Can things get any worse ?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can things get any worse ?

My sister came for a visit and both her children were here , which was nice for a moment . My nephew wasn't in jail like he usually is . My sister was grateful for that but he was just freshly out of the hospital after being beaten up really BAD . My niece is awaiting her appt. for an abortion . She is an out-patient program for now until she can get into a rehab , she has been a real joy to have around !!!

I don't know how much more my sister can take ! her plate is overflowing !!

How does someone end up with both children addicted to crack ! ??
Old 05-27-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh My God! I don't know how that much misery (and worse) befalls some families.
But it sounds like you are a strong person with a good sense of humor and THAT must be a bright spot & source of inspiration for your sister...hang on to YOUR sanity!
prayers for your family--
:praying
Peace,
B.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm batting two out of two sons that are addicts. If you shake my family tree, the addicts and alcoholics fall out. Just the way it is.

There is a genetic component to this disease - and my family has it.

The good news is that there is recovery from this disease, unlike some forms of cancer and other terminal illnesses. And the treatment - meetings and a recovery program - is certainly a lot better than chemo and radiation.

The other part I need to realize is that I got as sick from the disease as they did - from living with them. (and my alcoholic father and other alcoholic relatives also). So I need "treatment" too. Otherwise, I am the chief enabler and fixer - and basically made it possible for them to keep using. Even now that all of the alcoholics/addicts in my life are sober - or living faaaaar away -I still need Alanon to keep me from going back to my old ways.

Has been a pretty nifty way for all of us to live.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I firmly believe that it is a genetic disposition also. My AH's father is a RA, his older brother use to be addicted to crack and has since switched to pain pills, his other brother is an alcoholic and my husband has his crack addiction. It always makes me wonder how one can live through that with a loved one and still fall into the trap their own self.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sister!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to try and keep a sense of humor through it all otherwise I would go crazy !!!

I truly believe my niece and nephew are living proof of why you get out of bad marriage ASAP !!! I think if I would have lived with their father I would have been addicted to crack also !

I just hope and pray neither of my children go down that path .

I used to be the big ' Bi!@h ' in the family cause I would do the tough love approach and I would preach about enabling them . Finally after about six years of drilling it into my sisters head , she has finally found a NarAnon meeting close to her and she has gone regularly for about seven months now . She is slowly on her road to recovering but she still has her moments of weakness .

We really thought my nephew had finally hit his rock bottom this time , he was laid up in the hospital having a CAT scan on his head !! he was beat up really bad , needed about forty stitches in total , mostly on his face . Guess it wasn't enough to have a brush with death !! ?? !! . really makes you wonder how this one drug could take such hold over someone !