Am I "addicted" to work?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I "addicted" to work?

Sorry that I haven't been online lately, but I have noticed that I'm staying later and later at work. When I am working, I don't think about anything personal. I feel completely at peace. I come home long enough to eat dinner, shower, sleep 6-7 hours, and I go back for more. I'm sure this is some kind of defense mechanism. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts tonight. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MtnGirl65 View Post
When I am working, I don't think about anything personal. I feel completely at peace.
Not sure I'd call it an addiction, but maybe avoidance? By working, are you working on you? What happens when there's no work to do? Or, is your job the kind of job that is what you love to do?

Balance. There was a recent Just for Today that Ann posted that was on Balance.

I know I stay and work longer and later on days/evenings when I don't have other plans. But, it's only because of my living situation that I can't come home and garden, or read in a relaxed atmosphere, etc. But, I wouldn't rather work than do something with my friends, or go to a meeting. I hope you're still taking time for you! friends, walking, talking, sharing, family, etc. Anything that feels good for you!

(((hugs)))
Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it. I live it. At work I know my worth. I know that I'm good at what I do and I'm with people that know it too. That ask me questions because they know I know. I don't know that it will work long term. But I understand that it gives you value. It gives me value. And it gives me respect that I get no where else.

That might not help you, but I'm there too. I KNOW I'd damn good at what I do. It gives me peace.

When we can handle the rest, we will.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Work was my escape for a good number of years. At work I was important. People respected me and I felt like I could control or influence what was happening around me. I hid at the office, because home was not fun. But you know, work wasn't enough either... I was hiding and I didn't know how to connect and live my life.

I finally was so miserable that I didn't know if work was the problem or if home was the problem and I decided to leave work and figure out what was best for me. It was one of the first steps in putting me first and finding me again. As it turns out, I was not happy at home either...tough to feel good when the husband has a problem with addiction and it totally impacts your life... but until I decided to stop hiding, I wasn't dealing with the real issue. Stepping away from a crazy, high pressure job and hiding place, and then taking the time to see what I wanted out of life, lead me to make the decision to grab the reins ... in my case literally... of my life and move on.

Please think about WHY you are staying at work... and if it's not because you LOVE what you do, then figure out what you do LOVE to do and do it!

All the best to you.