Language of Letting Go - June 2 - Owning Our Power

Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - June 2 - Owning Our Power

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Owning Our Power

We don't have to give others so much power and ourselves so little. We don't have to give others so much credit and ourselves so little. In recovery from codependency, we learn there's a big difference between humility and discounting ourselves.

When others act irresponsibly and attempt to blame their problems on us, we no longer feel guilty. We let them face their own consequences.

When others talk nonsense, we don't question our own thinking.

When others try to manipulate or exploit us, we know it's okay to feel anger and distrust and to say no to the plan.

When others tell us that we want something that we really don't want, or someone tells us that we don't want something that we really do want, we trust ourselves. When others tell us things we don't believe, we know it's okay to trust our instincts.

We can even change our mind later.

We don't have to give up our personal power to anyone: strangers, friends, spouses, children, authority figures, or those over whom we're in authority. People may have things to teach us. They may have more information than we have, and may appear more confident or forceful than we feel. But we are equals. Our magic is not in them. Our magic, our light, is in us. And it is as bright a light as theirs.

We are not second-class citizens. By owning our power, we don't have to become aggressive or controlling. We don't have to discount others. But we don't discount ourselves either.

Today, I will own my power with people. I will let myself know what I know, feel what I feel, believe what I believe, and see what I see. I will be open to changing and learning from others and experience, but I will trust and validate myself too. I will stand in my own truth.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Our magic is not in them. Our magic, our light, is in us. And it is as bright a light as theirs.
What a relief it was to stop living as a reflection of those I loved, to stop trying to be the person THEY wanted me to be and to learn my own truth.

Today I have gotten to know that stranger called "me" and I have learned that my truth is right for me, even if it isn't right for anyone else.

Today I can stand in my truth, even when I stand alone, because I know in my heart that I live my life the best way I know how and today that is enough.

Hugs