Language of Letting Go - May 14 - Honesty

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 14 - Honesty

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Honesty

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
--Step Five of Al-Anon

Talking openly and honestly to another person about ourselves, in an attitude that reflects self-responsibility, is critical to recovery.

It's important to admit what we have done wrong to others and to ourselves. Verbalize our beliefs and our behaviors. Get our resentments and fears out in the open.

That's how we release our pain. That's how we release old beliefs and feelings. That's how we are set free. The more clear and specific we can be with our Higher Power, ourselves, and another person, the more quickly we will experience that freedom.

Step Five is an important part of the recovery process. For those of us who have learned to keep secrets from others, and ourselves it is not just a step - it is a leap toward becoming healthy.

Today I will remember that it's okay to talk about the issues that bother me. It is by sharing my issues that I will grow beyond them. I will also remember that it's okay to be selective about those in whom I confide. I can trust my instincts and choose someone who will not use my disclosures against me, and who will give me healthy feedback.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's what this program is all about, one codie helping another, good days and bad, as we walk this path together sharing our light.

Hugs
Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann...

Once again thank you for sharing this. I have read this or similar before, but for some reason today it is hitting me. One of the most freeing aspects of my recovery has been in having enough courage to talk about what is truly happening and has been happening in my life. I don't have to blab about everything to everyone, but I have decided "no more" when it comes to my close friends and family. I have let them in and they have been such a support for me. Also, having this forum and sharing with the wonderful people here has been so incredibly powerful.

I have beeen so surprised... not really sure why, except that it is part of that codie behavior... that the people I have shared with do not judge me. They don't look at me and think, "what is wrong with her, why did she stay so long" or if they do in private, it is not what is conveyed to me. They have helped me to learn that I am not a bad person because of my choices and what I have done to survive. They knew, before I did that I did not cause my AH's issues and addiction and they have helped me forward.

Thanks again to all of you and Ann in particular for your devotion to your own well being and ours!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Imallright)))

You touched my heart here, maybe because of how grateful I am to those who went before me and if I can pass on even a tiny bit of what they shared with me, it's all good.

I had to learn who it is safe to share with and who it is not. We call people who have never been touched by addiction "earthlings" here, and I know that they will never really "get" how sick our side of addiction can be (and I pray that they never have to find out). So I keep it light with them and share my deeper issues with people here and in recovery and it helps me to feel a little less "peculiar"

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Hugs