It is the first time that I have had hope in the last 2 and 1/2 years. Hugs to you fellow Michigander. Marle
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

My grandsons now have a lawyer, so do my son and his girlfriend. They both will be in intensive outpatient treatments one my son is out of detox. They are not allowed to see their children until they are clean, the judge issued a zero tolerance rule. They will be allowed one hour per week supervised visits once they are clean and that will increase to four hours of supervised visits weekly as requirements are met, they have one year to meet all requirements and regain possession of their children. If they do not meet all requirements within one year the children will be placed for permanent adoption. Does this sound "normal"? We have 362 days left......
Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Wenchris i am sorry to hear of your situation but have a lot of respect for you to do this. My grandparents have my 2 cousins, a boy who is now 3 and a girl who is 6 and has had them for almost 2 years. she is almost 60 and my grandfather is over 60 now (not sure exactly). It has been hard for them and they are always tired but they love the kids so much and have given them so much of a better life then they had. Their mother is an alcoholic and i think she also is taking god knows what drugs, pot i know for sure. Their father (my uncle) is also an alcoholic. He takes them on the weekends when he isnt working overtime and does an ok job of looking after them (he isnt violent or drunk when they are around) but he would not be a good full time dad. They are so much better off with my grandparents and although it is very hard for them i can tell that they are happy the kids are with them as they know its better for the kids. I know this isnt exactly your situation with a 3 week old baby born addicted it must be very hard. Dont be too hard on yourself you are doing a great thing for these kids. Best of luck in this hard time and much admiration to you. (((!!hugs!!)))
Old 06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

P.S
It looks as though the kids will be with my grandparents until they grow up as the mother has no intentions of taking care of them again. they will be close to 70 when the little one is 10... !
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Yes, all of what you wrote is how it went with my granddaughter.
The visiting, the public defenders, the time limit.

The only thing is they extended the GF's time by 3 months. She did
test dirty a few times in the beginning. The
judge was lenient because she voluntarily put herself in rehab.

I don't understand why you are getting so little for the boys
though. Foster care gave me 425.00 a month and free medical.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

I think we will know more of what will be happening as time passes. I have to take this one day at a time and I have to hope Grandpa will be okay, this is much much harder on him.