SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Carl Jung on Addiction (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/150237-carl-jung-addiction.html)

outtolunch 03-14-2012 11:28 AM

I am not overly fond of the disease model as it relates to drugs.

The population in the U.S. has been trending chronic immaturity, entitlement and instant gratification for decades. Mix these values with easy availability, low cost, increasingly high potency and tolerance of hard core drugs
(including pills) and it's the perfect storm.

Limiya 03-14-2012 12:09 PM

I don't mean to sound dumb here or anything. But i thought a disease is something you can pass on from one person to another?? such as the black death or leprosy?
Yet i also notice things like Alzheimers disease is a 'disease'.
Yet if you told someone you have a disease they automatically think of something catching.
So is every illness potentially a disease?
Sorry if i'm off topic and i am not sounding very clear. But i've always thought of addiction as just addiction. And never thought of it as a 'disease'!!!

Regards,
Limiya

outtolunch 03-14-2012 12:47 PM

Well then, let's call it a disease of choice.

Only way to "catch it" is to try it.

I once worked with a guy who dabbled in all sorts of drugs when he was young and stupid. Then he tried heroin and he was instantly hooked. The way he figurged it, was if he went back for round 2 he would have spent the rest of his life on his knees doing what a guy has to do to sustain his habit. He stopped all drugs and alcohol cause he knew they would lead back to his doc.

30 some years later, he still had dreams about his first and only time. As he put it, "extreme fear of the consequences" was the only thing that kept him away.

hypochondriac 03-14-2012 12:56 PM

I don't believe in the disease model of addiction and I like the idea that addiction is an attitude but it doesn't follow that that attitude is bad, and certainly not a 'criminal offense against morality'. The idea that people who suffer from addictions have a 'weak mind' is totally abhorrent to humanity as it ignores the very real fact that the majority of alcoholics also suffer from mental health problems. I suppose this type of thinking would see depression as a 'selfish weakness' as well.

The last paragraph:

You want to make this world better, then follow the role model of discipline set by a military drill sergeant. Live by it, expect others to as well and have little to no sympathy for those who will disagree.

This completely undermines any concept of individuality or the idea that discussion or thought is good, exactly what the writer was proposing earlier as the reason addiction is bad, because it is an action without thought.

From my encounters with people with addictions I've generally found them to be people who think too much and who have an idealistic morality, certainly not people who act through selfishness and lack of thought.

I don't think addiction should be looked at as a moral issue at all.

incitingsilence 03-15-2012 10:45 AM

Leshner provides some of the most in-depth, rational information about addiction.

Disease of choice, is exactly how he speaks of an addiction to drugs. Even to the point of yes you had to take the drug to begin with, but you didn’t choose to have the disease.

A bit older but very interesting nonetheless as are the links to the left.
Addiction Disease

atoms555 04-15-2014 07:02 PM

Know thy Jung

I've read much about and by Jung. Google "correspondence between Jung and Bill W." and you will how Jung was (at least partially) instrumental in creating AA Although I don't necessarilly disagree w the guy who. quoted Jung, there's no serious reason to believe Jung agreed w him.\
Jung preached that few escaped addiction with the exception of those who had a SPIRITUAL AWAKENING!
:discuss:discuss

atoms555 04-15-2014 07:11 PM

outtolunch we got to do brunch sometimes in Nashville

Ann 04-15-2014 07:16 PM

Aa vark is indeed correct, and I *do* apologise!
After you posted, I went back, and re-read the post again. It *is* another's commentary, with Jung's quote only as an opening!
This is an old thread that keeps popping up. Historyteach hasn't been here for years and her original post was not all by Jung at all...as she clearly noted and apologized for.

I think this discussion really is pointless from here on and am closing this thread.