All I Can Do

Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rozied

All I Can Do

I know there is absolutely nothing I can do to make my son stop using. The reason I am seeking this Intervention for him is unless I do I feel I have not exhausted every resource. Unless I try & have this Intervention I will feel like I have not tried everything within my power to help him. Maybe its to help myself with letting go. I want to be abel to sleep at night knowing I have tried everything possible to get him some help.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((rozied)))

I understand.

Will you be able to let go afterwards, no matter the outcome?
If the answer is an honest "yes," then go ahead, and follow through with the letting go -- no matter *what* the outcome -- for years to come. It's rarely a straight path in recovery.

But, if you are hesitant about that answer,
Then what is the real issue?

Have you read Codependent No More?
Have you read, What Addicts Do, in the stickies above?
Do you go to meetings? Have you a sponsor?
Most importantly, do you know, and practice, the Serenity Prayer?

G*D, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Shalom!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanx Teach, Yes, I will be abel to totally let go once I have exhausted every option.
I know after 20 yrs of this there is nothing anyone can do to get him to stop using or to direct how he chooses to live his life.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Rozied)))

I understand too, I think I had to try everything I knew first, and I was glad that I had the support of everyone here and in my meetings no matter how many times I tried.

My prayers go out each day for your son, and for you too. I really hope this intervention goes well.

Hugs
Old 06-01-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Diane, I really hope your son takes this opportunity. But remember it is only a chance. He still has to want recovery. One thing that I have noticed on the programs is that the families are encouraged to have a bottom line. If the addict will not go to rehab the family tells the addict that things will change in the following ways... meaning that the enabling will stop and they will remove the addict from their lives. Either way I do understand that wanting to do everything you can so that you don't live with regrets. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-01-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rozied

Dearest Ann & Marle, Ann I too keep you & your son in my prayers everyday. Marle you know I pray for you & Megan too.................I am just keeping my eyes on my HP & praying that the Intervention even takes place. There is so much to do before you know if you even will have the Intervention. If it is my HP's Will that we have it, all I can do is pray my son takes the opportunity.
You know I think many addicts really want to stop but they feel overwhelmed & don't know how to get their lives back on track. When offered an Intervention many of them take the chance & turn their lives around. My friends daughter was a HS gym teacher & was addicted to heroin. She had an Intervention & her daughter took the opportunity. They sent her to California ( from PA ) & that was 2 yrs ago. She has been clean & sober ever since. She still lives out there and works for the Rehab.
Thank you for all the prayers, you guys at SR are a real blessing,
Diane
Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

prayers that this will help your son & if not him you. keep in touch.hugs from one mom to another.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Rozied,
Prayers that the intervention works, and your son chooses recovery.
I agree with Marle, to have boundaries in place, just in case.

I'm praying for you, and your son...
Hugs,
Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BBD

Rozied, I sincerely hope this intervention works. Keep us in the loop about the outcome. Thats about the only thing I have left to do with our son if he goes back to cocaine. So far we haven't had any signs in the last 3 weeks. But then again we don't see Chris as much as we used to. I wonder why??? It's just so scarry. Hugs, Bonnie
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I understand first hand the issue of exhausting every option, I wish all the best for you, and your son.
As a loving parent we all must try our best until we realize it's out of our hands and when that time comes it is ourselves that we must take care of.

hugs and prayers
Old 06-02-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanx Hope & Diane.
Bonnie I will pray your son stays clean & yes it is scary, Of course each & everyone of us Moms would have preferred our children never had even tried any type of drug.
Rashue, Thanks for your post.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just another mom here, who understands. Stick to your boundries. My RAD shared at her 1 yr clean home group. One of the things she said was how I never gave up on her. How she saw a change when I truley let go & let God. She knew she couldn't play me anymore. She also laughed her butt off about how her first time in detox, she told me there was a drug house accross the street. How she said kids would just leave & go get drugs. My codi mom thoughts were "oh my this is no place for my baby" She just wanted out of there. It was a long road for both of us to where we both are today. I will keep you and your son in my prayers.